Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

And yet ANOTHER strike ....

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Yes, " Lucky to have a Job " marvellous Old Chestnut and just in time for Christmas !..........I'm optimistic about getting a pay rise possibly next week, it will be my first rise since Jan 2015, maybe I should not accept the 1-1.5 % I might get after all, I'm lucky to have a job, any job and hell I am lording it on £8.20 an hour.

Yeah - keep bending over and taking it from the man - don't you dare question it, just be grateful you draw any type of wage at all you lucky lucky bleeder. If you don't like it I hear JD Sports are hiring...they must be great employers as people are queuing round the block...

Last edited:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
My wife have had a horrific and stressful year with custody issues of my children and as some light relief have booked to take her away just after Xmas and celebrate NYE abroad, if this trip is disrupted I will hold BA and the unions in contempt, both of them are scum!

This thread is about the Gatwick Swissport strike no?
Are you flying from Gatwick or Heathrow? And where?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38347283

Love the phrase -

"Unite's national officer for civil air transport, Oliver Richardson, said: "Our members are only taking this industrial action as a last resort in a bid to reach a fair settlement - our members have not had a pay rise since 2014."

You mean with a weeks notice to ruining families Christmas is a last resort ?? W@nkers !!!! I note the article doesn't say what OTHER efforts they've made to resolve the problem .... probably because they haven't made any other efforts.

Wasn't the sacredness of Christmas lost on most people a long, long time ago? What exactly are they ruining? The chance to moan and whinge at each other on Dec. 25th?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Wasn't the sacredness of Christmas lost on most people a long, long time ago? What exactly are they ruining? The chance to moan and whinge at each other on Dec. 25th?

As far as I'm aware plenty of people still enjoy a family get together at Christmas regardless of their view of the 'sacredness' of it. It's probably the only time of year a majority of people have off work ( yes, I know, before any one jumps on that statement, plenty of people work over it - I used to ) and so are able to visit family. Hence why this lot are a bunch of cynical wankers to have chosen the dates they have.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Agreed, people could maybe have sympathy if they had gone to the press months ago and said something along the lines of " look we want to negotiate better conditions or wages whatever and give you two months to sit round the table with us and if nothing can be agreed we WILL be taking action as a LAST resort and these are the days we plan"

Now I see nothing wrong with that, instead it seems they are holding the company to ransom and again the public are the collateral damage and essential no public travelling no income to the companies involved no job. It seems the public are fair game at the moment and the unions are reverting to bully boy tactics from the 70s and 80s.

Unfortunately I'm fully expecting the teachers to start striking soon, that will really feck us all up.

Due to the funding gap, at least one school in Brighton may have to go over to a 4 day week as a temporary measure, West Sussex are thinking of doing the same.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
The law needs to be changed to stop unions holding the public to ransom.
What cliched crap that is. Pay people a reasonable amount of money to live on and treat people with it bit of respect. If companies did that I think you'd find more people wouldn't have to go on strike as a matter of last resort.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
What cliched crap that is. Pay people a reasonable amount of money to live on and treat people with it bit of respect. If companies did that I think you'd find more people wouldn't have to go on strike as a matter of last resort.

Train drivers earn in excess of £40k and I understand they do a 37 hour week ..... how is that not being paid reasonably ?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Train drivers earn in excess of £40k and I understand they do a 37 hour week ..... how is that not being paid reasonably ?

As the train drivers striking over pay then?

News to me.

I can't believe so many would be happy to see the ability to withdraw your labour in protest outlawed by government. Can't you see where that would end up?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

News to me.

I can't believe so many would be happy to see the ability to withdraw your labour in protest outlawed by government. Can't you see where that would end up?

I haven't suggested it should be outlawed. I just don't think it really is used as the option of last resort. The problem is that unions ( and their members ) seem to lack the imagination to do anything else.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Christmas time, always a great time to maximise collateral damage and use that leverage to get a pay rise.

"Last resort", hilarious. Surely if you have an issue with the job your last resort is, by definition, quitting.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

News to me.

An efficient labour market?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Your verision of that is what? Millions more on the minimum wage?

Just seems odd, you apply for a job, accept the job offer and contract, and then at a later date decide you aren't happy with the contract. But rather than leaving the job, you leverage government laws to force a higher salary by threatening disruption to the general public. It's extortion in everything but name. So my version would be, if you don't like the job, your protest can be to quit and let someone else do the job who is more willing.

I don't know what the consequence would be. But I don't believe wealth can be conjured by legislation alone (to your minimum wage comment). Wealth results from hard work, and more wealth comes when the person most willing to do the work does it. That cannot happen efficiently with strike protection.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Just seems odd, you apply for a job, accept the job offer and contract, and then at a later date decide you aren't happy with the contract. But rather than leaving the job, you leverage government laws to force a higher salary by threatening disruption to the general public. It's extortion in everything but name. So my version would be, if you don't like the job, your protest can be to quit and let someone else do the job who is more willing.

I don't know what the consequence would be. But I don't believe wealth can be conjured by legislation alone.

You are completely missing the point. You get a job, you might even enjoy the job and want to stay in it. You might even find one that enables you to start a family a life. But you have increasing costs, cost of living rises, inflation, you are finding yourself squeezed. Yet the company you work for is taking in profits and paying dividends and you have no pay rise, you are worse off. All the while the company bosses a creaming it at the top. In many cases, the employers are squeezing more hours and reduced terms on the employees. Striking is a very very blunt tool, but it is practically the only one at the disposal of a workforce.

Edited to add, regarding hard work, that hard work and loyal work should be rewarded, especially when because of hard work by employees, a company can make billions.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here