Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An Apology to Gus Poyet

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
to be fair, I'm just guessing there was some sort of arrangement. Nobody seems to know why he was sacked. We only have heresy and press speculation.

I think you mean hearsay. There wasn't any arrangement or compensation. That was the whole point of the sacking for gross misconduct, & why Gus appealed it.
As for the whole Reading thing. There is one thing that perhaps someone can explain to me with regard to this whole "disloyal" bit.

As far as I see, managers up and down the country, across the World in fact, when faced with a potential suitor who cannot agree a deal with the current employer, just quit! They then mysteriously appear as the new appointment at the other club.

Maybe my memory has failed me, but I'm sure Gus did NOT do this. He flagged up the interest from Reading, and announced his desire to move on, but when we didn't permit this, he, erm, stayed! It seems that many "disloyal" managers quit and just turn up at the other club.

I really struggle with the link between the Reading interest and the disloyal tag. Are we just burying our head in the sand and believing the Brighton job is the best in the World and why would anyone ever want to leave unless they are simply greedy mercenaries. Maybe he just wanted to control over the signings that he used to have with us, or didn't think top half of The Championship was the ceiling for Reading. Which, erm, it isn't.

There was no disloyalty, as Reading approached Brighton, who gave Poyet permission to talk to them. Poyet & Tanno turned them down which is what Tanno said in the prematch press conference.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Ha ha, what an absolutely shite thread.

Poyet is a wanker, we are well rid of him.

Sami is clueless, we will be well rid of him soon.

Then we will climb the table.

Anyone backing Poyet now needs to go and soak their head in something.

So basically you slate a previous manager for leaving the club and immediately wish for the sacking of the current manager. Do you not see a slight contradiction there?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Sir Alex was a successful cock, Poyet was an arrogant but successful cock, hyypia is a hopeless failed manager nice guy.

You've forgotten Mourhino and Clough...

Sometimes it takes personality and ego to be successful.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Gus 1 Brighton 0.

What a team we could have made together. Sadly, he's now - quite rightly - plying his trade in the best league in the world, and we're propping up the table in the Championship. If only we had listened to him. He wanted more investment in the team, we refused. Now look at us, and look at him.

We were ****ing brilliant,

Agree with you a lot, apart from the fact that he is not managing in Spain.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
"Gus threw the playoff semi" is turning into one of those bullshit NSC folklore stories. It has 0% grounding in truth.

Palace (truthfully, a little luckily over the 2 legs) beat us fair and square. Deal with it.

I said this the other day, but playoffs rarely are won by the in form team. We should never have beaten Swindon or Bristol City. QPR were poor leading up to last year, whereas Derby were the best team.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Gus 1 Brighton 0.

What a team we could have made together. Sadly, he's now - quite rightly - plying his trade in the best league in the world, and we're propping up the table in the Championship. If only we had listened to him. He wanted more investment in the team, we refused. Now look at us, and look at him.

We were ****ing brilliant,

That makes me feel a bit wistful. What a day that was at Posh when we played the most sublime 90 minutes of football I have ever witnessed following the Albion.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
That makes me feel a bit wistful. What a day that was at Posh when we played the most sublime 90 minutes of football I have ever witnessed following the Albion.

We were outstanding in that match. I remember having the mother of all hangovers that day - it was the perfect cure.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Just two weeks after having done exactly the same thing to Charlton. We absolutely SPANKED two half-decent fancied league one sides in successive away games, turning in arguably the two finest away performances we had seen in probably 2 decades.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Just two weeks after having done exactly the same thing to Charlton. We absolutely SPANKED two half-decent fancied league one sides in successive away games, turning in arguably the two finest away performances we had seen in probably 2 decades.

To think that the club was once standing on the edge of a cliff. Since then we've certainly taken a big step forward. :dunce:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I enjoyed the Charlton game, & was gutted not to be able to go to London Road, due to family commitments. My favourite month was March when we won 8out of 8 games, including singing' Are you keeping up' to Nigel Adkins at Dagenham.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

I wish I had gone to Charlton. No end of season pressures - just enjoying the football.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
"Gus threw the playoff semi" is turning into one of those bullshit NSC folklore stories. It has 0% grounding in truth.

Palace (truthfully, a little luckily over the 2 legs) beat us fair and square. Deal with it.

It was two years ago, I've been over it for a while. I also don't think he threw it per se, it's just that for me his selection, decision making and attitude was something I questioned before they took us apart, not in hindsight.

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
They need to take that picture of Orlandi off the side of busses,not good watching this crap then seeing that on the way home

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I think you mean hearsay. There wasn't any arrangement or compensation. That was the whole point of the sacking for gross misconduct, & why Gus appealed it.

There was no disloyalty, as Reading approached Brighton, who gave Poyet permission to talk to them. Poyet & Tanno turned them down which is what Tanno said in the prematch press conference.
If you sack someone and they appeal but it does not go to court then usually there is agreed compensation agreed between the parties which nobody else might know about.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

How on earth would he or any of the players gain by throwing the game anyway!!!!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you sack someone and they appeal but it does not go to court then usually there is agreed compensation agreed between the parties which nobody else might know about.

The appeal was to the other members of the board, who upheld the decision.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Not really, it means that someone chose to not pursue it. A compensation agreement to the charge of gross misconduct would be like admitting there was no gross misconduct.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here