Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andy Naylor should be renamed…

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It’s a bit baffling. But wasn’t he like this with McGhee back in the day ? One dour northerner sticking up for another

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I was on here defending him a few weeks back. but the constant sniping and the condescending remarks towards supporters, combined with a frankly weird determination to absolve chelsea/potter of any wrongdoing has been frankly embarrassing
And retweeting every Athletic article about Potter still is a bit odd

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've heard he is always right :shrug:

Anyway, aren't you a needy bunch - this obsession with what pundits, "experts" and their grandmas thinks about this or that.
On transfers he is.

Otherwise he’s a shit writer with an agenda against Brighton fans. So I guess The Athletic keep him on because of his correct approach to the transfer window.

I’d be astonished if anyone under 40 actually read his articles

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
see I appreciate who he caters for has changed since moving to the athletic. but the way he interacts with our fanbase these days is genuinely bordering on disdain and this just really doesn't sit well with me given he's meant to our (the fans') main source of info

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Remember him getting really pissy when he was tweeting articles about how great Potter would be for Chelsea shortly after he left and was met with a barrage of “I don’t care about him” replies.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Mostly his Twitter timeline.

Look at his posts after the match and then We Are Brighton’s. You can tell who the real fans read.
I like Naylor, although I'm not keen on his dismissive attitude at times. Then again, looking at his timeline I'm not surprised. Sometimes the Twitter bowels empty themselves on there.

All he said earlier was that it was sad to see Bruno booed at the end. Just an opinion. No need for a four letter frenzy.

As for We Are Brighton. I find it a bit tabloidy at times, but I still read a load of stuff in there. There's something quite compulsive about it. The writer is an intelligent bloke.

So I fall in between. But I'm a dullard who likes to keep the peace. I don't agree with your 'real fans' thing though. There is no hive conformity. Folk read what they prefer. It takes all sorts. If you like Naylor, read Naylor. If you like WAB read WAB. I read both.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
He's the reason I canceled my subscription to The Athletic.

He really does not come across well on Twitter.

I can't understand why he continues to cover us? It doesn't appear that he enjoys it and judging by the replies to his tweets he's not reading the room... It's weird that "our" journalist appears to have such a rocky relationship with the fanbase he reports for. I find the whole thing baffling.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He's the reason I canceled my subscription to The Athletic.

He really does not come across well on Twitter.

I can't understand why he continues to cover us? It doesn't appear that he enjoys it and judging by the replies to his tweets he's not reading the room... It's weird that "our" journalist appears to have such a rocky relationship with the fanbase he reports for. I find the whole thing baffling.
The other way of looking at it is that he has a tendency to address folk in the same way they address him, although with restraint. The abuse he suffers is unwarranted. I saw some of the reactions to his comments about Bruno. Twitter really is a cesspit.

I have an Athletic subscription and he is good at after the event analysis, often giving insights that we weren't aware of. These insights are not given during the process so the accusations that he is a bit comfy with the club may have some grounding. I won't be renewing once the cheap rate goes.

He is dull because he is safe and tends only to run with facts. I think a lot of folk expect more from his reporting but they will never get it. He only really deals with stuff once it's been through the refiners fire- but that's not much fun. But, yes, I do agree that being close to the club can limit a reporters armoury.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here