Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Anyone on here been to the Scilly Isles?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Went to the Isles of Scilly for our summer holiday this year. Should have been Florida, but hey ho - still ‘abroad’

Would thoroughly recommend - if you like fish, beer, sandy beaches & to get away from the stresses of the 21st century

It’s right up there on my bucket list but not exactly a cheap break for the family.

Any top tips with hindsight?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It’s right up there on my bucket list but not exactly a cheap break for the family.

Yes, don't be selfish idiot and travel all the way down to the South West during a pandemic just because you 'must have a holiday'.
Sadly thousands did, but we are talking Steve Foster here.
As the sign erected on a bridge over the A30 said ' turn around and **** off'

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

As said at the top the cheapest way to get there is this bad boy:-

Scillonian-III-1068x712.jpg

You might think it's saving you a few hundred pounds - it isn't.
What it saves in money it loses in time and most importantly health.

The last thing you want to do, just before you start your holiday is cross 26 miles of the Atlantic in a shallow bottomed boat - trust me, I know.

Or to be more precise I knew until I finally passed out and was lashed into a rubber ring - aged 6.

I should have scrolled down a few images:-

2_LL_DCM_120819-ScillonianJPG.jpg
The Scillonian III pictured heading back to Penzance from St Mary's on Friday (August 9)

I would say this was us.
I can say even the crew were sea sick.
I could say it was the worst journey ever.

But that would be hyperbole - as this always happens - check the date.

Last edited:

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I suspect the locals will be waiting with baseball bats to meet any 'tourists' from the mainland.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
As said at the top the cheapest way to get there is this bad boy:-

View attachment 131946

You might think it's saving you a few hundred pounds - it isn't.
What it saves in money it loses in time and most importantly health.

The last thing you want to do, just before you start your holiday is cross 26 miles of the Atlantic in a shallow bottomed boat - trust me, I know.

Or to be more precise I knew until I finally passed out and was lashed into a rubber ring - aged 6.

I should have scrolled down a few images:-

View attachment 131947
The Scillonian III pictured heading back to Penzance from St Mary's on Friday (August 9)

I would say this was us.
I can say even the crew were sea sick.
I could say it was the worst journey ever.

But that would be hyperbole - as this always happens - check the date.

Christ on a bike that certainly puts the time I was on The Waverley in a slightly choppy Mull of Kintyre to shame.

Helicopter it is then.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Christ on a bike that certainly puts the time I was on The Waverley in a slightly choppy Mull of Kintyre to shame.

Helicopter it is then.

Helicopter from Lands End is the cheapest flying route but naturally the drive down is shitehouse and the train is expensive.
That was the way we got there throughout the rest of the 70's.

When I last rummaged around t'internet with a pipe dream of going, I think you could fly from Southampton.
A lot has happened in the last couple of years.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Went about 5 years ago. We flew out on the Skybus from Exeter to St Mary's, takes about an hour in a small 19 seat plane but avoids the sea crossing which does have a vey bad reputation - more info on the Skybus here:
www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk
We stayed on Bryher, on of the smaller islands, at the somewhat unfortunately named Hell Bay Hotel (www.hellbay.co.uk) but its a really nice hotel and its relatively easy to get round the other islands from Bryher. The beaches and scenery are beautiful - it's a great holiday and the weather seems to be slightly better and a bit more reliable than the mainland. The other islands, St Mary's, Tresco, St Martins and St Agnes can all be visited and explored, there's watersports and hiking aplenty and all in all they're a great summer holiday destination.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Yes, had a week there a few years ago.Walked the perimeter of each of the populated islands. provided the weather is Ok it's a brilliant location. Each island has a different character. Also the gig racing is excellent. You can get onto the referee's boat for an excellent view

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I visited St Mary’s a few years ago on a cruise ship stop. Hired a bike in Hugh Town which was very pleasant. Not so for the father and daughter who left the bike hire place in front of me as I passed them a few minutes later on the hill out of town toward the airport crouched down trying to fix a flat tyre. But a lovely place to visit and stroll along the main street shops.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Am I missing something - we are not supposed to travel between tiers other than for "essential" reasons, so how are you gonna get all the way to the scilly Isles?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We’ve been to the Isles of Scilly quite a few times and always camped at Troytown Farm. I proposed to Mrs Sully on the quay at St Agnes. It’s a very special place.

