Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Are vindaloos getting tamer? Or am I getting harder?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I got a 16 chilli sauce gift pack for Christmas from my sister in law.
Looking forward to trying “The Burning Ring of Uranus”

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
In Barcelona and had a chicken vindaloo. Tasty but not really fiery. I go into today with complete anal confidence.
I have had a number of so called fiery options in the famous Curry Row in Manhattan over the years, vindeloo, Naga..... not a patch on the UK versions... very tame by comparison.... maybe the Brits have more heat tolerance.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’ve no doubt they have made them tamer for the weak, woke millennials and Gen Z’ers.

And by “they” I do of course mean Guardian readers.

They are ashamed to be British.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Speaking of curry, can anyone recommend a good curry house/takeaway in Brighton/Hove, I'm in Withdean and whilst the one near me are decent, recently, they have seemed a little bland. tia.
Curry house would include Chilli Pickle, Curry Leaf Cafe, Planet India (veg), and that new Dishoom gaff called Permit Room.
I'm in Fiveways, and our local takeaway -- Agra -- is decent enough and, staying on thread, their vindaloo is suitably fiery yet still tasty.

Curry house would include Chilli Pickle, Curry Leaf Cafe, Planet India (veg), and that new Dishoom gaff called Permit Room.
I'm in Fiveways, and our local takeaway -- Agra -- is decent enough and, staying on thread, their vindaloo is suitably fiery yet still tasty.
Brilliant, I have never tried a vindaloo before, I am very tempted. Thanks for then suggestions.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I’m a bit of a softie, Chicken Pathia is as hot as I find enjoyable. What’s that, 6/10 on the spice scale?

I know every curry house is different, but I’d appreciate if someone wanted to write out a scale.

1/10 - Korma
3/10 - Tikka Masala

Etc

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I can’t handle really spicy curries, I always stick with chicken & prawn biriyani… I just don’t see the need to order something I know I’ll hate just to be “a bloke”

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have had a number of so called fiery options in the famous Curry Row in Manhattan over the years, vindeloo, Naga..... not a patch on the UK versions... very tame by comparison.... maybe the Brits have more heat tolerance.
I find they’re more tame in general, even in the UK.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Had a Phall in Reigate curry house in 1996.

Threw up.

Not bothered much with curry since.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here