Anyone want to credit poyet for last night?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Recently there has been a lot criticism of poyet's apparent lack of plan b, strict adherence to one formation, refusal to play two wingers and reluctance to make a sub until the 75th minute. Some of it has been fair, some of it perhaps not. Does anyone at all want to credit him for trying something different by starting 352, then acknowledge it wasn't working, change the shape and make positive early substitutions to turn the game around? To finish with CMS, Barnes, Hoskins, Buckley & LuaLua all on the pitch at the same time was a bold move and a statement of intent that has been missing. I for one would rather he made those sort of changes and we lost games going for it, than let home 0-1s peter out until the last 10-15 minutes, and to see a winger come on for a centre back before half time was a surprise, but a refreshing one. Fair enough I say.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I only listened to the BBC commentary but have to say that all the substitutions made it much more exciting to listen to. Would like to think it was a more exciting game to be at because of GP's decisions.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Recently there has been a lot criticism of poyet's apparent lack of plan b, strict adherence to one formation, refusal to play two wingers and reluctance to make a sub until the 75th minute. Some of it has been fair, some of it perhaps not. Does anyone at all want to credit him for trying something different by starting 352, then acknowledge it wasn't working, change the shape and make positive early substitutions to turn the game around? To finish with CMS, Barnes, Hoskins, Buckley & LuaLua all on the pitch at the same time was a bold move and a statement of intent that has been missing. I for one would rather he made those sort of changes and we lost games going for it, than let home 0-1s peter out until the last 10-15 minutes, and to see a winger come on for a centre back before half time was a surprise, but a refreshing one. Fair enough I say.

Credit him for what,another fcuking draw,the club and players keep talking about promotion and we are supposed to credit the dictator with a draw,if mid table is the challenge then tell us, if promotion is the challenge sign some fcuking strikers

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
He had no choice the first half was bloody awful for me why did he wait till we were 1.0 down, yes he changed things after 30 minutes but should have been early.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It was actually quite an enjoyable game imo, if you can shake off the idea that we should win 'em all. Poyet did make good changes but I'm not sure I got what he was trying to achieve with the team he sent out, looked like setting up for the opposition rather than playing our own game. As said elsewhere maybe he feared their size and aggression.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Credit him for what,another fcuking draw,the club and players keep talking about promotion and we are supposed to credit the dictator with a draw,if mid table is the challenge then tell us if promotion is the challenge sign some fcuking strikers

Yeah i know its bloody awful, we were 2-0 down - we should of taken that and not fought back for a 2-2 draw :facepalm:

Thats another person added to my ignore list - slowly getting more Brighton "fans" than Palace.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
After yesterday the dictator might actualy see that playing wingers on both flanks works,we have 2 of the best in this division and Gus only ever plays one of them,FFS WHY?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
It was actually quite an enjoyable game imo, if you can shake off the idea that we should win 'em all. Poyet did make good changes but I'm not sure I got what he was trying to achieve with the team he sent out, looked like setting up for the opposition rather than playing our own game. As said elsewhere maybe he feared their size and aggression.

I think it was the lack of a fit right back, rather than trying to counter them...he was worried el-abd wouldn't get forward at RB and might get caught for pace, so Lopez/Bridge as wing backs sort of made sense, with Crofts & Hammond as the muscle against their physical midfield. Not a terrible idea on paper, but their goal came out of nowhere, neither side really looked like scoring, and straight away he sent kaz to warm up while kuszczak was still picking it out of the net. Credit where credit's due, he tried something, it didn't work, he made positive changes and it paid off.

Credit him for what,another fcuking draw,the club and players keep talking about promotion and we are supposed to credit the dictator with a draw,if mid table is the challenge then tell us, if promotion is the challenge sign some fcuking strikers

Thanks for that intellectual response. If you'd like to read my post again, it was a direct response to the criticism about poyets stubbornness. We were 2-0 down and got a point- home or away, credit should go to the manager for making changes that saved a point, just as you'd be the first in the queue to moan if we were 2-0 up and let it slip. But I don't know why I expected anything approaching sentient thought from the likes of you so I suppose it's my fault in a way.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

You've had enough chances, you're now on my ignore list you bitter, idious little wanker.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The starting point is that he chose the wrong formation and created a problem. It was avoidable - we were all scratching our heads at the line-up before kick-off.

You don't solve your striker problem by taking your most potent winger and putting him up front. This is a guy who 5 mins from time in the previous match missed a one-on-one to win the game.

That is exactly what their left-back would have wanted, AND both their centre-backs.

I'm not praising Gus, and I'm not criticising him either. I just hope he's learning 3 defensive central midfielders with KLL starting on the bench isn't going to win us many games.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location

This.

Very very brave and very clever tactical change in substituting Dunk so early for Kaz. Some people seem unwilling to recognise.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

I think Gus Poyet is being too hard on his self. Playing three at the back is valid against two rigid banks of four. The trouble arose because we kept passing to Millwall players in the first half.

Playing Buckley upfront in the centre more gives a chance for Lualua. Even when 0-2 down we were still in the game. It did appear that there was not a enough training time to practice and I thought he would leave the change until the Watford game.

Make a refreshing change from Peter Taylor II who never changed anything.

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012
Credit him for changing a starting line up against Forest that was unstoppable ?? ERrrrrhhhhhh No Bloody Chance ..... The first half against Forest was up there as the best of the season ( except our normal issues of scoring ) .

Why the hell change that ?? We played right into Millwalls hands and surrendered all the initiative to them it was school boy management ...... Hope he learns

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
This.

Very very brave and very clever tactical change in substituting Dunk so early for Kaz. Some people seem unwilling to recognise.

No it's not "very very brave". He was just trying to sort out the enormous problem HE had created by picking such a negative starting line-up.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Credit him for changing a starting line up against Forest that was unstoppable ?? ERrrrrhhhhhh No Bloody Chance ..... The first half against Forest was up there as the best of the season ( except our normal issues of scoring ) .

Why the hell change that ?? We played right into Millwalls hands and surrendered all the initiative to them it was school boy management ...... Hope he learns

This.

We got more offensive with every sub too. Stop putting out a negative/defensive line-up at home, FFS!

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
I give him credit for actually pretty much admitting he got it wrong by bringing Kaz on in the first half. Personally thought that the first team he put out was negative for a home game.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Personally I would rather we started every game with the 11 we finished it with last night. If I was Dunk I'd probably be fairly pissed off too. Won't have done his confidence much good.

El Alamein was lucky not to get a red too. That would have f***ed us right over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports