Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone ever been burgled/mugged/conned?

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
We were burgled over Xmas . We had a great Xmas away and arrived home to find some jewellery missing , wardrobes open but not too much of a mess. They did break 4 roman blinds which is annoying . Initially i thought I would not contact the police but I did one policeman arrived at 8.30 next morning and then forensics spent 3 hours there in the afternoon. Impressive . Watch this space for updates.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We were burgled over Xmas . We had a great Xmas away and arrived home to find some jewellery missing , wardrobes open but not too much of a mess. They did break 4 roman blinds which is annoying . Initially i thought I would not contact the police but I did one policeman arrived at 8.30 next morning and then forensics spent 3 hours there in the afternoon. Impressive . Watch this space for updates.
Hope they catch and punish the culprits and you get your belongings back. Impressive by the police - not the type of police action the popular press want us to read

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Picked up a bit of street smarts when travelling abroad in the Navy. Don’t wear an expensive watch ashore, Always carry your wallet either on a side trouser pocket, or , even better down the front of your trousers. Before I had credit cards etc, I would only ever carry the equivalent of about £20 in local currency in my wallet, the rest I’d stick in my sock, and replenish my wallet quietly when needed, it didn’t stop you getting mugged, but, it cut down the losses if you were.

Saying that, I was mugged late at night on Pompey station.
A drunken Scotsman threatened me with a broken bottle, and told me to give him my wallet.
At the time, I was still boxing, so I said no. He didn’t really know what to do then. I ended up giving him 2p to phone his Mum, he missed her.

Got scammed by a taxi driver in Naples who wanted about £100 for a £10 fare. Had a big argument with him, the armed Yank gate guards on the big NATO Base came over to us, drew his gun, and told the driver to f*** off. He went.

Attempted break in at my cafe a few years ago. Matey tried to break the back window, and cut himself. Blood everywhere in the morning, the scene of crime fellas took samples and about 6 months later, they caught the scrote using DNA, and I got £250 in compensation for a replacement window that cost me £160.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Around 12 years ago, I got off the train at Brighton station, was around 12:30am. Train to Hove was cancelled so I decided to walk. I was quite pissed.
Walked up Guildford Road and was heading towards Seven Dials - some bloke crossed the road and walked towards me, he was drinking a bottle of beer,he first asked me for a cigarette, I said I just finished my last one, he then wanted to use my phone, I said I battery was dead, he then got aggressive and struck me on the head, I then lost it and kicked him right across his knee as hard as I could he fell to the floor I then stamped on his knee with all my weight, he was down, screaming and I legged it.whilst running I thought I was sweating a lot so wiped my head and then realised he must have struck me with the bottle and I was bleeding badly
I still have no idea who the bloke was or if he could ever walk again- to be honest I don’t care.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I witnessed a robbery at White Hart Lane last year…

About 5 years ago I got conned by Gold Car hire on our last day in Rhodes. I refused to take out their excess car insurance at the beginning of the holiday and they claimed about £300 for a scratch on the underside of the front bumper when I returned the car. My car execess insurance paid out without a quibble but it left a really sour taste after an enjoyable holiday and I would never go back to Rhodes again now.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Had a car nicked and another broken into. That's about it

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Around 12 years ago, I got off the train at Brighton station, was around 12:30am. Train to Hove was cancelled so I decided to walk. I was quite pissed.
Walked up Guildford Road and was heading towards Seven Dials - some bloke crossed the road and walked towards me, he was drinking a bottle of beer,he first asked me for a cigarette, I said I just finished my last one, he then wanted to use my phone, I said I battery was dead, he then got aggressive and struck me on the head, I then lost it and kicked him right across his knee as hard as I could he fell to the floor I then stamped on his knee with all my weight, he was down, screaming and I legged it.whilst running I thought I was sweating a lot so wiped my head and then realised he must have struck me with the bottle and I was bleeding badly
I still have no idea who the bloke was or if he could ever walk again- to be honest I don’t care.
Good on you.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Burgled in Camden flat, never mugged, few car radios nicked in Manchester thats about it.
lived in a student house in Manchester, we used to play music so loud the old boy next door wore ear plugs and watched tv with subtitles on, yes he got burgled while he was sat in the front room watching Corrie, feel kinda guilty about that.
We also went to Holland for a festival and we’re gone for three days last one out didn’t shut the door properly, student house, no food, no booze, psychobilly records, shit wooden box stack record players, nowt was taken.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not conned, burgled or mugged, yet, but I do feel for Selhurst STH’ers.

Naively, I did almost fall for the TV Licence email scam …. too rushed working through a stack of emails, I took it as real and was a click away from handing over bank details.

The worst thing was losing a brand new kids bike to a thief. It needed a new tyre so I left it in the car locked overnight ready to take to Halfords, neighbour’s CCTV showed a t@seer taking it in the early hours.

In my post-school years I’ve been attacked three times. No damage done (to me ;)), no psychological effects and the last bloke got several criminal convictions for trying …. thank you wonderful Sussex Police.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Got burgled back in 2005-ish, lived in Buckingham Road up by Brighton station, according to witnesses I'd gone to work about 10 minutes before it happened. Annoyingly I felt rough that day and almost called in sick, I'd have tied the prick to a chair and beaten them all day if I had been there.

Got mugged at Aldrington station when I was 14 by two lads around 17/18, thick as two short planks, talked them out of taking my jewellery as it would raise suspicion if people saw me without it, they threw my keys on the floor and made me pick them up, that's when I got a size 10 to the face and they legged it with about £3 in change. Absolute dickheads.

