Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the Playoffs out of reach?

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Im traditionally an optimist but I have to say I am not convinced we are going to make it into the play offs this year. I read in the argus that Orlandi was suggesting 11 wins in 17 will secure it. We have played 29 games and only won 10 so far and our current form is not all that different. Maybe another year in the Championship and squad strengthening in the summer will put us in a better position for next season. What do you think?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we don't get 6 points from the games against Hull and Blackburn, then we can say Goodnight Rapid Vienna to the playoffs.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
5 of those 10 wins came in the first 7 games! I think it all depends on how well Ulloa settles in and how well any new tactics work. If we play Ulloa and CMS upfront together and it works then we might have a chance.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We can make the play-offs, all depends on Ulloa. With the addition of a goal-scorer we have the whole package to win 11 out of 17. I think its going to be a fun end to the season, even if we fall short in the end.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It would not only take an incredible run (relative to our form to here) but also an equally poor run by 2 or 3 of those around us. Realistically the chance has gone, but I suppose stranger things have happened

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Its quite a big IF that Ulloa will make such a quick impact. I agree with Blue Valkyrie that the next few games are crucial and must be wins not draws. I think we already know this but the draws has killed our points tally this season. Ulloa and CMS could be awesome but how do you accommodate both without playing two up top maybe Gus's hand will be forced

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The top five have gone and flown the nest. We won't catch any of them. The only reason we are still within touching distance of 6th is because the wheels have temporarily come off at Boro. If they get their act together, then it is definitely goodnight.
With home games to come v Hull, Palace and Leicester and away at Cardiff, Boro and Leeds, it doesn't look too hopeful.
There is the added factor of teams below us catching fire and overtaking us. We need a minimum of 10 wins and when we have won 5 out of the last 22, it would take a monumental up-turn in form to achieve this.
Only getting two points out of the last nine has now left no room for manouvere. I agree that unless we win the next two games it is all over for this season.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
No, I believe we will finish tenth again,..... if we had a clear starting 11, with a clear shape, then I think we could get some consistency and push on, but too often our starting lineup is changed and this adds the instability we see in the performances. Look at Cardiff, I suspect, even without looking, that there is a good chance that barring injuries and suspensions, they know what the team is likely to be on a weekly basis.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Even Tony Bloom and Poyet have both said publicly at the start of the season the play offs is the target. And so it should be with the squad we have. But what makes me laugh, is the fans that act as spokesmen for the club, by washing over the fact we have badly underachieved this season, by saying "hey ho another year in the championship is fine by us"....I'm sure it is fine by most fans. Not sure is fine by the inner circle of the club though and for season ticket sales.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I believe we will finish tenth again,..... if we had a clear starting 11, with a clear shape, then I think we could get some consistency and push on, but too often our starting lineup is changed and this adds the instability we see in the performances. Look at Cardiff, I suspect, even without looking, that there is a good chance that barring injuries and suspensions, they know what the team is likely to be on a weekly basis.

So without saying as much, you blame Poyet as everything you say is spot on and comes under the manager of a club remit....i.e knowing your best team/system/tactics etc???

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
if can get into the playoffs from this point, that would be one hell of an achievement by GP. Always optimistic but I think all the other top 10-12 sides know there's massive money in the premiership next year, strengthened teams accordingly, so highly unlikely any of the present top 5/6 will falter now and there has to be a team or two below who could easily overtake if they hit form. Happy with way season gone and likely finish position but with spanking new stadium and seats to fill (the SW 1901 did not sell out and that says a lot as last available ones for 4 years), next season has to be a promotion one from day 1 and if at any stage the team go into slump, Gus has to sort that far quicker than previously or else its another season in the championship.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If we don't get 6 points from the games against Hull and Blackburn, then we can say Goodnight Rapid Vienna to the playoffs.

I would have said 4 points before Saturday. But yep six is required now, and that's a big ask when you look at our record against top six sides. We normally defend and normally lose. We will have a clearer idea what going to happen around 4.45pm Saturday....If we again see Cms/Vicente/Buckley/Lualua warming their arses on the bench we will know once and for all, without any doubt, that Poyet is full of shit!!!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
next season has to be a promotion one from day 1 and if at any stage the team go into slump, Gus has to sort that far quicker than previously or else its another season in the championship.

