Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are schools loosing control

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Agree that there are other ways than corporal punishment, detentions etc for kids with issues. Learning basic emotional management is something that is given a lot of attention in other school systems, China lead the way in this field, with 'Emotional Intelligence' high on the curriculum. PSHE would be a good conduit for this type of learning but the UK Education Dept does not see it as appropriate, far too concerned with SATS and OFSTED box ticking.

I have been reading a bit about meditation in schools in place of detention, it seems like an interesting idea when implemented properly.

http://www.newsweek.com/education-meditation-after-school-program-holistic-life-504747

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/healt...school-replaces-detention-meditation-orig.cnn

In Australia we seem to be following the UK down the testing testing testing route which is doing my head in. We seeme to spend more time assessing than anything else all the while we are producing kids who are stressed out and worried about performance instead of loving learning. I am getting sick of it.

Jan 30, 2008
Well there's certainly a generation snowflake on here, but up to now it's been 40 years off target. There have always been dodgy schools, areas, problems and parents, but society and education are a million miles away fron the shit of 40 years ago :rolleyes:
so it's got better then
regards
DR

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I have been reading a bit about meditation in schools in place of detention, it seems like an interesting idea when implemented properly.

http://www.newsweek.com/education-meditation-after-school-program-holistic-life-504747

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/healt...school-replaces-detention-meditation-orig.cnn

In Australia we seem to be following the UK down the testing testing testing route which is doing my head in. We seeme to spend more time assessing than anything else all the while we are producing kids who are stressed out and worried about performance instead of loving learning. I am getting sick of it.

Totally agree. I know parents who are willing to move areas for a school that does not buy into this BS. The needs of the kids, and as you say, the love of learning, falls way down the food chain when 'testing' comes first.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If you think that there is a lack of respect and a sense of entitlement at school age, just wait until they get to university.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Need to reverse this liberal, progressive society. Let teachers clip kids round the ear, throw a blackboard rubber or two, swish a cane occasionally, go cottaging in the boys loo..............oops, maybe not.

D

Deleted member 2719

heard on the news that teachers in some areas will be wearing body cams to record behaviour in the class room
, also to many parents coming into schools telling staff how to treat their kids ,kids damaging school property , where's all the discipline gone FFS :rant:
regards
DR

There was a teacher I would have liked to film.:drool:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Well I guess that if Mile Oak approved school, Patcham Fawcett and the Knoll were the epitome of education, it hasn't improved in any way :dunce:

Knoll school was a legend of hard knocks establishments. I went to Neville in the year that we joined up, mental.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
If you think that there is a lack of respect and a sense of entitlement at school age, just wait until they get to university.

Indeed. I am currently dealing with the A-Level students making their applications into university. The conversations tend to go like this:

Them- You have predicted me a C in my subject
Me- Yes
Them- But I need an A to get into my university
Me- But you have not produced a single A grade in the entire 2 years of study. Your grades are all Ds and Cs
Them- Yeah but I need it, can you change my predicted grade?
Me- But I would be lying and that is unprofessional
Them- Yeah but I need it

This then results in a big argument with the student and parent resulting in us just writing down whatever predicted grade they need for university even though it is total fabrication and the student has never gained even close to that mark in their entire two years of study. It really is not fair on those students that work their asses off to get the predicted grade that they fully deserve.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed. I am currently dealing with the A-Level students making their applications into university. The conversations tend to go like this:

Me- Yes
Me- But you have not produced a single A grade in the entire 2 years of study. Your grades are all Ds and Cs
Them- Yeah but I need it

This then results in a big argument with the student and parent resulting in us just writing down whatever predicted grade they need for university even though it is total fabrication and the student has never gained even close to that mark in their entire two years of study. It really is not fair on those students that work their asses off to get the predicted grade that they fully deserve.

The missus says exactly the same. She often has to spend long periods explaining to parents that their children really aren't as good as they think/hope. Once she gets out the IB marking/grading criteria which shows what their work is being judged against the parents attitude shifts.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What's the situation with UK education these days? Is it free schools, academies, or are we back to normal state schools? Genuine question as I've lost track.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I think you have answered your own question. No discipline/respect from parents leads to huge problems in schools. All teachers can do is tell pupils off or give them detentions - if parents then storm into schools arguing with teachers about their precious getting a detention it makes things very hard. The discipline begins at home.
Schools cannot simply kick out poorly behaved kids any more either - there is a mountain of paperwork to wade through first and even then it often gets over turned.

This, absolutely.

There really are some scummy, chavvy, parents who really shouldn't be allowed to breed; who should have been sterilised at puberty.

However, 30-40 years of politicians and tabloids slagging-off teachers has also undermined respect and their authority.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm trying to imagine Pretty Pink Fairy as the model student back in the day...it's quite difficult :lol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Me- Yes
Them- Yeah but I need it

Harriet Harman was on the radio yesterday (plugging her book, natch) and suggested that when she was a university student, there was at least one lecturer who would offer to improve female students' grades if they'd sleep with him. This was, apparently, known to go on all over the place.

I don't recall what grade Ms Harman got, by the way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here