Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arabic comedian thrown off flight

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A good piece on why the Arabic(Islamic) world turned away from science. As your link pertains too a "golden age", a time over a 1500 years ago when the decline of science in the Islamic world began.

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/why-the-arabic-world-turned-away-from-science

It's nothing to do with theology when comparing two real or even fictitious people(whatever your views are) with each other. It's what's recorded that anyone can read.

You and I are not involved in any of these "spats". It's simply looking at the basis from where various groups of faiths grew from.

Christianity no doubt has been horribly corrupted from the original message of the person named as Jesus. On the other hand the message of Islam comes from a person whose actions and messages were far removed from the relative peaceful nature of the Jesus narrative.

Keep on defending those far right ideologies ;)

You seem to be confused about the difference between politics and religion. Again i think your confusion lies in the fact that you are defining a huge and nuanced belief system by the worst of its members. You simply cannot define an entire religion the size of islam along the political spectrum. Well apparently you can, as you seem unaware that it makes no sense.

It would be the same as me saying that all christians are liberal left wingers because jesus was a bit of a pinko, sandle wearing hippy.

Anyway merry Christmas, Peace and goodwill to all men (including Muslims)

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You seem to be confused about the difference between politics and religion. You simply cannot define a religion (especially one with 1.6 members) along the political spectrum. Well apparently you can, as you seem unaware that it makes no sense.

What about all women? Sexist pig! :wink:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You seem to be confused about the difference between politics and religion. Again i think your confusion lies in the fact that you are defining a huge and nuanced belief system by the worst of its members. You simply cannot define an entire religion the size of islam along the political spectrum. Well apparently you can, as you seem unaware that it makes no sense.

This is the biggest issue, Islam in inherently linked to a lot of political parties and political positions.

I'm actually basing it on what they call "the moderates". A moderate Muslim is only moderate when compared to a suicide Bomber(the ultimate extreme). In all other walks of life their views on gays, women, atheists etc are not moderate. They are highly conservative and right wing.

If a moderate Muslims views on those groups of people match that of say a bunch of Christian nutters like Hillsong does't that make the Muslim also a nutter?

It would be the same as me saying that all christians are liberal left wingers because jesus was a bit of a pinko, sandle wearing hippy.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Know that I enjoy our discussions as I see you as a good man who has differing views on the world to myself but can discuss them in a calm rational and productive way :)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This is the biggest issue, Islam in inherently linked to a lot of political parties and political positions.

I'm actually basing it on what they call "the moderates". A moderate Muslim is only moderate when compared to a suicide Bomber(the ultimate extreme). In all other walks of life their views on gays, women, atheists etc are not moderate. They are highly conservative and right wing.

If a moderate Muslims views on those groups of people match that of say a bunch of Christian nutters like Hillsong does't that make the Muslim also a nutter?

Merry Christmas to you too.

Know that I enjoy our discussions as I see you as a good man who has differing views on the world to myself but can discuss them in a calm rational and productive way :)

Thaks TB, appreciate it and you too.

Merry Christmas.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Rubbish, the Catholic Church was being called out and criticised openly in print, radio, TV and social media for years. There were people were calling for their banning constantly.
Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Stephen Fry, all were given a very public platform to rip into the Catholic Church and a lot of people applauded them and parroted their words.

Even good ole Hilary Clinton was found to be hating on the Catholics via the leaked emails.Trump questions the Muslims and it's bad, Clinton hates on the Catholics, the silence is deafening. OH the hypocrisy and double standards.

And yes they got away with it until people started calling them out for their bullshit. The spotlight was shone intensely on their church. To deny that is blatantly misleading or untruthful.

Now we have another religion who is even worse than them and all of a sudden we can't openly criticise them and have to walk on eggs so as to not offend them.

Complete and utter rubbish. Denial and cover up time and time again. You even sound annoyed people attacked the Catholic Church over the issue!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You wouldn't want them baby sitting though would you?

Perhaps this comment is the key to everything.
You can make a flippant comment about a religion namely Catholics,baby sitters and not wanting catholics near children.
With the obvious accusation about peadophillia.You seem quite happy about making this reference because the catholic faith
realises in a modern world it must be open to criticism.

