Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Anyone tried a "Yes day"? #DadsNet

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
No. I'm quite fortunate that my 2 (5 and 2, their ages not their names) are pretty good at not arguing when I say no to something. Not sure why on earth I'd chose to actively throw a grenade into the situation. My daughter is currently obsessed with wanting to give homeless people/charities money so I'm not sure a day of "sure, you're lucky to have a house and food but let's have a day where you can also have anything you want" fits into a moral lesson.

Also at the moment there's no real argument if I explain something is too expensive. Not sure why you'd open yourself up to a day of unlimited spend ...actually I do ..I expect it's so you can post it on social media

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think it would be better to say no a bit less generally than a whole day of yes

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
One useful thing I've learnt from my 17yo daughter is to have 'open' days, when I'm 'Open [my name]', not 'Closed [my name]'. On Open days I say what I really think about everything, not what keeps the peace / what other people might want to hear. It is strangely liberating because every day is Open day for her, although it sometimes causes tears and discomfort.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I’ll be sticking to my “you having a laugh” days.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is it safe to drink the paint?
Will the babies finger grow back if I cut it off, like Tom & Jerry?

Standard questions my kids used to ask me.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Never heard of the film, but this idea of a 'Yes' day is immediately into my top 10 of most stupid ideas ever.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Hmm, we currently have a 3 year old to which it is hard to say no to unless you want to suffer a Tantrum Day. But saying yes to everything would mean her not getting dressed, not going to the toilet, not going out and eating lollies all day. I think I'll stick with a healthy balance for now!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
And what is wrong with eating lollies all day?

🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
We've always let ours choose what they want to do, what they want to eat, watch on telly etc etc etc and generally always be in charge (where reasonable!) on their birthday. Doesn't equate to saying yes to everything though

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
As Harry likes his music, it would be remiss of me to leave Zoeey and Von Iva out.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I’ve done this with my 2 boys. We usually do it around their birthday but we do tell them and we set a budget for the day.

Last one we did was something like:
Pancakes for breakfast
To the park
To the beach
Bus to town
McDonald’s lunch
Daddy to walk home (mummy and kids on the bus)
Amazon shopping
Film of their choice
Pizza
Computer games
Later bedtime

Was actually a really good day. Giving them a limit and sticking to bedtime etc helped.
My boys are nearly 8 & 6 so young enough that they don’t have the huge imagination. But it’s something we’ve done for a couple of years now and will continue to do as long as they want to.
That seems like a more sensible approach. I've heard of people who let their kids do/have literally anything they want on a 'Yes' day and it's carnage. Then the adults complain about how much it costs them, how spoilt they are and how they then play up afterwards.

I mean, what did they EXPECT to happen? :wrong::wozza:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I don’t have kids, does it mean I can have a personal yes day? I’ll crack open the whisky…

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
There was an article about a similar thing a while ago:

"We call it her “in-charge day”. A day when our nine-year-old daughter Flora is in charge, and we are, effectively, hers to command. A day when all the traditional hierarchies between parent and child are reversed, when she can fulfil her fantasies, refuse to do anything she doesn’t want to and experience a taste of power, authority and absolute freedom."

My two boys are only 1 and 3 but it's definitely something I'd like to do when they're older.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
My kids went on about this for a bit after seeing the film; definitely something we'd consider, so YES.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Another example of the yanks running a good book with a shit film.
Sometimes things don’t translate into American. Yes man is one.

Back to the op question, bad idea!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here