Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else now ridiculously excited about next season?

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
My daughter said she should photograph me on the day the fixtures came out (overly excited with no actual concrete reason for being so and singing We'll win the League, We'll win the Cup, We're BrightaNove Owbyun, We're going up...) and take another photo next May when reality has taken its toll over the season. After the signings I'm still happy with just a hint of apprehension right at the back of my mind that they have recently suffered relegation and so will a) not want it again and play out of their skins to avoid it or b) be personally unconcerned about relegation since they've been snapped up once and another club may snap them up again...........Hoping for case a) obviously......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
With the addition of our 2 Full backs and hopefully a quicker centre half I do think the intention is we will be able to defend 10-15 yards higher up the pitch.
This will make all the difference to our attacking play, in terms of the areas where we win the ball back and in getting our midfield and wide men so much nearer the front man than we have managed in years.
I for one would be tempted to try Kayal in that attacking midfield role, he has the quality to score goals and pick a clever pass more than anymore in our central area.
Another pacey wide man who can go past a player and deliver a cross is a must, but not easy to find.
Either way I am hopeful we will be much improved on last season.

Good post. With two full backs who wanted to attack, two slow centre backs and the saintly but not exactly lightning fast Calde in the midfield we defended deep and transisitioned too slowly, both ways. A pacy CB is an absolute must so that Kayal can use his creativity.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Unless they are willing to sell him? I have my very optimistic hat on today

They'll want a minimum of £4 mill probably. But I don't think selling him at the moment is in their thoughts.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm ridiculously excited before the start of EVERY new season. Sadly it usually only takes half a dozen or so games for that excitement to wane.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
They'll want a minimum of £4 mill probably. But I don't think selling him at the moment is in their thoughts.

J Teixeira has a broken leg and Liverpool are one over the 25 senior (even if they sell Sterling who is u21) players. He might not make their squad?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I have convinced myself that it simply cannot be as bad as last season and the initial transfer activity seems to suggest the club are determined to get it right this summer. We still need to add quality in wide areas and another attacking option.

I am not even thinking about our playoff chances for now it would just be good to see some more ambition and entertainment in our performances and see where we push on from there

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I have convinced myself that it simply cannot be as bad as last season and the initial transfer activity seems to suggest the club are determined to get it right this summer. We still need to add quality in wide areas and another attacking option.

I am not even thinking about our playoff chances for now it would just be good to see some more ambition and entertainment in our performances and see where we push on from there

I agree with you . Would be amazing to think we could make the play offs but after last season I am more than happy with mid table with a Half decent home record so we see some wins and are sent home happy for a change. We may even enjoy it more as we won't be taking it for granted.

If we make mid table that is, lot to sign and tough league.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
6ec9193c0a972e0f0e73f47e7eb344a610fd3c7d20f285279ee6295cfb4f4b28.jpg

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
With the addition of our 2 Full backs and hopefully a quicker centre half I do think the intention is we will be able to defend 10-15 yards higher up the pitch.
This will make all the difference to our attacking play, in terms of the areas where we win the ball back and in getting our midfield and wide men so much nearer the front man than we have managed in years.
I for one would be tempted to try Kayal in that attacking midfield role, he has the quality to score goals and pick a clever pass more than anymore in our central area.
Another pacey wide man who can go past a player and deliver a cross is a must, but not easy to find.
Either way I am hopeful we will be much improved on last season.

Good post. I think you may be right. Although we are not the quickest in central defence both of them read the game pretty well and we do have one of the best screens in the division in whichever combo of Kayal, Stevens and Ince that we choose. If we can play a higher line it will give the attacking midfield players a much better chance of getting in behind defences and hopefully when the ball gets into the box more than one Albion player in there should improve our goals to chances ratio. A better central striker than those we had last season will obviously help too...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Hopeful that it might be Tex himself.

Hope not. We need more than 4-6 good games.

In terms of the OP getting there, but need a winger, CB, forward and possibly a midfielder.

Have a feeling Elliott Bennett may be back and Halford..

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
He broke his leg a couple of months ago, is he expected to be playing again soon?

Broken legs are usually fairly straightforward recoveries, unlike knees. KLL broke his leg in November and was back playing for Newcastle in the PL for their last couple of games of the same season. It wouldn't surprise me if Tex was available from mid Sept onwards.

It'll be interesting to see what happens, as it's the last year of his current contract at Liverpool. The fact that he won't be back at full fitness until Sept/Oct means that he won't have the chance to prove himself pre-season and is very unlikely to make Liverpool's 25 man squad. Either a contract extension and a loan, or letting him move on would be a likely scenario.

Seagull97

Jan 13, 2014
Please not elliot Bennett, he didn't offer much during his time on loan and I want to remember him for the player he was

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
I'm like an 8 year old on Christmas Eve now and I know it will all end in tears but doesn't stop me getting all of a quiver. I never learn. Anyone else?

No, remember similar comments being made this time last year after the likes of Baldock was signed and quite frankly I'm still trying to put last season out of my mind. We're nowhere near a top 10 side yet, unfortunately!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Please not elliot Bennett, he didn't offer much during his time on loan and I want to remember him for the player he was

I would not base an opinion on that short term stint, he had just returned himself from a pretty long injury himself.

A decent pre season and he will be much improved, still a good age, works his socks off, versatile and has a goal in him, I would take him back if the deal was right.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I would not base an opinion on that short term stint, he had just returned himself from a pretty long injury himself.

A decent pre season and he will be much improved, still a good age, works his socks off, versatile and has a goal in him, I would take him back if the deal was right.

Agree and as far as EB is concerned EXACTLY the type of player CH likes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here