Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any local carpenters on here?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I am starting my level 1 carpentry course in September, all being well and I was wondering if there were any carpenters on here that would be able to give me some voluntary work experience? Obviously i wouldn't expect to be doing skilled stuff at the moment but maybe helping out a bit, lifting and carrying, getting a feel for the environment etc. Perhaps one day a week or whenever you needed.

Or if anyone has any advice it is all gratefuly received.

I'd be available to start as soon as pos.

Like I say I'd be working for free.

Cheers

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
It's a tough long course.Certainly the best trade to get into.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's a tough long course.Certainly the best trade to get into.

It is a trade I have wanted to learn for ages but now have the time to give it my full commitment. I have heard it is tough but am looking forward to it.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
My old man is retired now but his course all those years ago was for 5 years.

He never stopped learning either.He has bulit many extentions etc in mid sussex.He also does his own plumming,elecrical stuff,brickwork,roofing etc.He wouldn't touch plastering as this is a trade in itself.
Certainly pays well when you can bulid up a good reputation like he did.He didn't have to advertise after a while.
Not sure if you can make the money like you use to now though.
Reputation is the key.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Yeah, I know a guy in the trade but he lives miles away. It's a new direction for me, although I picked up some experience as a builders mate in my twenties. The level one lasts a year and then I believe it is another three to get fully qualified in all disciplines but as you say it is a trade you keep learning through the years.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
can you get to perth for 5 am monday morning.....????? if you don't take to the hammer then sparkying is a VERY close second...!! actually better imho..!!! good luck.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
can you get to perth for 5 am monday morning.....????? if you don't take to the hammer then sparkying is a VERY close second...!! actually better imho..!!! good luck.

Ha! travel expenses up-front? I would obviously need to be in first class as I don't like the type of people in standard!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
There's one here. (Any excuse to post this picture)

0,,10433~7476563,00.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Better career than acting

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Better career than acting

Ha! Wondered how long it would be before that was bought up! Yes, you are right, it is certainly more stable. I will build you a new hut.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I have a mate whos a very good carpenter and he said at the moment its shit, he gets squeezed for prices on every site he works on. 3 years ago it was £150 a day, now he's lucky its £120 - take out of that your expenses and tax etc and its very hard work for little reward.
However, if you have no ties then shopfitting is the way to go, its pays around £220 a day for a good chippy, but invaribly you're working wherever they send you and its generally 6-7 days a week.

I'm in no way trying to put you off here, my old mans a chippy and he's very good at what he does, and its a great trade - but at the moment and for the foreseeable future its not a great payer

Last edited:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Shuttering pays well if you build dogs heads:hammer:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Ha! Wondered how long it would be before that was bought up! Yes, you are right, it is certainly more stable. I will build you a new hut.

.. but you could always get into set building.

Have you thought about contacting some of the studios for work experience.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I have a mate whos a very good carpenter and he said at the moment its shit, he gets squeezed for prices on every site he works on. 3 years ago it was £150 a day, now he's lucky its £120 - take out of that your expenses and tax etc and its very hard work for little reward.
However, if you have no ties then shopfitting is the way to go, its pays around £220 a day for a good chippy, but invaribly you're working wherever they send you and its generally 6-7 days a week.

I'm in no way trying to put you off here, my old mans a chippy and he's very good at what he does, and its a great trade - but at the moment and for the foreseeable future its not a great payer

Not to sure which world you live in, but £120 a day Gross is excellant money, not really to sure exactly what expenses you mean above and beyond tax and insurance, and if your talking on a self employed basis, the tax can be reduced with a half decent accountant.

And as for VERY hard work, I have been on building sites most of my life, and ive yet to meet a tired carpenter....(come to that never met a skint one either!!) :lol:

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
Dont listen to the bad vibes on the money..Im a carpenter on £800 a week right through the recession - still plenty of work out there. For a few years was on £1200+ a week till Jan 2009. The money will go up again later this year coz of the certain demand for new homes so dont give up.....oh I already have a lad sorry

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Thank you for advice and encouragement guys, and thanks for the link PsychoBilly. This is all stuff I appreciate and will follow up.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You`ll need to be able to keep a blackedge pencil behind your ear for up to 8 hours a day Nipple.
Oh and get a checked shirt if you want to be taken seriously.
It`s better than working in any office IMHO.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Nibble, you are in pole position for the contract for my new back gate.... the last one I had was a right bodge

micheal64

micheal64
Jan 6, 2010
eastbourne
dont be put off , ive been a carp / joiner since i left school , its a great trade , any advice you need feel free to contact me , good luck

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here