Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

any one recomend to fix a pc

gaz99

Feb 27, 2009
can any one recomend some 1 who can fix my pc prob needs striping it back and reloading back on

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My home PC is on its last legs. The hard disc is pretty full, and it's started freezing and ree-booting regularly (and frequently).

I've done a cleanup using CCleaner, and a disk defrag, which as freed up about 15% of disk space.

I've also archived about 180Gb of data (photos, videos, docs etc) to an external HD.

However, it's still not working, and only stays working for any period in Safe Mode with Networking.

I have been advised that the best course of action would be a fresh install of Windows (currently running Vista) and start from scratch.

I don't have the windows disks, so will probably need to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8, which can be purchased for about £60 online, as my son is a student.

I just need the time to do it.

gaz99

Feb 27, 2009
its very slow needs new anti virus cant seem to get any sound also prob needs new software thanks

LE19

I've got AVG Free, which runs frequently - although it's not been run since the problem, as it doesn't run corrently in Safe Mode (well, it does, but in a command line form).

You're probably right about installing a new version of Windows, but you'll be stuck if the problem is hardware.

If I were you, I'd download a copy of Home | Ubuntu onto a DVD or USB stick, and try booting from that - if it runs OK for a while, you're probably okay. You don't need to install anything on your hard disk to test it, though it will be slow that way.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You're probably right about installing a new version of Windows, but you'll be stuck if the problem is hardware.

If I were you, I'd download a copy of Home | Ubuntu onto a DVD or USB stick, and try booting from that - if it runs OK for a while, you're probably okay. You don't need to install anything on your hard disk to test it, though it will be slow that way.

So, I'd use Ubuntu purely to try out another operating system to ensure the problem isn't hardware?

I recall I was getting errors relating to the display drivers - but I fixed that by installing the latest drivers from the NVIDIA website.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yeah, you can do it before messing with Windows, although if safe mode runs okay it may be more trouble than it's worth!

Safe mode does work... with the inherent drawbacks.

Outside of safe mode, it boots up, and seems to be working ok - however, at some point soon after (anything from a minute to about 5) the screen freezes and the only option is to perform a hard re-boot... I then delve into Safe Mode from there.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I think so... Windows 8 or 7?

And is there anywhere cheaper than the student offers out there?
Windows 7 for me, definitely my favourite flavour of Windows so far, although I'll admit I haven't spent a whole lot of time with Windows 8. Cost me about £60 for upgrade (not new licence disks) a couple of years back. I don't know whether Microsoft still run the thingon their website where you can check your current license number to see if you need full or upgrade (or whether that even still matters).

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
There should be a windows product key on a sticker somewhere on your laptop - download or borrow the installation discs and use that key when prompted.
Seeing a it looks like you need to nuke the entire system I would recommend having a go at installing Linux (mint or Ubuntu probably) and seeing how you get on. If you hate it you can still put windows back on but I think you'll find out will breathe fresh life into your system.
Oh and clean out the fan and any vents, overheating causes no end of cockery.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here