Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

any one recomend to fix a pc

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There should be a windows product key on a sticker somewhere on your laptop - download or borrow the installation discs and use that key when prompted.
Seeing a it looks like you need to nuke the entire system I would recommend having a go at installing Linux (mint or Ubuntu probably) and seeing how you get on. If you hate it you can still put windows back on but I think you'll find out will breathe fresh life into your system.
Oh and clean out the fan and any vents, overheating causes no end of cockery.

Mines a desktop - but i guess it still applies.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The damned PC is now doing a startup repair as it failed to even boot up this time. I want to do a check of the temperatures of the hardware, a colleague recommended a free piece of software, but I've forgotten the name. Any suggestions of ones worth a go?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Whichever you can get cheapest! I'm happy with 7, wife is happy with 8...

[Edit] There WAS a £25 download offer for 8, but that's finished.

After Eight?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If I've got the Vista product code (on side of tower) can I do a upgrade of the OS from the web? I don't seem to have the discs.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Switch it off and back on again?!?!

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
If its shutting down regularly, have you tried cleaning the cpu fan? a lot of times these get blocked up with dust and other particles, which causes the pc to over-heat and close down. I always clean the inside of my tower every month. Graphics cards also could cause shut downs if over-heating. so again if it has a fan, is it blocked with dust?

A fresh install of windows may resolve some issues, but if you have hardware issues nothing other than replacing them will solve this problem. Never used this place, but drive past it every day, doctor tech on old shoreham road, parade of shops just off corner of Sackville road/old shoreham road.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If its shutting down regularly, have you tried cleaning the cpu fan? a lot of times these get blocked up with dust and other particles, which causes the pc to over-heat and close down. I always clean the inside of my tower every month. Graphics cards also could cause shut downs if over-heating. so again if it has a fan, is it blocked with dust?

A fresh install of windows may resolve some issues, but if you have hardware issues nothing other than replacing them will solve this problem. Never used this place, but drive past it every day, doctor tech on old shoreham road, parade of shops just off corner of Sackville road/old shoreham road.

Thanks - I've looked at that as well. It crashed last night, requiring a Startup Repair. It took a couple of hours. Once re-started the NVIDIA display drivers weren't working. I disabled them, restarted, and re-enabled. It now seems to work - no error messges now :)

AVG ran over-night - no viruses

C-Cleaner run this morning. Cleared a lot of junk.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Me too, I run Ubuntu on a netbook and a laptop, but run Windows on a desktop for the apps I haven't been able to replace.

Yes come onOP. It makes sense.

My only contract with windows now is through VirtualBox - has 2 crappy programs I seldom use on it. Did the dual boot thing for a while, but only ever loaded windows by accident and then it would cause me grief.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The damned PC is now doing a startup repair as it failed to even boot up this time. I want to do a check of the temperatures of the hardware, a colleague recommended a free piece of software, but I've forgotten the name. Any suggestions of ones worth a go?

Piriform Speccy , from the same outfit as CCleaner.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The PC ran fine overnight, with AVG doing it's magic. It also was fine with CCleaner.

However, as soon as a open Google Chrome it froze again. Odd. Any ideas?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The PC ran fine overnight, with AVG doing it's magic. It also was fine with CCleaner.

However, as soon as a open Google Chrome it froze again. Odd. Any ideas?

Have you updated Chrome ? There was an update a couple of days ago to Version 25.0.1364.97 m

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Do I need to start Chrome to do this, as that seems to crash it?

No , use Firefox or IE and copy & paste this into the address bar (or click here) -> Chrome Browser
Apparently IE10 on windows 7 is still buggy and causes crashes to other browsers on a windows 7 machine , if this is installed on your pc it might a reason everything is screwed up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here