Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Are vindaloos getting tamer? Or am I getting harder?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
If you want hot, go for the Naga. Tastes better too. [emoji106]
This is my mantra of late....the Naga chilli has a definite taste profile included in the heat, great choice imho.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think they probably have, but it's a good thing IMHO.

Vindaloo should have a unique taste because of the vinegar so you don't want to mask that with to much chili powder.

People are more savvy with their tastes these days, it's not enough anymore to just have a basic tomato based curry that makes your mouth burn - the comments about Naga attest to that - they're great because of the heat and flavor combo.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
What is the point of a Korma? It's not really a curry. I find it completely tasteless without 50 grams of salt and pepper.

Madras is my favourite with the full works of Bombay potato, naan bread, poppadoms and mango chutney.

Vindaloo and phall from restaurants can be lethal in hotness although it's been months since we had a takeaway. Can't take risks with Covid-19.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
You need a Phall

My old flat mate used to eat Phal's . . . He'd set himself up on the dining table with a pint of stella and a pint of milk . . . . Windows open and he'd hoe in, sweating like a Geordie in a spelling test. Quite funny to watch.

When he spilt some it stained through 2 table cloths and permantly stained an old oak table. :rolleyes:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
My old flat mate used to eat Phal's . . . He'd set himself up on the dining table with a pint of stella and a pint of milk . . . . Windows open and he'd hoe in, sweating like a Geordie in a spelling test. Quite funny to watch.

When he spilt some it stained through 2 table cloths and permantly stained an old oak table. :rolleyes:

Haha. I used to eat it at Uni (Newcastle :lolol:) until it gave me such bad stomach cramps that I was in pain for hours

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Been up through the Curry levels to Phall in my younger days but not now, much prefer a nice Garlic Chicken Bhuna, with garlic rice, garlic naan and bombay potato's and sprout bhaji on the side. If I want something a bit spicier I cook it myself with nice fresh home grown chilli's so I can control the heat to what is comfortable.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
What is the point of a Korma? It's not really a curry. I find it completely tasteless without 50 grams of salt and pepper.

Madras is my favourite with the full works of Bombay potato, naan bread, poppadoms and mango chutney.

Vindaloo and phall from restaurants can be lethal in hotness although it's been months since we had a takeaway. Can't take risks with Covid-19.

Indian food generally gets hotter as you go south (in India!).

Korma is a north-Indian dish.

Vindaloo is from Goa in southwest India.

Madras is from, errr, Madras* in southeast India.

N.B almost every UK "Indian" restaurant is run/staffed by people from Pakistan or Bangladesh - i.e. north "India"

*Chennai, if you will...

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
They’re not as hot as they used to be, are they?

Are you still in Germany? I have found that in Germany, spicy very rarely means spicy.. So, if in need of a proper vindaloo, the UK will help you decide if you are getting harder (oo-er) or not..

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've been to Chennai . . . . everything was too hot, O lived on garlic prawns, lentil dahl lager and gin & tonic for a month!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are you still in Germany? I have found that in Germany, spicy very rarely means spicy.. So, if in need of a proper vindaloo, the UK will help you decide if you are getting harder (oo-er) or not..

Oh god, don’t get me, or [MENTION=238]Uncle Buck[/MENTION] for that matter, started on German curries. Pathetic is being polite; a vindaloo will kill a German.

My thread relates to vindaloos in the U.K.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If there is a threat of heat they cover it in coconut.

India Club by the Adelon is the only decent one I have had in Berlin.

As an aside, the home grown scotch bonnet chills your Frau gave me have livened up my lunch time salad somewhat.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In Barcelona and had a chicken vindaloo. Tasty but not really fiery. I go into today with complete anal confidence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here