Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An hour until I (and others) find out their fate...

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Hey guys. Well, it's official, I'm gonna be jobless at the end of August. The caretaker role will no longer exist, but a head cleaner role will be put in place. That will be on a different pay scale and only 22.5 hours as opposed to the 37 I'm currently doing.
2016, the year I lost my job AND house. Wow.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hey guys. Well, it's official, I'm gonna be jobless at the end of August. The caretaker role will no longer exist, but a head cleaner role will be put in place. That will be on a different pay scale and only 22.5 hours as opposed to the 37 I'm currently doing.

Bad times - so sorry.

Are you able to go for that role, or was it indicated that perhaps you should? If so, you have the benefit of some time to try and find additional work to fill the income loss you are going to be hit with.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Bad times - so sorry.

Are you able to go for that role, or was it indicated that perhaps you should? If so, you have the benefit of some time to try and find additional work to fill the income loss you are going to be hit with.

I think that will probably be the plan Bozza. Hopefully I can make it work.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

So sorry for you. Good luck in your Plan B, and I hope the future treats you well.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Very sorry to hear that news.

As Bozza and you say, it might be possible to fill the income gap with another p/t job at a pay rate that doesn't mean you have to work ridiculous hours in order to maintain your income?

I hope that all works out well for you and yours over the coming few months... very best of luck.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
*******s. And the kids lose out on all the additional stuff you did for them too. Lose lose for everyone. I know how important having a good caretaker at my son's school is and to downgrade the position is just plain wrong.

This encapsulates the country's race to the bottom at the moment. It's completely disgraceful and totally indefensible. We're sleepwalking into the total destruction of all the important things that make this country a great place to live.

Feel very bad for you mate. Hope you get something else sorted soon and good luck with the house situation too.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

So sorry to hear that. I hope you manage to find something else, or get the new gig and are able to top it up with extra hours.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Very tough times as school budgets are stripped to the bone. Unfortunately I fear many TA's and other roles around schools are going to face a similar fate. Best of luck. Hopefully the old adage of one door closes another opens will be something that provides a much more positive 2nd half of the year.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
When you hit the bottom,the only way is up.Good Luck.I hope there is plenty of help and support for you out there.NSC will be there for answers and support,if you need it,I'm sure.Don't be afraid to ask.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
However down you may feel at the moment, sometimes new openings and opportunities arise out of adversity. I'm a firm believer in that often good things can come out of a bad situation - a new beginning if you like. Fingers crossed you are able to fill the new role or find something better for the future. Best wishes.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Sorry to hear your news. You have probably considered all the stuff below but just in case:

Have you been formally consulted on the proposal to delete your post? If not you should be and notice of redundancy is often not issued until this process is completed.

Cleaning and care taking are very different. You are only redundant if the work you undertake is ending. Who will be undertaking the maintenance aspects of your role? What is happening to that work? If the Head Cleaner role is picking it up why is the grade lower?

Check your pay protection policy - will it apply if you take the lower graded post? It would potentially protect your rate of pay but not your drop in hours.

Check what other posts are available in any redeployment pool - actively pursue job matches - your employer has to seek to mitigate the potential for compulsory redundancy by finding a suitable alternative post for you if one exists. Since you are 'at risk' you should be able to access these opportunities before other applicants.

The lower graded part time post is not a suitable alternative to redundancy (you can't be forced into it). Might you be better off taking redundancy? Has voluntary severance (VS) been offered (with an increased payment) to avoid making compulsory redundancies? If it hasn't ask why not. If you took VS you normally cannot work for the same employer again for 2 years.

If you decide to take the lower graded part time post see if you can continue to pursue other posts as a redeployee that would be more suitable.

Consult your union / join one

Good luck.

Edit: if you take redundancy explore what ability you have to formally request an additional discretionary payment re: 5 kids, house situation etc.

twiggles

Feb 14, 2014
Sucks to hear mate. Will give you a follow on twitch when im back at my home pc! What games do you play out of interest?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Really sorry to hear this

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

Really sorry to hear mate.

We had similar at the beginning of last year, given notice on our flat and I was told my job was changing to something completely different to what I signed up for. Ended up moving in with my in laws, wife and son. It wasn't ideal. Then from no where I got a call about a job, less than 2 weeks later I had a start date and it's been amazing since, Been in the role for 6 months now and genuinely never loved a place of work like this. 4 weeks ago my little family finally got our own place as well.

It will get better, without the shit times we can't really appreciate the good. Something will come up. The wealth of knowledge on NSC will help find somewhere if you let people know what you are after.

I remember a cracking job I saw which was a footballing role based in the fire service. It was all about educating children about fire safety whilst running football courses. With the extra stuff you have been doing (and seemingly enjoying) you could look out for roles like that as well as caretaking roles

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Sad times all the best for what you do in the future.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think that will probably be the plan Bozza. Hopefully I can make it work.

Hold on. How long have you worked there ? If it's a while redundancy may be a better option.

Oh, and make sure you claim very benefit you are entitled to. You have worked and deserve it.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Get some advice from ACAS first. If you take the lesser role you may lose some rights to redundancy pay. Phone ACAS, they are very helpful.

Good advice.

If you voluntarily accept the lesser role as an alternative to redundancy you will no longer be considered to be at risk of redundancy. In most cases once you take the lesser role you cannot later decide you would rather have had the redundancy that applied to your prior role. The only way round this is if you managed to agree a trial period in the new role to see if it would work out but your employer is unlikely to allow this. If you are subsequently made redundant from the lesser role it will based on the hours and pay in that role and not your preceding role (albeit you will have preserved your continuity of service).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here