Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Antonio Conte leaves Spurs

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I wonder if we'll see a reaction from the players? He threw them under the bus. Might we see a "we'll show people who the issue was" type reaction for the next free games? Hope not.

An ex-manager bounce if you will.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No one is under the ‘ radar’ in the PL, from players to managers it’s the most watched league in the world. That saying irritates me any coach that excels will be on a larger clubs watch list somewhere.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Fully aware of our league position yeah, I go to most games. I was asked where I thought we’d come in August and I said 4th. The fact we are 4th shows just how embarrassing the league is at the moment. Unsure why me thinking Brighton are going to win a football match next Saturday makes me “entitled”. :Nono:
That's the second time you've said the league is embarrassing, that's putting teams like Brighton down basically saying we're shit as we're not above you.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
That's the second time you've said the league is embarrassing, that's putting teams like Brighton down basically saying we're shit as we're not above you.
You will be above us once we’ve played the same amount of games.

I still don’t think the quality of the league is very good though.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I would assume we have similar (not the same as shorter contract) type of buy out for RdZ as for Potter. There are a few clubs in the world who would pay the fee to have him. I doubt Daniel Levy’s Spurs or many Italian clubs are in that group though!

Chelsea or Citeh for me when the time comes.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Nagelsmann hasn't exactly been a success at Bayern, given they're behind Dortmund with Union keeping pace, and with all of his being 'overly-friendly' with a particular journalist who has been leaking his tactical decisions, would he really be as good an appointment as some are making out?
Yesterday I read a fun article about him being fired by Bayern, unfortunately it's in Italian but it does highlight some interesting stuff despite being deliberately over the top and not overly serious. Maybe if you dump it into DeepL it might provide a viable translation. Here's an excerpt:
Clearly, it is not a question of results: the top spot in the Bundes is only one point away, and their run in the Champions League, with 8 wins out of 8 matches, 21 goals scored and only 2 conceded (against the likes of PSG, Barcelona and Inter), is objectively impressive. Instead, it is about management.

It is pointless repeating ourselves: in certain environments - Juventus, Bayern, Real above all - it is not enough for a coach to be good, perhaps even the best; he must first of all know how to fit into the environment and manage the team. Otherwise it ends up like Sarri and Juventus (and he even won a Scudetto), with Cristiano Ronaldo not showing up for tactical drills and the mutiny of the senators. As in, can you imagine De Zerbi replicating Brighton's splendid mechanics at Manchester United, or going to Real and explaining to Benzema who to press or how to move?

Just like Nagelsmann who explained offensive movements to Lewandowski, provoking the Pole's sharp reaction in training: 'I was the one who set a goalscoring record, not you'. How can you blame him. In certain circles the Ancelottian school reigns: 'he knows what to do', to quote Carletto himself referring to Benzema. Individuals come before tasks, champions before schemes. And fortunately, at least until men disappear from the locker room - not long to go, by the looks of things - things are still like that, and the nerds are forced to wait for their ravenous revenge (in tactics) on life. This dismissal will have come as a shock to them, who had long ago begun autoerotic practices on Julian Nagelsmann's 3-2-5: the laptop trainer par excellence, 'the nerd coach' as Sky Sport also called him - so don't tell us it's just us thinking this. Nagelsmann is one of them, a genius nerd who has made it, who grew up on snacks and Football Manager, who dreams of remote-controlling the footballers on the pitch with earphones and wakes his wife in her sleep by shouting his players' names. With his 1000 screens and tablets that you'd like to throw out the window. In short, the best possible representative that tactics maniacs (who have never been footballers, as Julian has never played a professional game) could dream of.

Someone so cocky, by his own admission, that he had to turn to a horse trainer (?) to appear more conciliatory: 'So many times, people found me extremely arrogant. To solve the problem, I thought of turning to a horse trainer. Why? Simple: they are not judging creatures, they react to your aura. If you enter a stable and the horses move away from you, it means there is something you need to change in your posture, in your attitude. Evidently it was true that I was being dominant, authoritarian, arrogant with those who interacted with me'. Hmm, alright. Judging by recent developments and this conspiracy/mutiny against him, however, it doesn't seem to have worked.
And then the author goes on to write that Bayern is a very particular and conservative environment that welcomes man-managers (Heynckes, Flick) much more than tactical prophets like Guardiola (who had faced a lot of discontent despite winning domestic titles.)