I’d actually say not to stay on St Mary’s as it’s the most like normal, with cars and everything. The “off” islands are all very individual and great to explore.

We just used our island’s ferry to visit the other islands, go out to support the crew of Shar in the gig racing (Aggy, Aggy, Aggy - oi, oi, oi!) and for a cricket match against Tresco. Get involved with the locals and you’ll have a great time. We even went to a gig by the local rock band, led by a Kiwi who was the chef at the restaurant and captain of the cricket team!

I even quite enjoy the boat trip on the Scillonian III. We’ve only had one truly atrocious crossing.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Am I missing something - we are not supposed to travel between tiers other than for "essential" reasons, so how are you gonna get all the way to the scilly Isles?

Just because we can’t go right now doesn’t mean we can’t think about future holidays!

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
Mrs Lately and I spent a week there in 2019; we don't usually revisit places that we've been on holiday but we liked it so much that we'd booked to go back in 2020, although the pandemic scuppered that. There's not a huge amount to do other than eat well and relax (which is part of the appeal) but these are the things that we particularly loved and planned to do again:

Scilly Spirit Gin School - Select your favourite flavours from their stock of dozens of botanicals, they'll give you some advice on the relative quantities, then make your own gin. It's fascinating to track how the flavour evolves as the ingredients infuse at different rates. They keep your recipe card on file so if you like your creation you can order it again. And their own gin is lovely stuff: based on Thai basil and lemongrass, it's inspired by and pairs well with Thai food.

Snorkelling with Seals - A properly magical, unforgettable experience. I would do this every year. I would do this every week if I could. You need to book early, though, because the places fill up months in advance.

I'd also recommend the guided walks run by the islands' resident archaeologist and her husband, a former Albion player (although well before my time). He showed us some fascinating bits of island history when we weren't just chatting about the football.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Mrs Lately and I spent a week there in 2019; we don't usually revisit places that we've been on holiday but we liked it so much that we'd booked to go back in 2020, although the pandemic scuppered that. There's not a huge amount to do other than eat well and relax (which is part of the appeal) but these are the things that we particularly loved and planned to do again:

Scilly Spirit Gin School - Select your favourite flavours from their stock of dozens of botanicals, they'll give you some advice on the relative quantities, then make your own gin. It's fascinating to track how the flavour evolves as the ingredients infuse at different rates. They keep your recipe card on file so if you like your creation you can order it again. And their own gin is lovely stuff: based on Thai basil and lemongrass, it's inspired by and pairs well with Thai food.

Snorkelling with Seals - A properly magical, unforgettable experience. I would do this every year. I would do this every week if I could. You need to book early, though, because the places fill up months in advance.

I'd also recommend the guided walks run by the islands' resident archaeologist and her husband, a former Albion player (although well before my time). He showed us some fascinating bits of island history when we weren't just chatting about the football.

Name of the ex Albion player?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Haha. That reminded me of the “bat walk” we went on with the kids once. The local who had been brought in to make sure we didn’t get lost turned out to be the crab fisherman we’d already befriended. After about an hour, I asked him if he’d ever seen a bat on the island (he was 70 and lived there all his life). He said no, so we left the group and headed to the Turks Head!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Nobody is suggesting we have a NSC outing :)

Definitely not cheap - but truly stunning.

The beaches are to die for - some amazing sandy bays;
We went in July this year & the weather was favourable.
Recommend taking a boat to a different island each day & to explore. Each island is different and has its own distinct personality. With only 2000 people living on all the islands & 1500 on St Mary’s you won’t hit the crowds!
Tresco was lovely - The Abbey Gardens & a delight to see the Red squirrels there.
We stayed at Star Castle Hotel in St Mary’s. It was our 30th wedding anniversary - the food was incredible!

In Hugh Town - the only ‘town’ on the islands - there is one Co-op. Well stocked but not much bigger than a large corner shop. And that is the biggest shop on all the islands!

One day I ran the coastal path around St Mary’s (the biggest island). Just got to 10 miles.
The islands are small.
We caught the plane from Exeter. A max of 12 people & a dog on each plane.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here