Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Naylor having a say on transfer rumours

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Ulloa got regular game time, and even he would have had trouble scoring with Hughtons negative tactics in the last part of our season. Where was Ulloas magic when we played Palace for 180 mins or when he missed the penalty? Sometimes the Gods shine down on you and sometimes they don't, so hopefully next season O'Grady will get what he is owed. Murray had a poor season with Palace, followed by a brilliant one. From what I have seen of O'Grady's general game play, I believe he does have potential. The hold up play and assist to Kaz's goal against Derby was quality and there were other good moments like hitting the post, being a whisker wide, or shots well saved. Best was the one who spoilt his show last season.

In fairness the only comparison I can find between Ulloa and O'Grady is they've both scored against Arsenal at the Amex, but then again so have Baldock and Barnes and they're both better than O'Grady as well. Best thing we can do with O'Grady is try and ship him out, he's got no class and he's far too old for potential.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
if we are serious about challenging this season then we are gonna need players a million times better than ogrady!!!!

That's quite an improvement. Who did you have in mind?

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Why would you spend so much money on a player with season on season diminishing returns, across the board on all his stats?

Thank god, at last, some sense.

An Albion great no doubt. But now an expensive vanity buy, wracked by injuries and well into the twilight of his career. And that's without considering the fact we could be signing a far younger, healthier hot prospect in his place.

Anyone pedalling this 'Bring back Bobby at all cost' nonsense is showing a distinct lack of wisdom.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Thank god, at last, some sense.

An Albion great no doubt. But now an expensive vanity buy, wracked by injuries and well into the twilight of his career. And that's without considering the fact we could be signing a far younger, healthier hot prospect in his place.

Anyone pedalling this 'Bring back Bobby at all cost' nonsense is showing a distinct lack of wisdom.
Which planet have you been since BZ was rumored to be returning. Stat Brother has been peddling that opinion at ever given opportunity and then some.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sounds the same as I said on a thread yesterday - it was mentioned to me that the club were happy that most of their targets had not been discussed or publicised.

This could well be true, especially if we are keeping our powder dry and haven't even approached anyone yet? :wink:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Sounds the same as I said on a thread yesterday - it was mentioned to me that the club were happy that most of their targets had not been discussed or publicised.

Transfer gossip out of L1 & L2 don't really hit the headlines thankfully.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
In fairness the only comparison I can find between Ulloa and O'Grady is they've both scored against Arsenal at the Amex, but then again so have Baldock and Barnes and they're both better than O'Grady as well. Best thing we can do with O'Grady is try and ship him out, he's got no class and he's far too old for potential.

To be fair you haven't really tried to understand my points in #68

I can see you have made your mind up about him but I am leaving mine open and giving everyone the benefit of the doubt and clean slate for the start of the season, and that includes Hughton after being disappointed with the negative football and giving that useless Best game time.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
To be fair you haven't really tried to understand my points in #68

I can see you have made your mind up about him but I am leaving mine open and giving everyone the benefit of the doubt and clean slate for the start of the season, and that includes Hughton after being disappointed with the negative football and giving that useless Best game time.

I've made my mind up about O'Grady as well.

Hold the ball up - Yes

Everything else - No

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
With AZ and PSV now talking to NEC about him? No chance.

If the players take the same attitude as that we won't win a game all season.

If we see ourselves as as potentially achieving something this year we cant just walk away from trying to sign these type of players just because a bigger club comes in for them. We need to fight to get the better players. They won't just pop into the Amex because they were passing

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Hold the ball up - Yes

Everything else - No

Did you stop improving after 29 and was it downhill from there? You may be feeling this way because of personal experiences? :)

I prefer to go into next season giving everyone a clean slate. If I want a pound of flesh I would go to the butchers.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

Hold the ball up - Yes

Everything else - No

We would do better if when he does hold the ball up, the midfield need to push up. That's been the problem, which is hardly his fault, the team are not pushing forward to support him

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Did you stop improving after 29 and was it downhill from there? You may be feeling this way because of personal experiences? :)

I prefer to go into next season giving everyone a clean slate. If I want a pound of flesh I would go to the butchers.

I stopped improving after 26 ! :ffsparr:

Ok , I'm with you , and think that when he hits his 30's he'll get quicker, a better touch and a better finisher to name just a few. :albion2:

No more more negative waves from me.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
We would do better if when he does hold the ball up, the midfield need to push up. That's been the problem, which is hardly his fault, the team are not pushing forward to support him

It would help, not so sure its the main answer to our goal scoring problems though.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I am leaving mine open and giving everyone the benefit of the doubt and clean slate for the start of the season, and that includes Hughton after being disappointed with the negative football and giving that useless Best game time.

I think the fact he played Best over O'Grady tells you all you need to know, Houghton is no mug and he wouldn't be here unless he knows the club are willing to back him. It's my firm belief the only reason we hav'nt signed any players so far is down to the quality of players we are after signing, they don't come cheap and they don't come easy.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think the fact he played Best over O'Grady tells you all you need to know, Houghton is no mug and he wouldn't be here unless he knows the club are willing to back him. It's my firm belief the only reason we hav'nt signed any players so far is down to the quality of players we are after signing, they don't come cheap and they don't come easy.

Hughton chose Best over O'Grady because he was obliged to, it was his loan player and was personally committed to trying him out, and a fat lot of good he did for us. Did Best have any shots, was he ever a whisker wide, did he hit the post, did he force any saves, did he have any assists? No, O’Grady did all these though.

If Hughton thinks Best was even a slightly better player than O'Grady he would have signed him by now.

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
If Hughton thinks Best was even a slightly better player than O'Grady he would have signed him by now.

Very much doubt Chris Houghton wants either to be honest, Chris Houghton wants to raise his stock after getting sacked by Norwich and he won't be doing that with either Best or O'Grady. He'll be looking for quality players to come here and it's my bet that's what's taking time.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Very much doubt Chris Houghton wants either to be honest, Chris Houghton wants to raise his stock after getting sacked by Norwich and he won't be doing that with either Best or O'Grady. He'll be looking for quality players to come here and it's my bet that's what's taking time.

You can't use second guessing Hughton to back yourself up :lolol: It's my opinion against yours. I've given you my fair reasoning.

You missed out this from my quote;

"Did Best have any shots, was he ever a whisker wide, did he hit the post, did he force any saves, did he have any assists?"
Well did he?

If you really think that Best is better than O'Grady then you are not reading the game correctly.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
With the lack any new players actually signing, I'm actually rather excited about Roberts returning. Plus, I nearly forgot Joe Ward. 2 signings already!!!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
You can't use second guessing Hughton to back yourself up :lolol: It's my opinion against yours. I've given you my fair reasoning.

You missed out this from my quote;

"Did Best have any shots, was he ever a whisker wide, did he hit the post, did he force any saves, did he have any assists?"
Well did he?

If you really think that Best is better than O'Grady then you are not reading the game correctly.

Best was a lazy sh*t but still contributed the same as O'Grady IMO, You can hit the post and be a whisker wide as much as you want but it's the end of season stats that count. Best no goals league from open play, O'Grady no league goals from open play. For £500k and a 3 year contract I would have hoped for more than one penalty goal as a contribution to our league season.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Best was a lazy sh*t but still contributed the same as O'Grady IMO, You can hit the post and be a whisker wide as much as you want but it's the end of season stats that count. Best no goals league from open play, O'Grady no league goals from open play. For £500k and a 3 year contract I would have hoped for more than one penalty goal as a contribution to our league season.

That's fine if you disagree and cannot see the bigger picture but we can come back to this later on in the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here