No one is under the ‘ radar’ in the PL, from players to managers it’s the most watched league in the world. That saying irritates me any coach that excels will be on a larger clubs watch list somewhere.
To be fair they said "more under the radar than us", not "under the radar" tout court

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Must be horrible being a Spurs fan at the moment, club in crisis only 4th in the PL and a point off 3rd.....hope it all works out for them! #prayforentitledtosspots
The thing I don’t quite get about Spurs is the undue sense of entitlement. They don’t win competitions and haven’t in many fans lifetimes, particularly those who spout off a lot online. Yet there seems an expectation of success far beyond what other similar sized clubs fans show. Take Newcastle or Everton, both have had or are having genuine low points, but Tottenham do consistently well and it is never enough for many of their supporters.

They’ve had so many managers, top ones at that, who have done spectacularly well in other jobs which aren’t at Spurs. Yet their fans blame the manager if they aren’t a) playing great football and b) challenging for the league against bigger and better sides.

I have no beef with Spurs generally, had a fondness for Ginola/Klinsmann and all that in the 90’s, but they’re bloody lucky to be top 4 given how they’re run and the fans should be grateful for what they have.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
The thing I don’t quite get about Spurs is the undue sense of entitlement. They don’t win competitions and haven’t in many fans lifetimes, particularly those who spout off a lot online. Yet there seems an expectation of success far beyond what other similar sized clubs fans show. Take Newcastle or Everton, both have had or are having genuine low points, but Tottenham do consistently well and it is never enough for many of their supporters.

They’ve had so many managers, top ones at that, who have done spectacularly well in other jobs which aren’t at Spurs. Yet their fans blame the manager if they aren’t a) playing great football and b) challenging for the league against bigger and better sides.

I have no beef with Spurs generally, had a fondness for Ginola/Klinsmann and all that in the 90’s, but they’re bloody lucky to be top 4 given how they’re run and the fans should be grateful for what they have.
As someone who's completely external - it has probably something to do with coming quite close on various occasions and regularly being top 4 or thereabouts but not winning anything, meaning that they could win if they just made a little extra step. It's the "perennial runner-up" syndrome. A bit like us in the Champions League maybe - it's turned into a curse/obsession because we're the team with the highest number of finals lost (7) and only two titles won ('96 after penalties and '85 1-0, but that '85 final was the Heysel one against Liverpool so we definitely didn't celebrate.)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
To be fair, This is the season for Brighton/Brentford/Newcastle/Fulham to get in the top 4, how often will Chelsea/Liverpool/Spurs be this inconsistent all at once.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
To be fair, This is the season for Brighton/Brentford/Newcastle/Fulham to get in the top 4, how often will Chelsea/Liverpool/Spurs be this inconsistent all at once.
How could you possibly say Spurs? Chelsea and Liverpool unusually yes but Spurs? Deluded, they are the most inconsistent team ever. That's where the term Spursy come from ffs

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
How could you possibly say Spurs? Chelsea and Liverpool unusually yes but Spurs? Deluded, they are the most inconsistent team ever. That's where the term Spursy come from ffs

When one of those two are not in the top 4 it is normally Spurs that take advantage.

5 out of last 7 seasons have seen CL football at the club.

So its not delusion in the slightest

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
When one of those two are not in the top 4 it is normally Spurs that take advantage.

5 out of last 7 seasons have seen CL football at the club.

So its not delusion in the slightest
Yes but only to make up the numbers, never get close to winning.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Or is the PL changing with other clubs who used to just make up the numbers in PL getting smarter in the way they operate? Also hearing players from across the world all want to play in the PL regardless of the club it will make the league much more competitive as we are seeing.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Or is the PL changing with other clubs who used to just make up the numbers in PL getting smarter in the way they operate? Also hearing players from across the world all want to play in the PL regardless of the club it will make the league much more competitive as we are seeing.
Money still trumps all of that sadly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here