Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another goalkeeper? [Ali Al-Habsi]

Magic City

Mar 29, 2014
After Walton's performance against Spurs I feel more than happy to see him keep the shirt if Stockdale's injury is bad. Casper can then cover on the bench. The question about either Walton or Casper getting injured is interesting, as I think rightly or wrongly we should wait for the injury to occur before bringing in Al-Habsi.

I think if we were scoring goals, I'd feel far more comfortable with Al-Habsi coming in. Yet as we're not, I feel very cautious as I think the money could be better spent on an attacking player.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Our recruitment process is an absolute stinking shambles. No wonder Gus decided he wanted out.

Don't worry our own Teflon Burke is making sure we only have the best recruitment team going. He sacked Zigor Aranalde who found Ulloa, along with Mervyn Day, who was so bad at his job he ended up as Head of Recruitment at that other little Albion club, West Brom. I am sure you will agree, since he has been solely responsible for identifying the correct kind of players that he described in the Albion Roar we need, they have all been first class signings.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Just updated in the Argus via
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11571845.UPDATED__Albion_linked_with_swoop_for_keeper/
The FA Cup winner is heading south to complete the formalities of a temporary switch, believed to be initially for a month.

Albion No. 1 David Stockdale missed Wednesday's Capital One Cup exit at Spurs with a broken finger.
It was initially thought he would be able to play on with painkilling injections but Stockdale is now expected to be sidelined for several weeks.

Christian Walton, 18, was praised by boss Sami Hyypia for a competent debut between the posts at White Hart Lane.
Albion also have the experienced Casper Ankergren on their books still as cover.
If 32-year-old Omani international Al-Habsi signs then he is unlikely to be allowed to play against Wigan, visitors to the Amex on Tuesday.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can you give a list of the strikers available? That would be good.

All strikers are available for the right price.

Not wanting to sound too desperate, but have you heard anything along these lines?

I think a loan-to-buy is something the club would look at doing, yes. As [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] illustrated above though, it's finding the right man. No one believed we'd be entering November with one league goal in total from CMS, Baldock and O'Grady.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Surely having Walton and Ankergren as back up is fine?

It completely depends on how long Stockdale is going to be absent for. Personally l wouldn't let Caspar the clown anywhere near the first team jersey, (although others will have differing views). and Christian Walton, terrific prospect though he is, is only 18 and still developing, and throwing him into the first team for a lengthy period of time could only hinder that development.

Hence if Stockdale is going to be missing for anymore than say, half a dozen games, l would say let's bring in an experienced custodian on loan. We are too close to the bottom of the table to take any chances.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
It completely depends on how long Stockdale is going to be absent for. Personally l wouldn't let Caspar the clown anywhere near the first team jersey, (although others will have differing views). and Christian Walton, terrific prospect though he is, is only 18 and still developing, and throwing him into the first team for a lengthy period of time could only hinder that development.

Hence if Stockdale is going to be missing for anymore than say, half a dozen games, l would say let's bring in an experienced custodian on loan. We are too close to the bottom of the table to take any chances.

So are you going to play him during his time here or see if Walton can do the business?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Imagine this scenario.

- Sami gets to the club, decides that Casper is shite and doesn't want him involved.
- Stockdale gets an injury that could last for more than a month
- Sami decides he doesn't want to put too much pressure on Walton who is still very young.
- We sign a decent new keeper on loan

Is that so weird?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Shame we haven't showed the same urgency in getting in a Championship quality striker. I'd personally be more than happy with Casper or Walton for a few games to see how it goes.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Nice way to dent Caspers confidence. Club is a shambles at the moment.

I'd imagine his confidence was dented long ago, we've replaced him with Harper, Gonzales, Kuszczack,Walton, Stockdale and we even played Brezovan ahead of him. I'd prefer to see the club protecting the confidence of Walton as he should here long term and is a genuine prospect.

IMO.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Why isn't he getting a game at Wigan anymore? He was pretty useful in the Premier league. Walton is young. One big mistake now in a key league game might knock his confidence.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'd imagine his confidence was dented long ago, we've replaced him with Harper, Gonzales, Kuszczack,Walton, Stockdale and we even played Brezovan ahead of him. I'd prefer to see the club protecting the confidence of Walton as he should here long term and is a genuine prospect.

IMO.

Who would you play on Tuesday night against Wigan (assuming Stockdale is injured and Al-Habsi can't play under the terms of the deal with Wigan themselves)?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
So are you going to play him during his time here or see if Walton can do the business?

I would play Al Habsi, and have Walton as back up. Play Walton sparingly, (if either Al Habsi or Stockdale get injured), and look toward Walton playing a little more regularly next season. Playing him in too many games so early in his career, and at such a young age, could hinder his development.

As for Ankergren, he should have been released along with Brezovan at the end of last season.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
El-Habsi will start surely, far too early to be throwing Walton in for an extended run in the Championship in my opinion, escpecially given our current predicament

Ideally i would like to see Walton out on loan for 3 months at a L1 or L2 side

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here