Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the Playoffs out of reach?

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
That's actually quite a decent post. Ok not sure we have bought in more top class players than out promotion rivals though, have we? We certainly haven't spent more than most of them.

For what it's worth, I agree that Poyet needs to be brave and go for it now. Draws are no use. I don't necessarily see that we need to play two up front though, especially as we aren't used to playing that way. A formation including Ulloa, Vicente, Orlandi, Buckley etc can still be very attacking, we don't necessarily need two strikers. We just need to go for it right from the start at home, get a couple of goals and then close the game out.

Defo needs to gamble a bit more but he hasn't since he took over so why now? Also not at all convinced about Vicente. We don't look dramatically better when he has played.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Crazy that some people think the playoffs are out of reach.

You lot do realise that we get 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw and there are 17 games left to play, right??

And just as crazy that some people think we deserve to be in the play-offs! I'm pretty relaxed about it.

If we finish in the play-offs I'll be delighted, 7th-9th and I'll be glad we've made progress but slightly disappointed to just miss out on, 10th would be a little more disappointing, anything lower would be frustrating.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
anything lower than 10th and with whats been spent will TB be looking elsewhere, I hope not!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
That's actually quite a decent post. Ok not sure we have bought in more top class players than out promotion rivals though, have we? We certainly haven't spent more than most of them.

For what it's worth, I agree that Poyet needs to be brave and go for it now. Draws are no use. I don't necessarily see that we need to play two up front though, especially as we aren't used to playing that way. A formation including Ulloa, Vicente, Orlandi, Buckley etc can still be very attacking, we don't necessarily need two strikers. We just need to go for it right from the start at home, get a couple of goals and then close the game out.

What has baffled me for a while now, is do you remember when we went 3-5-2 against Millwall and changed it back very quickly after about 30 mins, when it was clearly not working??? A few points about this.1 He went to that system 3 days after a Saturday game, surely not enough time to work on it, unless. 2. They have played it in training,in which case they either knew what they were doing and just had a very bad night, or it was a terrible tactical change and not thought out. 3. I actually believe with the players in our squad, this could be our most effective system, with a bit of work. Three centre backs, with Bridcutt playing the middle(sweeper-ish role), Bridge and Bruno/Calderon pushing on providing the width. Vicente/Lopez/Orlandi playing just behing a front two, of Ulloa and Cms/Hoskins, with two midfielders a little deeper either side of the Vicente role. What a fantastic, attacking line up and totally suited to our better players.

-------------------------------TK-------------------------
---------------Upson-----------------ElAbd/Greer---------
----------------------------Bridcutt----------------------
Bruno/Calderon--------------------------------------Bridge
---------------Buckley/Lopez-------Lualua/Orlandi---------
---------------------------Vicente-------------------------
-------------------Hoskins/Cms-----Ulloa-------------------

That is the side and formation to win 11 games out of 17,,shit or bust!!!!

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Nope I think we blew it by Brum. However NEXT year we are going to tear the championship up

You lot say that every year :p

Listen, looking at your remaining fixtures it is going to be very tough, can only see 2 or 3 easy games there. But one club normally puts a run together between now and the end of the season, it could be you. But my gut instinct is that you will fall short and finish 8th or 9th.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Defo needs to gamble a bit more but he hasn't since he took over so why now? Also not at all convinced about Vicente. We don't look dramatically better when he has played.

It was a terrible decision, to activate the clause in his contract, we should have just let him go. Is it four games he has been back for now??? Fantastic player, but a liability to the team, unless he actually wants to play....I really hope he makes a difference I might add, but it's not looking good atm.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
anything lower than 10th and with whats been spent will TB be looking elsewhere, I hope not!

Nope. Read the thread from Sheebo about the meeting last night with Paul Barber. Gus has huge pulling power and is a main reason why certain players are here and why we are being offered big name players. I would think it will take a lot more than finishing lower than 10th to get rid of him - bad luck Kev!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
It was a terrible decision, to activate the clause in his contract, we should have just let him go. Is it four games he has been back for now??? Fantastic player, but a liability to the team, unless he actually wants to play....I really hope he makes a difference I might add, but it's not looking good atm.

If he is a liability, why have you picked him in your team?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
No.

There's 51 points to play for. We have 5 points to make up.

I hope that helps

- - - Updated - - -

Eh?

Please explain to me how VICENTE is a liability to the team?

Anyone who's heart is not in it is a liability to the side and what they are trying to achieve. I don't believe he wants to be here, that makes him a liability. I hope he proves me wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

If he is a liability, why have you picked him in your team?

Because if he wants, to play and is up for it, that in my mind is our best team. If not stick Lopez in that role.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. Read the thread from Sheebo about the meeting last night with Paul Barber. Gus has huge pulling power and is a main reason why certain players are here and why we are being offered big name players. I would think it will take a lot more than finishing lower than 10th to get rid of him - bad luck Kev!

Part of the problem with a lot of people on this board, is they believe everything that comes out of the club. People like Barber are not going to tell a meeting off fans, anything they don't want them to know. Just just the way it is, same as in politics.....Not saying that is wrong, that is their job.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Anyone who's heart is not in it is a liability to the side and what they are trying to achieve. I don't believe he wants to be here, that makes him a liability. I hope he proves me wrong.

Whether this his ideal club or not doesn't make any difference.

If he tries 100%, which I believe EVERY professional does, then he is not a liability.

The guy played for Valencia and SPAIN for crying out loud. He is a PROFESSIONAL.

Do you honestly think, when watching him, that he's not trying?

Tevez even f***ed off abroad, the clearest indication he didnt want to be at City last year, but he came back and helped them win the title with some ridiculous work rate and quality. A footballer will give their all on the pitch. It's their job.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Whether this his ideal club or not doesn't make any difference.

If he tries 100%, which I believe EVERY professional does, then he is not a liability.

The guy played for Valencia and SPAIN for crying out loud. He is a PROFESSIONAL.

Do you honestly think, when watching him, that he's not trying?

Tevez even f***ed off abroad, the clearest indication he didnt want to be at City last year, but he came back and helped them win the title with some ridiculous work rate and quality. A footballer will give their all on the pitch. It's their job.

If you really really believe, that every footballer gives 100%. Then I can't debate any point with you. Because I certainly don't believe that is the case and never has been and never will be.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Part of the problem with a lot of people on this board, is they believe everything that comes out of the club. People like Barber are not going to tell a meeting off fans, anything they don't want them to know. Just just the way it is, same as in politics.....Not saying that is wrong, that is their job.

Well I am more inclined to believe them before I believe anything you say, put it that way.

Why on earth would he make something like that up? You sir, need to get over this "I hate Poyet" fixation and move on.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If you really really believe, that every footballer gives 100%. Then I can't debate any point with you. Because I certainly don't believe that is the case and never has been and never will be.

Point to me a footballer who you don't think actually tries.

I'd be fascinated to know.

If a footballer is not trying the crowd will pick up on it in SECONDS. I have never seen one for the Albion. Leon Knight was the closest.

- - - Updated - - -

Also well done for avoiding the issue of whether or not you think Vicente is trying.

Clearly you have made a statement indicating Vicente is a liability...and now have nothing to back it up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here