Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone get the feeling gus was stitched up?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

And you are rolling your eyes because?...

You really seem to have very little appreciation of the relative merits of our fantastic chairman and the big-mouthed egotist Gus.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I see. So there has no speculation at all involved in the NSC transformation within a short time of Poyet the greatest manager in our history to Poyet the all-round baby eater ;)

I think when people present very partial and heavily edited version of events as Bloom did, they are selecting the bits that make them look good - and that's a PR stunt in my book. Bloom admitted himself that evening that a lot went on after the Palace game that he wasn't telling. My "speculation" is that a lot went on beforehand too.

Only when we get a lot of accounts of what happened in those months can we begin to start judging whether Poyet was treated fairly or not. For people to now say Bloom behaved in the correct fashion involves as much "speculation" as anyone on here defending Poyet.

You must admit that poyet was touting himself all over the place, not many employers put up with that kind of shit. That's even before we know all the ins and outs.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You must admit that poyet was touting himself all over the place, not many employers put up with that kind of shit. That's even before we know all the ins and outs.

All football employers of successful managers and players have to put up with that shit, its the nature of the game. Anyway, the touting is done by winning games, what is said in interviews is irrelevant

You can waffle on as much as you like....you do have 'history' of this on this forum.

You have stated that our Chairman pulled a PR stunt at the Fans forum.

You are either very brave or very stupid. Given your past history on this forum and the fact you were hounded off this board by many posters absolutely fed up with your outlandish views.......I know which category I put you in.

I'm neither brave nor stupid, just very curious about what happened. If you want to dig your head in the sand, feel free but try not to shout down others, it's unpleasant

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I see. So there has no speculation at all involved in the NSC transformation within a short time of Poyet the greatest manager in our history to Poyet the all-round baby eater ;)

I think when people present very partial and heavily edited version of events as Bloom did, they are selecting the bits that make them look good - and that's a PR stunt in my book. Bloom admitted himself that evening that a lot went on after the Palace game that he wasn't telling. My "speculation" is that a lot went on beforehand too.

Only when we get a lot of accounts of what happened in those months can we begin to start judging whether Poyet was treated fairly or not. For people to now say Bloom behaved in the correct fashion involves as much "speculation" as anyone on here defending Poyet.

I've missed your consistent BS. The bottom-line is that you are speculating wildly by claiming that what Tony said was a PR stunt. Put up or SHUT UP. Please.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Bloom doesn't need to give us the full story though and I'm not sure that we need a detailed postmortem of what went on. As you say we'll never know and a new season is on us tomorrow. I heard enough from Gus in post match interviews to believe he could be difficult and plain bloody minded. His time was up for whatever reason and TB is the man who funds everything and I'll take his side every time against a manager who admitted he was using us as a stepping stone.

From tomorrow I really don't care about Gus :shrug:

Brilliant post.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
indeed, an open mind is healthy, but people generally want closure on issues and thus spin it in their heads to achieve an acceptable conclusion. and that's what you're arguing against here. They'll just chuck abuse and call you stupid for not blindly accepting just one side of the story.

But... he's not being open minded at all! Far from it. Rather, LI is claiming that Tony's fans forum comment re Gus was a PR stunt. Laughable.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
I've missed your consistent BS. The bottom-line is that you are speculating wildly by claiming that what Tony said was a PR stunt. Put up or SHUT UP. Please.

A bit naive to suggest that anything said at the fans forum by TB was NOT PR, surely?

and I place no blame on TB for that, what should we expect? We just don't know what went on, but we do have our favourites and more inclined to believe what they say than the other. Even if our favourite is right, even if they are wrong, a load more stuff went on behind the scenes than has been reported, of that I'm sure.

