Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anthony Taylor - referee

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Agreed. I’ve just said similar. He was dire.
He was no worse than many refs that we have seen at the Amex, in fact Anthony Taylor is one of our top officials, officiated at the World Cup finals.

I do agree that something should be done about this incessant time wasting at the end of games though. 6 minutes were added on last night, it should have been longer.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
He was no worse than many refs that we have seen at the Amex, in fact Anthony Taylor is one of our top officials, officiated at the World Cup finals.

I do agree that something should be done about this incessant time wasting at the end of games though. 6 minutes were added on last night, it should have been longer.

The fact that he’s supposed to be one of our top refs speaks more to the overall standards (or lack of).

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Thought he was good
So you're happy players having a party everything they score?

It's no good warning players for timewasting book them early on, it sets the game up.

Managing the game has gone out the window with most refs. Allowing time for player to get to his feet when he was obviously not injured.

Shocking

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
So you're happy players having a party everything they score?

It's no good warning players for timewasting book them early on, it sets the game up.

Managing the game has gone out the window with most refs. Allowing time for player to get to his feet when he was obviously not injured.

Shocking
I’d forgotten about that “injury”. Referees have become nursemaids petrified by the thought of being accused of not looking after the players’ welfare and health. If a player goes down injured and requires treatment there should be a mandatory treatment time OFF the pitch. Prolonged goal celebrations deliberately designed to waste time should be rewarded, after a warning, with the captain being carded for failing to control his team. Keepers should not need to be reminded of the rules about wasting time.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Saka should have had a second yellow for the late foul on Mitoma…..
Are you suggesting a Premier League referee should send off a star of the England team?

I am shocked and appalled.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Especially irritating was the way he told them to return to their own half then did nothing when they continued to celebrate in their huddle in the middle of the pitch.
The laws state that the referee “must” caution a player who excessively delays a restart. He could have quite rightly booked all of those in those huddles!
Yeah, the timewasting after the goals was particularly irritating and the referee should have set his stall out after the opener. But he didn't.

When they scored their fourth - by the time they'd actually managed to make it almost back to their own half with us ready to restart, one of the Arsenal players - can't remember who - walked forward across the centre circle and into our half to congratulate his team mate. The referee was either completely oblivious to it or let him do it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Can't we just have an 'Albion lose- Ref Anger Thread' ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I’d forgotten about that “injury”. Referees have become nursemaids petrified by the thought of being accused of not looking after the players’ welfare and health. If a player goes down injured and requires treatment there should be a mandatory treatment time OFF the pitch. Prolonged goal celebrations deliberately designed to waste time should be rewarded, after a warning, with the captain being carded for failing to control his team. Keepers should not need to be reminded of the rules about wasting time.
He was on the ground holding his head, the ref stopped the game, he proceeded to sit up and rub his SHIN. The ref even helped him up and then stood speaking to him for at least 30 seconds.

We are too nice though. Dunk should be forcing the issue constantly in the ear of the ref.

It is becoming a joke now. Players clutching their heads to stop an attack. Players taking an age to be treated. Refs need to tell them to get off the pitch, if not book them. What really pisses me off is when they are close to the touchline, shuffle off or you're booked. Anyone going down clutching their head is an automatic stretcher off the pitch. Refusing the stretcher is a bookable offence. The player is then assessed by a doctor not just a physio. We have enough officials these days why not have an EPL doctor on the touchline who can give an impartial decision.

The new rule that a head injury in the area automatically results in a drop ball to the keeper is plainly wrong. One player this week headed the ball with no one around and fell to the floor FFS.

Any player who needs attention has to re-enter play via the 4th official's position having left the field of play at the closest point. Just watching the Spurs v Villa game perfect example Young had the ball 1 yard from the touchline knocks the ball out and sits down. Should be a booking. If he needs attention by all means knock the ball out and then walk off for attention.

And don't give the f***ing ball back, EVER.

All in all I totally hate play acting and have had arguments with other Brighton fans around me when our players do it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Can't we just have an 'Albion lose- Ref Anger Thread' ?
That's rubbish, the ref got all the main decisions correct other than the management of the game which is a systematic issue in most games these days.

I spoke with my Arsenal mate last night, and I said I would have enjoyed the game for the way Arsenal attacked and they played some great football apart from their insistence in time wasting and the ref was complicit with it.

The ref could have dealt with it with ease, book the keeper and book the captain for not retreating when they scored. It would have nipped it in the bud. Oh and actually add the correct amount of time on.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That's rubbish, the ref got all the main decisions correct other than the management of the game which is a systematic issue in most games these days.

I spoke with my Arsenal mate last night, and I said I would have enjoyed the game for the way Arsenal attacked and they played some great football apart from their insistence in time wasting and the ref was complicit with it.

The ref could have dealt with it with ease, book the keeper and book the captain for not retreating when they scored. It would have nipped it in the bud. Oh and actually add the correct amount of time on.
This, to a tee.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Seems to me time wasting is one of those 'when we're winning and we do it it's fine, when our opponents are winning and they do it, it's the worst crime, and we never do it that badly. So, I'm not personally all that worked up by it.

Also, he did book one of their players for it - when they lined up to take a free kick in their own half, then ran away to let somoeone else come over and take it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here