Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Apple

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I can't believe your IT department allowed a day 1 update :lolol: I don't allow my non M1 machines on BigSur still. Too late now but don't update anything apply on day 1.

My test phone went on iOS 15 in about 20 minutes. It's an older XS Max. It works well but the new safari is a bit odd. I do like the bigger view you get using the full height of the phone but haven't got used to the address bar at the bottom or the way to close down tabs yet.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What is this Focus nonsense all about?

My limited understanding is that it is essentially a variety of 'do not disturb's for various situations. i.e. you can set up a 'work focus' so the only notifications you get are work related, and your personal ones are held until a set time, you can have a 'home focus' so you can prevent work related notifications and so on.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
iOS doesn't have an OS-level back button though, and never has.

I have a vague recollection of my brief time using Android and there are some OS-level controls, including a back button, but iOS doesn't have one.

The back button in Safari is bottom left.

I guess it must be poor design choice in many iOS apps then. Point still stands though, Android doesn't have that problem as the inbuilt back button works with pretty much any app

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
My limited understanding is that it is essentially a variety of 'do not disturb's for various situations. i.e. you can set up a 'work focus' so the only notifications you get are work related, and your personal ones are held until a set time, you can have a 'home focus' so you can prevent work related notifications and so on.

Many thanks.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
experiencing the fabled Apple support today. missus new iPad doesnt charge any more and wants a replacment charger. after an hour of being bounced around chats and calls, gets interegation for 40mins, then finally they want to charge to send a replacement.

anyone know a short cut to get proper service? a visit to the store isnt out of the question but a ball-ache and costs.

by contrast i had a problem with a Kindle, Amazon simply replaced the whole thing. :rolleyes:

boik

experiencing the fabled Apple support today. missus new iPad doesnt charge any more and wants a replacment charger. after an hour of being bounced around chats and calls, gets interegation for 40mins, then finally they want to charge to send a replacement.

anyone know a short cut to get proper service? a visit to the store isnt out of the question but a ball-ache and costs.

by contrast i had a problem with a Kindle, Amazon simply replaced the whole thing. :rolleyes:

If they're going to charge, then surely just get a cheap non-apple charger with next day delivery. There's no magic in their chargers.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

Are you able to prove it is the charger/cable by trying it on another device, or prove it is the charging point in the iPad?. A couple of years ago I had similar problem and it was the actual charging point in the iPad that wasn't working. Of course they tried to blame me by suggesting I'd poked something in it to cause the problem but eventually they did replace it!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If they're going to charge, then surely just get a cheap non-apple charger with next day delivery. There's no magic in their chargers.

new iPad expect the charger to be working. it was wonky the first week, getting increasingly intermittent and wants a replacement.

we know its the charger (or cable) as a iphone charger/cable combo is working, albeit slower as lower power output.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Am currently being forced to watch an Apple product announcement ‘event’. If ever an organisation has disappeared entirely up its own arse, Apple is that organisation. There was a sketch in which they were audited by Mother Nature.

They are now wanking lyrical about their phones having a screen and a notifications area. They are also excited about it being available in different colours.

Apparently it has a camera. Using pixels no less. They’re showing good photos, but they’re not going to show the shit ones. They’re basically saying the phone decides what photo you get.

Battery life was covered in 3 seconds, saying the big one has a bigger battery. So still shit then.

They sell cases too. This is apparently an innovation. Because they’re not made of leather.

They are now talking about the Pro models, which are apparently life changing because the sides are made of titanium. This is an innovation. It’s aluminium on the inside apparently. Like armadillos.

They’ve taken away the silencing switch and replaced it with an “action” button, so you can take photos of the inside of your pocket, or record a voice note of you swearing in the supermarket car park.

If I ever have to watch one of these again, the drinking cue is the word “innovation”.

Apparently the USB3 connector enables “new pathways” that “expands what’s possible.”

They’re now saying the iPhone Pro is a gaming machine, because everyone loves the direct accurate controls of a mobile phone with video games.

The Pro phone also has a camera, and it can zoom. It’s quite good apparently. If you’re a professional filmmaker or photographer, this is the one for you. Though no mention of battery life on the Pro models, so probably still shit and you should only make short films.

