Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anti-chavism = racism? Discuss

Does anti-chavism = racism?

• Yes it does

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • No, it's just a bit of fun you muppet

Votes: 29 74.4%
  • You lookin' at me? I'll smash yer face in.

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
One of the OED definitions of a race is as follows:

"a group of people sharing the same culture, language etc.; an ethnic group"

and racism is defined as follows:

"discrimination against or antagonism towards other races".

If you look at the chav phenomenon on sociological lines, it is evident that, as a group, they possess some features of a race (by the OED definition) or at least the features of a distinct ethnic group, such as a sub-vocabulary which is used between members and a sub-culture which incorporates an easily distinguishable dress code. They also have behavioural patterns that are distinctive to their "culture" such as drinking in public, having children at a young age and congregating in shopping centres or outside McDonalds.

If you accept that the above points are correct, does this mean that discriminating against them, or making disparaging remarks about them is effectively a form or racism?

I'm not trying to be clever or anything, it would just interest me to see what people think about this.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
It's not racism it's scumism.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Firstly I take issue with the OED's definition of race but it is just biggoted name calling all the same.

If your going to call poor whites chavs, white trash or wiggers why not just go that bit further and call blacks niggers?

Or is it just middle class class hatred?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I just dont like people walking around in Burberry and tracksuits bottoms tucked into their white terry towelling socks and with a JD sports bag slung over the shoulder with a small sprouting moustache that they refuse to acknowledge.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Good grief 'Chavs' as a race. Every one wants victim status these days.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I wouldn't call Chavs poor by definition. Some have lots of cash - you need it when you've got a hundred quid a day Elizabeth Duke habit - they're just scummers.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
People do seem to revel in ripping into these so-called 'chavs' a little bit too much for my liking. Prejudice against a sub culture innit.

jmc

Jul 11, 2003
Portslade
not racism- they just make me laugh - so is that laughing stockism? burberry tracksuits :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Agree with chappers.

Diversity and Tolerance either applies to everyone or no one.

You cant complain about racism or any form of "culturalism" while dissing another group.

I think I'm even handed as I hate everyone, at least I'm not a Hypocrit.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
looney said:
Agree with chappers.

Diversity and Tolerance either applies to everyone or no one.

You cant complain about racism or any form of "culturalism" while dissing another group....
To be honest I agree as well to a certain extent. Far too many members of what are accurately termed the 'chattering classes' look down their pinched noses at people who don't share their cultural values. You can see it with all the sneers about soap operas, Pop Idol, tabloid newspapers and Big Brother. To be honest I'm guilty of it as well.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
How can it be Racism when a chav can be any race? Ive certainly seen white, black and Asian chavs all on the same gang.

It is culturalism.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
Albion Dan said:
How can it be Racism when a chav can be any race? Ive certainly seen white, black and Asian chavs all on the same gang.

It is culturalism.

I was just using the OED definitions of race and racism (which aren't perfect) to make the point. Their definition suggests that ANY group that shares a culture, language etc. can be described as an ethnic group or race, regardless or skin colour or genetic history.

If you wanted to get into massive detail then I could argue that it is very difficult to distinguish between race, ethnicity and culture, the lines are very, very blurred.

The point I realy wanted to make was that it seems OK to look down upon "chav culture" when anyone making similar remarks about another culture would be accused of racism, or "culturalism" if you prefer.

It's just old-fashioned snobbery.

looney - I agred with your first posting, but then just laughed at the sheer stupidity of your second posting. I was looking forward to pointing out that in your first posting you had provided a precis of a column piece in last Saturday's Guardian. But you know that, of course - being a good, healthy Guardian-reading liberal yourself.

Little Piggy

Oct 27, 2003
Ireland
To a point I can agree it is snobbery, only because the term "Chav" seems to be widening to include people who wear trainers that I don't like.

True Chavs, the ones before the phrase really took off, are a bunch of aggressive little wankers and deserve to be given a good kicking. And you cannot deny that.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Not sure on this one, however one thing I have always wondered, why is it only white Americans get called trailer park trash?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here