The thing about next season is I doubt we'll get the same fortune of the 3 relegated going tits up for the first 5 months. Then you have to believe Bolton, Wolves and Blackburn wake up and get serious plus the money will go into places like Forest and Leeds and maybe others.

Getting out of this league (the right way) has always been a bit of a lottery and I can't see it changing any time soon

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Even Tony Bloom and Poyet have both said publicly at the start of the season the play offs is the target. And so it should be with the squad we have. But what makes me laugh, is the fans that act as spokesmen for the club, by washing over the fact we have badly underachieved this season, by saying "hey ho another year in the championship is fine by us"....I'm sure it is fine by most fans. Not sure is fine by the inner circle of the club though and for season ticket sales.

- - - Updated - - -

What you seem to forget time and time again Kev, is that the play-offs are also the target for about 15 other clubs, who are all trying just as hard to get there as we are. We still have a decent chance, three wins in a row an we will be right in there. I would agree that not making the play-offs this year would be a big disappointment, but if we finish 8th or 9th then it will at least still be progress. Next season is the season that we have to make top six. And if we were to get promoted next year then I really don't see how anyone with a brain in their head could complain at going from League 1 to the Premier League in 4 seasons. Anyone who thinks that isn't impressive has absolutely no idea about the game, and is clearly one of these 'something for nothing, instant success' morons that seem to populate the country these days.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London

- - - Updated - - -

So without saying as much, you blame Poyet as everything you say is spot on and comes under the manager of a club remit....i.e knowing your best team/system/tactics etc???

I am a season ticket holder and am just as ambitious as the next fan but realistically we are into the second year competing in the championship which is as tough as its ever been. Underachieved compared to what exactly? I think when you refer to the inner circle you actually mean you !

scooter1

How soon is now?
Its all been a bit safe of late, and its backfired. If Poyet wants to make the play-offs then he has to start taking a few risks. At this stage, where we are, draws are no longer much good - we need to start winning. If that means two up front, then this is what he should do. It could be that the club want further consolidation this season for a proper push next season. Whilst you can't choose when you're promoted, at this stage in the season GP/TB can choose whether to really go for it, and perhaps they're happy to let this one pass us by.
I can't wait to see us in the Premier Lge, but we have to go up and be able to hold our own - and as it stands with the current squad, I think we'll struggle. No one wants to be the whipping boys, and I reckon we're 3 or 4 good players short

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I would have said 4 points before Saturday. But yep six is required now, and that's a big ask when you look at our record against top six sides. We normally defend and normally lose. We will have a clearer idea what going to happen around 4.45pm Saturday....If we again see Cms/Vicente/Buckley/Lualua warming their arses on the bench we will know once and for all, without any doubt, that Poyet is full of shit!!!

I kind of agree with the above. The amount of times this season I've got to the ground, then heard the starting lineup and my heart has sunk. I hope we go for it now, I know it's a cliche but all our home games are now like cup ties - attack attack attack

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
What you seem to forget time and time again Kev, is that the play-offs are also the target for about 15 other clubs, who are all trying just as hard to get there as we are. We still have a decent chance, three wins in a row an we will be right in there. I would agree that not making the play-offs this year would be a big disappointment, but if we finish 8th or 9th then it will at least still be progress. Next season is the season that we have to make top six. And if we were to get promoted next year then I really don't see how anyone with a brain in their head could complain at going from League 1 to the Premier League in 4 seasons. Anyone who thinks that isn't impressive has absolutely no idea about the game, and is clearly one of these 'something for nothing, instant success' morons that seem to populate the country these days.

And what you seem to forget Commander, is we have probably bought in more players(top class players) than any other club around us, that didn't go up last season and the league table tells you we aren't any better. People talk about 11 wins from 17 games lol. We have only won 10 all season, it's last season all over again. Good start and then fall away, when we don't stick to a settled side and Poyet over complicates things, that aren't that complicated....Having said all that, you may not believe this but I still think we can do it, but only if he swallows a bit of pride and plays a different way. I actually don't doubt Poyet can go on to be a top manager, believe it or not. But he won't all the time he is so inflexable and won't accept that the beautiful game, may sometimes need a tweek. Especially when everyone knows how to play against it, because your so bloody predictable.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
A point from our game in hand would put us 7th, are Watford going to have a points deduction for that dodgy transfer last season?

Playoffs are not out of reach just yet, we have got 17 games to play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here