Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andone

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sacking the recruitment team would be harsh - every club has had it's fair share of duffs and presumably a few people within the club sanctioned it. That said it wasn't to long after that Ashworth was appointed to act between Winstanley and Barber, so we did at least make some changes. And to be fair for every Locadia, we have a Mac Allister, Gross etc...

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
Have never understood why Andone has received such condemnation by a large proportion of posters on here. Yes, he had a stupid sending off against Southampton with an over-the-top challenge; he wasn't the first and will by no means be the last to do that...

Topped up with some pretty lazy and baseless journalism around him being able to have a leaving-do in a phonebox; presumably linked to that clip of him tripping up Bernardo. A quick scroll on his social media would show that he seems to be pretty-well liked across the squad... 'Explosive' interview aside where he criticised Hughton's playing style and thought he should be playing more (Which in the passage of time I think most people would agree; we should have been more attacking) - there isn't much to slate him here for either..

Casting minds back to our 2nd season in the Prem, when we were pretty ****ing rubbish in large parts - he scored 3 goals in the league; 2x winning goals against Huddersfield - and the 3rd goal v Palace. Without those three goals we would not have stayed up.

Given he cost £5.5m; is that really that bad a return for securing PL status for 2019/20..? Rather undervalued by most in my view given importance of goals scored v fee paid.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Have never understood why Andone has received such condemnation by a large proportion of posters on here. Yes, he had a stupid sending off against Southampton with an over-the-top challenge; he wasn't the first and will by no means be the last to do that...

Topped up with some pretty lazy and baseless journalism around him being able to have a leaving-do in a phonebox; presumably linked to that clip of him tripping up Bernardo. A quick scroll on his social media would show that he seems to be pretty-well liked across the squad... 'Explosive' interview aside where he criticised Hughton's playing style and thought he should be playing more (Which in the passage of time I think most people would agree; we should have been more attacking) - there isn't much to slate him here for either..

Casting minds back to our 2nd season in the Prem, when we were pretty ****ing rubbish in large parts - he scored 3 goals in the league; 2x winning goals against Huddersfield - and the 3rd goal v Palace. Without those three goals we would not have stayed up.

Given he cost £5.5m; is that really that bad a return for securing PL status for 2019/20..? Rather undervalued by most in my view given importance of goals scored v fee paid.

I think "such condemnation" is overstating it a bit. The fact is, he was unreliable both in a disciplinary sense and a performance sense and his injuries got the better of him here. He always seemed to be playing right on that razor fine edge of passion and lunacy and there were plenty of times watching him that you'd think "he'll be carded soon". It's his way of playing and it's served him fairly well, but in a team that relies on a seriously hard working grafter of a striker you need someone that will be on the pitch for the majority of games.

I know Maupay has his disciplinary issues, but Maupay is at least twice the overall player Andone is and his wider contribution to the team is hugely underrated or ignored entirely. Maupay is also a reliable performer, if it's not goals, it's assists and general nuisance factor in almost every game. Could he score more? Yes. Does he score more than Andone? Also yes.

Andone was a calculated gamble at £5.5m and I don't think he was ever given a chance to properly dislodge Murray because a) Murray was unequivocably no. 1and b) when Andone did start, we still played as if Murray was up top. Like all of our former players - I wish him well and hope he puts his injuries behind him and does well somewhere.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Add the red card against West Brom for violent conduct and various issues of attitude issues around the training ground … plus the fact it was him regularly banging the managers door and getting shi**y when he wasn’t playing and asking for a move.

Plus was Bernardo that kicked him not the other way round.

The fact that he is on his third loan spell and they are looking to send him back tells you where the issues are.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Agree -the sort of player you need to massage their ego but will get you results, very much like AK who many write-off because of where he is now rather than what he did for us.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agree -the sort of player you need to massage their ego but will get you results, very much like AK who many write-off because of where he is now rather than what he did for us.

I don't think that is true. I think AK reached his level with us at that time and with some of the baggage he had, a fresh start was good for everyone

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Not so sure he is coming back

Starts for Cadiz this afternoon

0-0 currently. (Copa del Rey away at Fuenlabrada)

He's still on the pitch, 5 mins into the 2nd half.

I hope he scores - better for all parties if he makes a fist of it there and can secure a move somewhere.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I hope he scores - better for all parties if he makes a fist of it there and can secure a move somewhere.

I'm watching this match. He is actually playing pretty well, the opposite to Locadia vs Leeds.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I've always liked him.
A smaller version of Diego Costa who played right on the edge.
A proper old fashioned centre forward.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Without the goals, physical presence to be able to lead a line on his own, multiple trophies etc. The only thing they have in common is the chip on their shoulder. If you swapped Costa for Andone, he'd be banging them in for Cadiz.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

He's supposed to be securing a move to Cadiz as its a loan to buy. Lets hope the buy clause kicks in based on a very mediocre season or we'll be getting back in the summer if they don't follow through on their threat to cancel the loan in January.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
He's supposed to be securing a move to Cadiz as its a loan to buy. Lets hope the buy clause kicks in based on a very mediocre season or we'll be getting back in the summer if they don't follow through on their threat to cancel the loan in January.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was an option to buy, so there's no obligation (and seeing as he was cast out of the squad, it wasn't looking likely that they'd exercise their option...)

Cadiz must've been short of players as they have 6 on the bench (oppo has 10), so maybe they've had a covid outbreak.

He was subbed off after 79 mins (still 0-0). 5 subs made, so only the sub GK hasn't come on!

Hopefully he's done enough to work his way back into contention and can get himself in the shop window

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I'm really not sure they can unilaterally cancel this loan although media reports would suggest they've considered it.

Andone has now played in their last two fixtures and should see action in their next one on Sunday - this does not seem like the selection policy of a club about to send a player back to his parent club in disgrace. Fingers crossed, he stays and gets his permanent transfer sorted.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I could be wrong, but I thought it was an option to buy, so there's no obligation (and seeing as he was cast out of the squad, it wasn't looking likely that they'd exercise their option...)

Cadiz must've been short of players as they have 6 on the bench (oppo has 10), so maybe they've had a covid outbreak.

He was subbed off after 79 mins (still 0-0). 5 subs made, so only the sub GK hasn't come on!

Hopefully he's done enough to work his way back into contention and can get himself in the shop window

It's an option but there will be a point that it will be automatically triggered depending on what is stated in the contract. He's highly unlikely to meet those clauses as he's simply not playing enough and very unlikely to figure going forward in La Liga, today is only his sixth appearance of the season (3 starts, 3 sub appearances) across all competitions.

I'm really not sure they can unilaterally cancel this loan although media reports would suggest they've considered it.

Andone has now played in their last two fixtures and should see action in their next one on Sunday - this does not seem like the selection policy of a club about to send a player back to his parent club in disgrace. Fingers crossed, he stays and gets his permanent transfer sorted.

He'd already be back I think but Cadiz must be having a bit of an injury/covid problem, their bench has been short in numbers the last few matches, so maybe they are leaving it till nearer the end of the window to send him back when players are fit etc. Apart from two recent games in the Copa Del Ray he has only figured once off the bench for them since October in the league playing a grand total of 35 mins. I get the feeling he's playing at the moment cause they simply don't have anyone else.

Last edited:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Cadiz got a late winner FWIW so he may well get another opportunity in the next round.

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here