Got jumped by 7 black blokes and a white girl in Worthing when I was 15 because they wanted my bike. The smallest one chinned me and then hid behind the others. Not much I could do about that, but the old bill did catch them and I got my bike back which is a rarity, purely because I went to school with the girls brother and they had gone back to hers.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
When I lived in Leamington I realised my car had been broken into when leaving for work in the morning. Quarterlight in my Ford orion GTI smashed, but nothing apparent taken.

Drove to work, at some time I must have pulled back on the steering wheel and it came off in my hands. The weirdos stole the nut holding the steering wheel on! Still scratch my head over that one.

Only other example is pissed/f***ed up folk at Glastonbury, big diversion and confusion. Wallet missing after the episode, much annoyance but subsequently realised I'd left the wallet in the tent.....

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've had a car nicked. The bloke who did it was caught by DNA they found on a cigarette stub. That cost him two years.

The police told me that most of the car theft in town was done by about six people.

The other incident was in Preston when I was followed after a game by three blokes who surrounded me and demanded my wallet. No way do I part with my wallet. I simply said 'no' and walked off. I think they were in shock and slinked away.

papachris

Burglers broke into our Littlehampton home during the night while we were upstairs sleeping.
I got up in the morning went downstairs to see the backdoor was wide open and my Mrs handbag in the garden. Looked out the front window and my car was missing off the drive. Didn't take an awful lot from the house. Laptop biggest value item but obviously the car was valuable.
Police came within a couple of hours and also forensics. There was some cctv evidence from a McDonald's where they used my partner's bankcard early hours of the morning but nobody was caught.
Car insurance paid out after a period of waiting to see if it was recovered. Then about 2 months later I received parking fines in the post on a daily basis from Kensington. I contacted Kensington Council to find out exactly where the car was. I no longer had a spare key of paperwork (returned to insurance company). But I informed the insurance company and both sussex and met police with info but nobody was interested!
I would say the worst thing is the thought of strangers being in your home whilst you are sleeping. I never got over it and never slept well in that home again.
Eventually sold our home and in fact moved abroad. A truly horrible experience and my sympathy to anyone else who has gone through this

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Was successfully mugged once ... They got the contents of my wallet ... £20.

Was very unsuccessfully attempted mugged once ... They lost some teeth and quite a lot of blood .... Quite frankly I'd rather have given them £20 as I fractured some bones in my hand.

Burgled 4 times.

Twice in Leeds.

First time the police came around to do their thing and ask what has been taken. I told them that they had knicked our TV, microwave oven, some hi fi stuff, loads of records, a couple of guitars and guitar amps. The police asked why we had things that people would want to nick.

Second time they stole food.

Once in Bedford
In a 4 person house share we were told to keep our bicycles indoors as bike theft was rife. Came back from the pub to find the back door smashed in and no bicycles.

Brunswick Square, Hove. A decorating company kept leaving the front door open on the properties that they were doing up. .... Pretty much everyone got burgled.
One of my neighbours saw one of the decorators descending the stairwell carrying a laptop and some fishing rods who said they're found them in the street.

I lost a laptop and some fishing rods.

Didn't go to court.

They got paid.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Picked up a bit of street smarts when travelling abroad in the Navy. Don’t wear an expensive watch ashore, Always carry your wallet either on a side trouser pocket, or , even better down the front of your trousers. Before I had credit cards etc, I would only ever carry the equivalent of about £20 in local currency in my wallet, the rest I’d stick in my sock, and replenish my wallet quietly when needed, it didn’t stop you getting mugged, but, it cut down the losses if you were.

Saying that, I was mugged late at night on Pompey station.
A drunken Scotsman threatened me with a broken bottle, and told me to give him my wallet.
At the time, I was still boxing, so I said no. He didn’t really know what to do then. I ended up giving him 2p to phone his Mum, he missed her.

Got scammed by a taxi driver in Naples who wanted about £100 for a £10 fare. Had a big argument with him, the armed Yank gate guards on the big NATO Base came over to us, drew his gun, and told the driver to f*** off. He went.

Attempted break in at my cafe a few years ago. Matey tried to break the back window, and cut himself. Blood everywhere in the morning, the scene of crime fellas took samples and about 6 months later, they caught the scrote using DNA, and I got £250 in compensation for a replacement window that cost me £160.
I guess those armed yanks do come in handy once in a while…happy it worked out for you.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
My then 94 year old grandma was the victim of a con. She was contacted by someone claiming to be the police.

She was informed that they were carrying out an undercover operation due to counterfeit money at her local bank.

She was asked to withdraw 2k in cash from her bank and that an undercover police officer would arrive to collect it for examination.

The person came to her house, had a cup of tea and left with her 2k.

Cun#s.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My then 94 year old grandma was the victim of a con. She was contacted by someone claiming to be the police.

She was informed that they were carrying out an undercover operation due to counterfeit money at her local bank.

She was asked to withdraw 2k in cash from her bank and that an undercover police officer would arrive to collect it for examination.

The person came to her house, had a cup of tea and left with her 2k.

Cun#s.
Crikey. You have to be a very particular type of **** to con a 94 year old out of money like that.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I've just got back from Rome and a taxi driver conned me and my girlfriend out of 60 Euros. It's not too much, but it was bloody annoying. Anyone got any related horror stories?
My first thought was Rome to Brighton for €60 was a bargain what are you moaning for 😁

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here