Yep Poyet was far from perfect, and he never was from the moment he arrived here, it's the angel-devil transformation thing that is just hard to take

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm neither brave nor stupid, just very curious about what happened. If you want to dig your head in the sand, feel free but try not to shout down others, it's unpleasant

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
But... he's not being open minded at all! Far from it. Rather, LI is claiming that Tony's fans forum comment re Gus was a PR stunt. Laughable.

calling it a PR 'stunt' is taking it a bit far in my book, but his follow-up post about finding it hard to accept the transformation from hero to villain based solely on heresay and selective release of information was pretty spot on.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
calling it a PR 'stunt' is taking it a bit far in my book, but his follow-up post about finding it hard to accept the transformation from hero to villain based solely on heresay and selective release of information was pretty spot on.

I find it hard to believe that a phone call stating that Gus wanted out 4 days before our biggest match of the season, at the time, and that it wasn't up for discussion isn't a good enough reason to think " I want shot of this guy but it'll be on my terms"

If you choose to believe that phone call comment was an outright lie by Bloom, that's up to you. From my perspective Bloom seems to be a tough businessman who shuns publicity so it would be totally out of character for him to pull that stunt IMO. However I'm of the opinion that Gus was very capable of making that phone call. Without knowing the ins an outs I'll take Bloom's comments at face value.

I find it hard to believe that a phone call stating that Gus wanted out 4 days before our biggest match of the season, at the time, and that it wasn't up for discussion isn't a good enough reason to think " I want shot of this guy but it'll be on my terms"

If you choose to believe that phone call comment was an outright lie by Bloom, that's up to you. From my perspective Bloom seems to be a tough businessman who shuns publicity so it would be totally out of character for him to pull that stunt IMO. However I'm of the opinion that Gus was very capable of making that phone call. Without knowing the ins an outs I'll take Bloom's comments at face value.

I don't think anyone is suggesting Bloom was lying (except people trying to caricature other's opinons) - merely that what we were given was a very partial version of the truth. Aren't you interested in finding out what drove Gus to make that call? I am! And I think we need a better explanation for that than latin temperament/raving egomaniac etc etc

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
All football employers of successful managers and players have to put up with that shit, its the nature of the game. Anyway, the touting is done by winning games, what is said in interviews is irrelevant

I don't recall many other managers telling the chairman they need to cough up or they will be off. Don't get me wrong I think Gus knows his stuff and is an intelligent man, but his mouth cost him, an example was the Suarez incident, had nothing to do with him but got involved. I am sure he will one day manager a top flight team, but no doubt he has learnt a bit here.

It is blooms cash that got Gus the players. So maybe a little more respect was due, as others have stated if Gus held the purse strings it would be a bit different. Time to move on.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I don't think anyone is suggesting Bloom was lying (except people trying to caricature other's opinons) - merely that what we were given was a very partial version of the truth. Aren't you interested in finding out what drove Gus to make that call? I am! And I think we need a better explanation for that than latin temperament/raving egomaniac etc etc

I don't know, but a pound to a pinch of shit.. It would be due to budget demands or a better offer imo.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

I wonder if there was any tapping.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
These things happen. I was pissed off when Pat Saward left. Gus did a brilliant job for us, earning probably more than many of us will earn in a lifetime, and will go on to earn more, so whilst sad about the end, im not terribly concerned for him. He did us proud, sadly it didnt end nicely, but thats passed. Our new manager is Oscar Garcia. Im behind him and the club. Good luck Gus, although I know you wont need it, and will get an enviable
job elsewhere, but seriously thanks for what you have done.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Its worth considering that until Gus was sacked Bloom did not give any details why the manager had been suspended,we now only know one side of the story.
Its quite possible that Gus was advised there would be tight financial constraints in the coming season and realised that it would mean instant relegation if we were promoted so he could not be blamed for getting out before his cv was damaged.
Its interesting to note the many who regularly indicated that Gus could do no wrong suddenly dropped him like a hot brick.

meanmachine25

Jan 24, 2009

I don't time to move on.....Oscar Garcia's blue and white army ! ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here