Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An Apology to Gus Poyet

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There was a vacancy but Fulham changed chairman and kept the manager they had for a little longer. If you check back he was on his way out but decided to give him longer. I can only guess to why they did that.

Oatway was suspended for different reasons to Poyet and tanno, something I can't type as would get thread removed.
Whatever it was, was settled as he left by mutual agreement in the end, so it can't have been too bad. The only one sacked was Poyet.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Funny the thoughts at the time "no man is bigger than the club" etc etc. Now we've got a situation where the club has turned into a strange black hole of indecision and lack of accountability.

I personally think Gus would have taken us to the Premier League. It would have cost exactly what it should cost - A LOT. Instead, we're now facing financing a lot more time in the Championship losing untold amounts of money each season. Maybe it would have been better to let guys spend all the money he wanted to?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
You are all remembering what a great shag your ex was, while perhaps forgetting how much she would look at other guys and how often she disrespected you.

Would I go back?

For the sex, yes.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I am firmly of the opinion that Gus would be Sunderland manager now, even if we hadn't sacked him.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Which one?

Don't forget it took us 5 weeks to get to a point where we had decided, sorry, fully investigated, what the Gross Misconduct actually was. Also, it involved a 4 or 5 week suspension for Charlie and Tanno. Tanno was conveniently cleared the day before we needed him to take pre-season training, while Charlie lost his testimonial, and AITC duly lost 50% of the proceeds that he'd said he would donate to them.

I'm genuinely intrigued, what reason is your money on?

Disgusting, wasn't it? I too was amazed at the vitriol directed at Gus at the time. Now look where we are. An utter shambles.

And for those who talk about overspending, I remember the club gleefully stating how Oscar's budget was actually a bit higher than the previous season's. And I doubt those four million loan players are cheap now.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
As for the whole Reading thing. There is one thing that perhaps someone can explain to me with regard to this whole "disloyal" bit.

As far as I see, managers up and down the country, across the World in fact, when faced with a potential suitor who cannot agree a deal with the current employer, just quit! They then mysteriously appear as the new appointment at the other club.

Maybe my memory has failed me, but I'm sure Gus did NOT do this. He flagged up the interest from Reading, and announced his desire to move on, but when we didn't permit this, he, erm, stayed! It seems that many "disloyal" managers quit and just turn up at the other club.

I really struggle with the link between the Reading interest and the disloyal tag. Are we just burying our head in the sand and believing the Brighton job is the best in the World and why would anyone ever want to leave unless they are simply greedy mercenaries. Maybe he just wanted to control over the signings that he used to have with us, or didn't think top half of The Championship was the ceiling for Reading. Which, erm, it isn't.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Disgusting, wasn't it? I too was amazed at the vitriol directed at Gus at the time. Now look where we are. An utter shambles.

And for those who talk about overspending, I remember the club gleefully stating how Oscar's budget was actually a bit higher than the previous season's. And I doubt those four million loan players are cheap now.

And the recent press statements from TB included him telling us the current squad is the most expensive ever assembled in the history of the club. That does suggest Gus brought in far better quality at bargain prices.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Gus 1 Brighton 0.

What a team we could have made together. Sadly, he's now - quite rightly - plying his trade in the best league in the world, and we're propping up the table in the Championship. If only we had listened to him. He wanted more investment in the team, we refused. Now look at us, and look at him.

We were ****ing brilliant,

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Ha ha, what an absolutely shite thread.

Poyet is a wanker, we are well rid of him.

Sami is clueless, we will be well rid of him soon.

Then we will climb the table.

Anyone backing Poyet now needs to go and soak their head in something.

He is doing pretty well for my club so happy to back him

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Did we really pay him compensation ? Unbeleivable if true.

I thought that when he signed at Sunderland, part of the contract and agreement with Ellis Short was that both sides dropped and that the settlement was that there was no money exchanged but it also kept it out of the courts - which I understand was mainly to ensure Gus could focus on his new job and the fact that the money he may have lost out on was included in his new contract.

As others have said in reality it probably was never going to be long till he moved to the PL and I do not understand why people say its a bad thing that he is using Sunderland as a stepping stone - the only way he will make it to the top is by proving himself and if he can do well with Sunderland I will be more than happy - last season with the final cannot be a bad thing for his CV and as a fan was an quality day out

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
He's won less games than Sami this season but you're entitled to your opinion.

Poyet was a loudmouthed, self publicising egotistical prick. But he had a great eye for players, played the right way, the players played for him and he had us playing better than we've ever done.

Was quite happy to put up with his self serving bollocks as the performance and results were there.

That's what I don't understand with those that don't want a manager as they can't stand the personality, like billy Davies for instance. Should it matter what they're like personally if they know how to win, the players play for them, if they can get good new players to sign and move the club forward.

Sir Alex was a successful cock, Poyet was an arrogant but successful cock, hyypia is a hopeless failed manager nice guy.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
To think there were morons wanting Gus out during that season - total fantasists who couldn't take losing...

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The team he picked for the second leg vs. Palace was almost a resignation in itself!

"Gus threw the playoff semi" is turning into one of those bullshit NSC folklore stories. It has 0% grounding in truth.

Palace (truthfully, a little luckily over the 2 legs) beat us fair and square. Deal with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here