Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else enjoying watching Labour go into meltdown?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The facts are that Tory support is still practically non-existant in Scotland, Wales, the North-East and the inner cities. It wasn't always this way.

In previous terms the Tories had much more 'nationwide' appeal. This time, if they do get in, it will be on the back of Middle England's backlash to Iraq and the increasing financial incompetence of this government.

The Tories are having an easy ride at the moment, they just wait for the next Labour gaffe to be committed. I feel that they WILL get in next time but not by as much as some people think.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Is enjoy really the word? As people of a certain age remeber how bad it was with the other lot in power, will it be the same again under Cameron?

Harty, where the f*ck were you in '79? People forgot what a dogs dinner this country was then when presented with the incompetence of the Tories in the 90s. Why should it be different with Labour in 2010?

EVERY LABOUR GOVERNMENT IN HISTORY HAS ENDED IN ECONOMIC CRISIS. THIS ONE WILL BE NO DIFFERENT.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I find it fascinating that Labour get the plaudits for the ascendency in the economy, but the Tories get the entire blame for recession.

Exactly. The seeds of the stability enjoyed by Gordon Brown when he was Chancellor were sown by the economic policies of Thatcher.

A similar comparison can be made between the introduction of Keynesianism in the 1930s and the boom of the consumer age in the 1950s.

Radical changes of economic policy such as introduced by Thatcher take about 20 years to take full effect.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I totally disagree. The worst recession in the last 25 years was caused by boom and bust overseen by Thatcher and Lawson in the late 80s. They'd really lost the plot by then, and it is a testament to Ken Clarke that he helped steady the ship under Major.

Brown is clearly not fit for purpose as PM but he wasn't the worst Chancellor. However, the 10p tax rate abolition was his doing, and will be his undoing.

The Tories are a far more moderate party than that of Major, and certainly far more moderate than under Thatcher, but then the world has changed.

However, I still see big problems ahead for the Tories. I've mentioned lack of support in large geographical areas of the country and they still haven't sorted themselves out over Europe.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Exactly. The seeds of the stability enjoyed by Gordon Brown when he was Chancellor were sown by the economic policies of Thatcher.

A similar comparison can be made between the introduction of Keynesianism in the 1930s and the boom of the consumer age in the 1950s.

Radical changes of economic policy such as introduced by Thatcher take about 20 years to take full effect.

There's a word for this that nearly rhymes with rowlocks.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Labour have had their ERM crisis. That was the loss of all the personal data which finally destroyed trust and confidence in the gov, everything else has compounded their malaise.

I perdict that the scruffy old Eatonian will outlast the oily old Eatonian and the sun will vanish from the sky in about 5 hours.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Labour has run a pro-cyclical Fiscal policy and the UK now faces Staglation, only a global growth spurt can solve that or MASSIVE tax and spending cuts.

In laymens terms this govs a dead duck.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Is enjoy really the word? As people of a certain age remeber how bad it was with the other lot in power, will it be the same again under Cameron?

somebody talking sense at last I remember the last time to Tories were in power massive unemployment,massive interest rates, repossessions,strikes,and one womans hatred of the working class,not to mention taking this country into war to protect her husbands mining interests in the South Atlantic.

the worrying thing about this is Shameron did say he would never base his politics on personal attacks(one of the first things he said when becoming Tory leader)so this established him straight away as a liar .......good start

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I totally disagree. The worst recession in the last 25 years was caused by boom and bust overseen by Thatcher and Lawson in the late 80s. They'd really lost the plot by then, and it is a testament to Ken Clarke that he helped steady the ship under Major.

Brown is clearly not fit for purpose as PM but he wasn't the worst Chancellor. However, the 10p tax rate abolition was his doing, and will be his undoing.

Brown will be seen as the worst chancellor in history. Over the last 10 years his policies have massively increased public and prvate debt causing the biggest boom ever seen. This will now be followed by the biggest bust since the 1930's. While preaching about "the end of boom and bust" he has engineered a boom way bigger than any other western economy, and we will now have to suffer the deepest pain as a result.

Last edited:

Labour have had their ERM crisis. That was the loss of all the personal data which finally destroyed trust and confidence in the gov, everything else has compounded their malaise.

I perdict that the scruffy old Eatonian will outlast the oily old Eatonian and the sun will vanish from the sky in about 5 hours.

Do you think the Tories would have done anything different than Labour that caused the loss of the data you talk about?

Dandyman

In London village.
[

Brown will be seen as the worst chancellor in history. Over the last 10 years his policies have massively increased public and prvate debt causing the biggest boom ever seen. This will now be followed by the biggest bust since the 1930's. While preaching about "the end of boom and bust" he has engineered a boom way bigger than any other western economy, and we will now have to suffer the deepest pain as a result.

Funnily enough I thought massive private debt started with the abolition of proper credit controls in the 1980's and the mass sell-off of social housing in the same decade.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Funnily enough I thought massive private debt started with the abolition of proper credit controls in the 1980's and the mass sell-off of social housing in the same decade.

Its only since around 1994 that personal debt has spiralled out of control. Brown's mistake was to stand by and do nothing while the borrowing frenzy continued and to believe it was sustainable, whilst taking credit for the apparent wealth this created.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Do you think the Tories would have done anything different than Labour that caused the loss of the data you talk about?

Is the correct answer. This is an irrelevant thread started by a pointless poster. WHho bloody cares ? The vast majority of politicians are self seeking wankers who will say anything to grab a vote even though they have no intention of backing it up. New Labour and the Tories are the same.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

Possibly, the controll freakery and obsession with data is a labour characteristic. ID cards etc. also the way departments are politicly managed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here