Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are there some cracks beginning to show?

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
That is your opinion. As I said, it used to be standard practise, and thousands did it. There but for the grace of God, go I.

Out of interest, would you still leave a young child unattended for a long period of time in a holiday complex in todays society?

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
Out of interest, would you still leave a young child unattended for a long period of time in a holiday complex in todays society?

Out of interest, how much more prevalent do you think child abduction is today compared with, say, the 1970s?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There seems to be a misapprehension that today's society is worse than its ever been. Children were murdered in the 50s and 60s too. Look at the Hindley/Brady murders. Now the media have painted a picture of a paedophile on every corner, which is untrue. The place where children get abused the most is in their own home.
Children cannot play out like they used to and more's the pity.

To answer your question, if I knew the room was being monitored and I was in contact then possibly. It would depend on the individual circumstances.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Out of interest, how much more prevalent do you think child abduction is today compared with, say, the 1970s?

Wouldn't have a clue. I wasn't alive then. But even from my youth, todays society is seen to be much less trustworthy. You rarely see children playing in the street, or people leaving their front door open because you don't trust or sometimes even know the people that live around you. It's probably partially due to the fact that when something particularly bad happens, the news is spread much faster and wider nowadays.

But I'd be pretty confident that the number of parents leaving their young children unattended, even when on holiday, is considerably lower nowadays.

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
Wouldn't have a clue. I wasn't alive then. But even from my youth, todays society is seen to be much less trustworthy. You rarely see children playing in the street, or people leaving their front door open because you don't trust or sometimes even know the people that live around you. It's probably partially due to the fact that when something particularly bad happens, the news is spread much faster and wider nowadays.

But I'd be pretty confident that the number of parents leaving their young children unattended, even when on holiday, is considerably lower nowadays.

It's about the same.

Just for your information, you can find out about things that happened before you were born. I do it all the time...

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
I was wondering why the article Mr psychobilly referenced earlier was so certain as to the identity of two abductors, when this case has suffered from a quite baffling lack of evidence and some rather odd behaviour from several people. Surely no-one unconnected with the case really knows what happened. Which got me musing...

The Mystery of the Disappearence of Madeleine McCann - what are the possibilities?

1) She left the apartment by herself

2) She was taken from the apartment by her parents

3) She was taken from the apartment by a third party

4) Some other force agency or power caused her to leave the apartment

5) She has not left the apartment

Being taken by aliens is covered by 3), teleportation is covered by 4), hiding under a Cloak of Invisibility would be 5). Not sure whether spontaneous combustion would be 4) or 5).

Have I missed any options?

Last edited:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I can't believe this was 10 years ago. I just hope little Maddie didn't suffer, or still suffering. Poor little thing.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
I thought the dividing line was that working class people have dinner in the middle of the day, but middle class people have dinner in the evening.

Is there another definition then?

Dinner at dinner time & tea at tea time .

I thought the definition of working class was "having a television bigger than your bookcase ".

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
That is your opinion. As I said, it used to be standard practise, and thousands did it. There but for the grace of God, go I.

and I,

although the thought of doing it now makes me shudder. Was the world really that much safer or were we naive or just plain stupid.
all i know is that i would never contemplate doing it if i had my time again.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There is a very plausible theory that they pacified her with a drug of some sort each evening, which they had easy access to as doctors, so she would sleep, because she was a light sleeper and a bit of a handful, but they failed to correctly calculate the half life of the drug, and the tail off of the sedative effect of each dose. After several consecutive doses, with tail offs still in the system, the compound effect finally took over, and that was that, allegedly.

As a pharmacologist, I can confirm this is plausible.

I also agree there is something dreadfully wrong about this. The first time I saw them on TV, and I was with a social worker mate at the time, we both looked at each other and said 'they did it'. No evidence, just gut feeling. And it came as a surprise since we were in no way expecting to have an 'Oh my' moment.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
and I,

although the thought of doing it now makes me shudder. Was the world really that much safer or were we naive or just plain stupid.
all i know is that i would never contemplate doing it if i had my time again.

Naive because nobody would ever expect something like this to happen.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There seems to be a misapprehension that today's society is worse than its ever been. Children were murdered in the 50s and 60s too. Look at the Hindley/Brady murders. Now the media have painted a picture of a paedophile on every corner, which is untrue. The place where children get abused the most is in their own home.
Children cannot play out like they used to and more's the pity.

To answer your question, if I knew the room was being monitored and I was in contact then possibly. It would depend on the individual circumstances.

It was worse in the past in my view. Ever go down the gents at the clock tower; it was permanently staffed by a rotating band of leery old blokes 'reaching out' to any youn 'uns, mad enough to tread the carpet of piss, bog roll and shit awaiting them. So, parents were willfully ignorant and feckless to let us out, without proper training.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It was worse in the past in my view. Ever go down the gents at the clock tower; it was permanently staffed by a rotating band of leery old blokes 'reaching out' to any youn 'uns, mad enough to tread the carpet of piss, bog roll and shit awaiting them. So, parents were willfully ignorant and feckless to let us out, without proper training.

The gents at the Clock Tower is not somewhere I would frequent!! The ladies was quite clean, and had an attendant.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Would you say Jamie Bulger's mother was responsible for him being abducted? Have you ever turned your back on your child for a second? Kept them within sight every minute of their lives?

I for one haven't, but I certainly wouldn't leave them indoors whilst I go out for a meal or anything else. The only victim is that poor little girl, the parents should have been prosecuted.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Guilty as charged. I left a four year old and a one year old in a chalet in Pontins. Pontins employed cleaners security managers barmen etc, but the thousands and thousands that went to those holiday camps didn't have their children abducted.

Was there not a possibility that your four year old could have got out of bed and injured themselves somehow?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here