Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another 'under the radar' report on the Albion.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Interesting piece but my bugbear this season are reporters referring to last year's 'play-off failure' as if that tells the story. The ones who know their stuff about the Championship refer to how close we were to automatic promotion. It's an important distinction as the context makes sense of what's happening this season. It's not as if this team appeared from nowhere. It makes me laugh when I hear pundits talking about Weds and how they ripped up the division last season - a notion entirely based on them reaching the P/O Final, and ignoring that they were way, way off the top 3 pace.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I think the FFP stuff is interesting. I've read other clubs say we're overspending etc, but to be honest I'm not sure where we stand anymore. A few years back when Leicester and Bournemouth overspent, we were adamant that we would stick by the rules. But now it appears that clubs that haven't stuck to the rules have "got away with it", I wonder whether we're throwing caution to the wind . It feels like we've had a change in attitude towards FFP. I might be wrong. It just seems we were quite vocal about FFP at first and appear to have gone the other way.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Little bit on BBC 5Live at about 18:20 Thursday evening. Quick chat with their 'football league' pundit. Newcastle and Brighton are up. Brighton are in financial trouble having spent £25 million of a three year £30 million FFP budget and so failure would mean trouble.

I tweeted Clem last night to put him right on it.

His reply
[tweet]814543780435136512[/tweet]

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Last season, players Gordon Greer and Inigo Calderon felt that if the players are on promotion-based incentives and bonuses, the backroom staff and club personnel should be, too. Bloom agreed.

Didn't know that. Not surprised by it in the slightest. :bowdown:

i would take it with a pinch of salt if i were you

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
'The gaffer keeps us grounded,' says Murray, who has 15 goals so far. 'We won late at Birmingham recently and he was the only one not smiling! He is calm 98 per cent of the time, but it can be a different story at half-time.

This doesn't surprise me! How many times have Brighton come out in the second half looking like a different team this season, including a few notable times where Hughton has clearly earned his salt during the half time break.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I tweeted Clem last night to put him right on it.

His reply
[tweet]814543780435136512[/tweet]

I'm fairly sure the FFP loss was £13M, the rest being depreciation & spend on the Academy/youth which doesn't count.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I'm fairly sure the FFP loss was £13M, the rest being depreciation & spend on the Academy/youth which doesn't count.

Agreed if we had flouted FPP so badly it would be on the FRONT page of the Argus all week before the BBC investigated.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think the FFP stuff is interesting. I've read other clubs say we're overspending etc, but to be honest I'm not sure where we stand anymore. A few years back when Leicester and Bournemouth overspent, we were adamant that we would stick by the rules. But now it appears that clubs that haven't stuck to the rules have "got away with it", I wonder whether we're throwing caution to the wind . It feels like we've had a change in attitude towards FFP. I might be wrong. It just seems we were quite vocal about FFP at first and appear to have gone the other way.

Its a rolling aggregate limit these days and we're currently within it. It seems pretty clear if we don't go up this year then there will need to be some serious adjustments to the playing staff and/or budget to continue to play fair. From the outside it looks like Bloom is putting all he eggs into this season's basket.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I don't quite get this under-the-radar thing. I've had numerous football supporters, acquaintances and work colleagues all congratulate me and ask about the Albion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Its a rolling aggregate limit these days and we're currently within it. It seems pretty clear if we don't go up this year then there will need to be some serious adjustments to the playing staff and/or budget to continue to play fair. From the outside it looks like Bloom is putting all he eggs into this season's basket.
The eggs are in the basket for promotion this season.
But with the exception of Stephens, I'd guess Tony is expecting, one way or another, to considerably reduce the debt this Summer.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

You are wrong. This had been analysed at length on nsc. Worth hunting to find the threads. We're playing by the rules. But thankful to Tony Bloom for subsidising the club.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
As an aside I don't quite get this under-the-radar thing. I've had numerous football supporters, acquaintances and work colleagues all congratulate me and ask about the Albion.

I'm told the germans have a more astute way of detecting the truth and getting better info.

German%201917a.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here