Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are schools loosing control

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Harriet Harman was on the radio yesterday (plugging her book, natch) and suggested that when she was a university student, there was at least one lecturer who would offer to improve female students' grades if they'd sleep with him. This was, apparently, known to go on all over the place.

I don't recall what grade Ms Harman got, by the way.

I don't know what she's moaning about. She had it made, there weren't any female lecturers on my course...

I appreciate that , but I bet it's a hard core of parents causing the problems , which then affects discipline on a larger scale with in the school ?
regards
DR

can't have kids ruling the roost at school, running amok abusing teachers and staff :nono:
regards
DR

Make your mind up. Is it the parents who are causing the problem? Or the kids?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I posted on the holiday thread I was talking to chap who lived in Spain but worked in England and one of the reasons he gave was the discipline in schools in Spain was a lot better for his teenage children.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Make your mind up. Is it the parents who are causing the problem? Or the kids?

It is a mix of kids knowing their parents will go against the teachers. Recently , well 10 years ago when I was working, a primary school teacher told me that a day doesnt go by without her being told by a child of under 7 to f..k off when told to do something that they didnt want to do.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Most of our school work is due to vandalism nowadays

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Harriet Harman was on the radio yesterday (plugging her book, natch) and suggested that when she was a university student, there was at least one lecturer who would offer to improve female students' grades if they'd sleep with him. This was, apparently, known to go on all over the place.

I can quite believe it! A few of my female friends had late night ´study meets´at lecturers houses when I was at university, I never really thought anything of it at the time.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
As I posted on the holiday thread I was talking to chap who lived in Spain but worked in England and one of the reasons he gave was the discipline in schools in Spain was a lot better for his teenage children.

It isn´t.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Harriet Harman has written a book titled Natch?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

It isn´t.

He lives just outside Malaga and that was his view I wouldnt know not having teenage children at school there but he said it was one of the main reasons for living there and working in the UK.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
90% Social media/phones. 10% parents backing kids vs schools/teachers - unsure what has caused this to become the norm however.

Jan 30, 2008
Most of our school work is due to vandalism nowadays

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
, spoke to a caretaker at a School in Peacehaven, spent a lot of his working life in the Building industry , said he couldn't believe what kids were getting away with when he took on his current role and VANDALISM WAS ONE OF THE ISSUES
regards
DR

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. They contradict their parents and tyrannise teachers!

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Had a parent once at a parent's evening refuse to move until I told her something positive about her son's work.
As he was a little sh*t and hadn't done any work this wasn't possible!
I told parents that his behaviour was very poor and that he needed to do some work and they just said that I was being too negative, they didn't believe in telling their child negative things and that they wouldn't move until I said some positive things about his work.
They sat for 15 minutes stopping others from sitting down until (due to other parents starting to get angry) they stormed off.
The next day I was told by the Head they had made a formal complaint about me! (Fortunately the Head backed me up)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If you think that there is a lack of respect and a sense of entitlement at school age, just wait until they get to university.

mmmm.... the lot I teach (at uni) are wonderful. Massively nicer than 25 years ago . . .

I agree with the OP that the families are the problem. I don't think he's advocating a return to brutality . . .

Where we live, all is an oasis of calm.

We must be fortunate in not really recognising any of the scenarios above in relation to the Young Potting's education at state primary, or the secondary school where they are both currently being educated. Perhaps it is a big city/town thing in the main or are we just lucky?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It is not any worse today than 30 years ago on the whole.
During my time at school, my school used to meet up with a nearby school for mass brawls twice a year, 3 separate arson attacks by pupils on the school, kids would frequently be drunk or high, afternoons were sort of optional, local shops would be raided at lunchtimes and after school by shoplifting kids, a weak teacher would be found out quickly and several were reduced to tears or to screaming rage, some toughened up, others just quit.
I go in to schools now and see far less graffiti, vandalism and deviation from the uniform than when I was an inmate.
I did some work at a school in Hackney and they had the old punishment book from the 70's up on display, listing the various beatings handed out to pupils.
There were 3 strokes of the cane handed out to a boy for "throwing a chisel at Wilkins" 2 strokes each handed out to 2 boys for fighting, 3 strokes for hitting another boy with a mallet, 6 strokes for failing to produce homework at the second opportunity, 6 strokes for talking back and 6 strokes for continual lateness.
Kids have always misbehaved, teachers just don't get the satisfaction of striping their arses anymore when they do.

Jan 30, 2008
It is not any worse today than 30 years ago on the whole.
During my time at school, my school used to meet up with a nearby school for mass brawls twice a year, 3 separate arson attacks by pupils on the school, kids would frequently be drunk or high, afternoons were sort of optional, local shops would be raided at lunchtimes and after school by shoplifting kids, a weak teacher would be found out quickly and several were reduced to tears or to screaming rage, some toughened up, others just quit.
I go in to schools now and see far less graffiti, vandalism and deviation from the uniform than when I was an inmate.
I did some work at a school in Hackney and they had the old punishment book from the 70's up on display, listing the various beatings handed out to pupils.
There were 3 strokes of the cane handed out to a boy for "throwing a chisel at Wilkins" 2 strokes each handed out to 2 boys for fighting, 3 strokes for hitting another boy with a mallet, 6 strokes for failing to produce homework at the second opportunity, 6 strokes for talking back and 6 strokes for continual lateness.
Kids have always misbehaved, teachers just don't get the satisfaction of striping their arses anymore when they do.
NO ONE'S DENYING THAT, MY POINT IS THEY'RE BEING GIVEN THE GREEN LIGHT BY THEIR PARENTS behaviour IN MOST CASES ???
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here