Now try the same line you used again and substitute catholics for Muslims with the same knowledge about evil deeds and children
Thats right, you cant can you
1/ because of hypocricy/double standards
2/ apparently its racist.....even though its mad to believe Islam is a race and all muslims belong to the same race.
3/ because Islam detests being criticised even in a free country where you are permitted to criticise religion

double standards everywhere when it comes to religion

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Perhaps this comment is the key to everything.
You can make a flippant comment about a religion namely Catholics,baby sitters and not wanting catholics near children.
With the obvious accusation about peadophillia.You seem quite happy about making this reference because the catholic faith
realises in a modern world it must be open to criticism.

Now try the same line you used again and substitute catholics for Muslims with the same knowledge about evil deeds and children
Thats right, you cant can you
1/ because of hypocricy/double standards
2/ apparently its racist.....even though its mad to believe Islam is a race and all muslims belong to the same race.
3/ because Islam detests being criticised even in a free country where you are permitted to criticise religion

double standards everywhere when it comes to religion

No, Muslims don't seem to enjoy criticism, I agree.

Although one poster seems to be disproving your theory about being open to criticism. Hilary Clinton's emails ffs.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Although one poster seems to be disproving your theory about being open to criticism. Hilary Clinton's emails ffs.

i missed the post but if its about Clinton then criticism about her is not religious based

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Complete and utter rubbish. Denial and cover up time and time again. You even sound annoyed people attacked the Catholic Church over the issue!

The total opposite. It was a VERY good thing for that church.

Look at the Pope they have now. Pretty moderate and modest person given their past selections.

He wouldn't have ever been considered for Pope prior to the Church coping an absolute public bashing for years for its previous actions.

Guess what, rather than being offended to the point of violence or threats just because "someone said something mean about us or stereotyped us" the rank and file Catholics actually started openly saying that the church needed to start changing or soften a lot of it's views to bring itself into a more contemporary world view.

Can we say the same about Islam?

It's almost as if you think Islam shouldn't be openly criticised and berated as Christianity has for a long time now.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

You really don't get it do you.

It's as if the word hypocrisy doesn't exist in your vocabulary.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
The total opposite. It was a VERY good thing for that church.

Look at the Pope they have now. Pretty moderate and modest person given their past selections.

He wouldn't have ever been considered for Pope prior to the Church coping an absolute public bashing for years for its previous actions.

Exposure of widespread institutional child abuse counts as copping an absolute public bashing?

Guess what, rather than being offended to the point of violence or threats just because "someone said something mean about us or stereotyped us" the rank and file Catholics actually started openly saying that the church needed to start changing or soften a lot of it's views to bring itself into a more contemporary world view.
by not allowing and covering up widespread child abuse? Bravo!

Look, I only made a joke. Your over reaction to it and, inevitable, turning it around to Islam, is a bit odd and doesn't really do you any favours in the 'why is it only Islam can't take criticism' argument.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Exposure of widespread institutional child abuse counts as copping an absolute public bashing?

by not allowing and covering up widespread child abuse? Bravo!

Look, I only made a joke. Your over reaction to it and, inevitable, turning it around to Islam, is a bit odd and doesn't really do you any favours in the 'why is it only Islam can't take criticism' argument.

My reaction was to point out the hypocrisy.

To point out one religion of 1 billion + who copped a lot of criticism reacted compared to another religion with 1+ billion followers who reacts very differently.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
You're confused. I'm attacking the ideology, not the people. It's a backwards ideology, there is nothing remotely modern about it. It's an ideology for the dark ages, not 2016.

In 20 nations today your wifes father would be guilty of apostasy. How backwards do you have to be to think that choosing not to follow a faith anymore is a crime. That's a cult like thought process and beliefs.

Actually my Father-in-Law remained a devoted Muslim right throughout his life. When he died the Muslim community in the UK couldn't have been more supportive of us and my mother-in-law, members of the mosque helped organise the funeral, they cooked us food and brought it around for us, the local curry takeaway actually brought around a banquet for 12 people all free of charge. As far as I am aware they are still supportive of her and contact her regularly to check that she is OK, a catholic woman from Spain, no issue there at all.

Ultimately with all these ancient religions it depends on how you interpret the ancient texts such as the Bible or the Quran. In many cases theses texts are interpreted in a certain way to suit an agenda. There are loads of things that the bible prohibits, some of these things are punishable by death.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

Again, another sweeping statement. This certainly isn't my experience of the Muslim communities that I have had direct contact with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here