It’s over, I’ve never had to experience that before, and I’m astounded that anyone, anywhere would take this utter tripe seriously.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Apples innovation mostly died when Steve Jobs did imo.

The iPhone from the X to now hasn’t changed all that much and haven’t been all that inspiring.

Wife has apple everything.

And currently typing on an iPhone 12 whilst wearing an Apple Watch, so f*ck me to be honest.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I like my Apple products….but I don’t buy brand new..generally a refurb much cheaper and I don’t worry about having the latest….shrug

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I've just spent the last hour listening to my wife tell me all about the new releases. The only bits I took in were "sapphire screen" (don't know if that was the phone or watch) and £399 (because that's what her birthday is going to cost me). o_O

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The only apple I've ever owned was a French golden delicious.

It was nice, but didn't last very long.

I believe this same version has been selling for many years now and consumers have bought them in trillions ...

Market leader I tell yer!

Blinkers

Jul 8, 2020
Am currently being forced to watch an Apple product announcement ‘event’. If ever an organisation has disappeared entirely up its own arse, Apple is that organisation. There was a sketch in which they were audited by Mother Nature.

They are now wanking lyrical about their phones having a screen and a notifications area. They are also excited about it being available in different colours.

Apparently it has a camera. Using pixels no less. They’re showing good photos, but they’re not going to show the shit ones. They’re basically saying the phone decides what photo you get.

Battery life was covered in 3 seconds, saying the big one has a bigger battery. So still shit then.

They sell cases too. This is apparently an innovation. Because they’re not made of leather.

They are now talking about the Pro models, which are apparently life changing because the sides are made of titanium. This is an innovation. It’s aluminium on the inside apparently. Like armadillos.

They’ve taken away the silencing switch and replaced it with an “action” button, so you can take photos of the inside of your pocket, or record a voice note of you swearing in the supermarket car park.

If I ever have to watch one of these again, the drinking cue is the word “innovation”.

Apparently the USB3 connector enables “new pathways” that “expands what’s possible.”

They’re now saying the iPhone Pro is a gaming machine, because everyone loves the direct accurate controls of a mobile phone with video games.

The Pro phone also has a camera, and it can zoom. It’s quite good apparently. If you’re a professional filmmaker or photographer, this is the one for you. Though no mention of battery life on the Pro models, so probably still shit and you should only make short films.

It’s over, I’ve never had to experience that before, and I’m astounded that anyone, anywhere would take this utter tripe seriously.
Exactly my take on the phones

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Apples innovation mostly died when Steve Jobs did imo.

The iPhone from the X to now hasn’t changed all that much and haven’t been all that inspiring.

Wife has apple everything.

And currently typing on an iPhone 12 whilst wearing an Apple Watch, so f*ck me to be honest.

To be fair, my iPhone is on its last legs, and that was why I agreed to my (hugely over enthusiastic) partner’s request to sit and watch the thing.

While she had the good grace to pretend to be amused by my reaction to it, I like to think I won’t be invited back to the next one.

As much as I found the entire thing ludicrous, I will end up funding the buggers by buying one. It all just seemed so desperate.

I keep hoping that the light phone company will make an updated model that works with 5G and EE as a carrier, until then, I feel locked in, even though I’m not really feeling the Stockholm Syndrome love.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I keep hoping that the light phone company will make an updated model that works with 5G and EE as a carrier, until then, I feel locked in, even though I’m not really feeling the Stockholm Syndrome love.
I feel locked in also. Purely due to the ease of being able to share notes, photos and videos between phones (shared albums etc) so, so conveniently.
I’d have liked to experiment with the new flip phones just out of curiosity for a year or two - but would otherwise probably be using a OnePlus.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
To be fair, my iPhone is on its last legs, and that was why I agreed to my (hugely over enthusiastic) partner’s request to sit and watch the thing.

While she had the good grace to pretend to be amused by my reaction to it, I like to think I won’t be invited back to the next one.

As much as I found the entire thing ludicrous, I will end up funding the buggers by buying one. It all just seemed so desperate.

I'm sure you're aware, but most of the large tech companies hold very similar new product unveiling events where they spew ridiculous hyperbole about the best, fastest, lightest product they've ever, ever, ever released.

Here's Samsung's latest one if you find you have another hour or so to waste...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here