Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex travel voucher

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Normally I'll quite happily stick up for the club and they deal with most things, but this just seems ridiculous. It appears to be inconvenient and convenient both for supporters and transport staff. Gold card for me or I'll just pay the bus fare and be damned, can I really be arsed to figure all this out.

As the scheme has been described so far ... you'd have to use two vouchers.

What scheme? All we have thus far is some limited info being trickled down piecemeal through various sources (eg Albion Roar, fans' questions at ST presentations.....) but nothing comprehensive from the club. As you well know, it is a condition of the planning consent that BHCC has to approve the Club's Travel Management Scheme before the stadium can open but, as yet, there is no evidence that it has been submitted (ie nothing is not listed under 2008/02732 on the council's website relating to the discharge of this condition).
From a personal viewpoint, if these proposals are correct then I think they discourage the use of public transport and will encourage people to drive and park in Coldean etc.

The other issue that bubbles around all this is whether the travel voucher scheme itself will encourage more people to muse public transport, or whether its complications (from the point of view of some potential users - not all) will put them off using public transport, rather than their cars.

That's an issue for the City Council's planners. Some folk may say it's not that important - but, remember, the Club might want to expand the stadium at some stage in the future. A track record of successfully managing an effective Travel Plan will make that more achievable. An unsuccessful Travel Plan will make it much more difficult.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Far too complicated, the off peak return from Brighton to Falmer is £3.10 so for the sake of 10p everyone will be queuing up at Brighton to buy a ticket when they could just waltz through the gate flashing their ticket as they do now to Preston Park.
Hopefully Southern will do a match day return of £3 to get round this.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think ADOO has hit the nail on the head - we haven't got the whole picture.

First, we were told it's £1 per match travel voucher
Next, it's a £2 off voucher
Then, we don't know what the travel operators will do.

Best to wait for the planning application, I suppose.

Far too complicated, the off peak return from Brighton to Falmer is £3.10 so for the sake of 10p everyone will be queuing up at Brighton to buy a ticket when they could just waltz through the gate flashing their ticket as they do now to Preston Park.
Hopefully Southern will do a match day return of £3 to get round this.
If they have to sell train tickets from Worthing, Shoreham, Aldrington and Hove (which will be outside any £3 match day return "zone"), surely they'll still want to ensure that Brighton passengers actually have a railway ticket? And London Road and Moulsecoomb passengers as well.

The minute you allow people just to flash an Albion voucher as they leave Falmer station, you have instigated a ticketing system which encourages fares evasion.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Tim, Clapham Gull was trying to gauge at the last Seagulls over London meeting whether there will be demand for a coach from Haywards Heath to Falmer to meet people off the train and then take them back afterwards, to avoid the hassle of travelling via Brighton, especially on weekdays. If you are interested, drop him a PM.

:thumbsup:

Like the idea of that, thanks fella. PM sent. Only problem, I suppose, is that's it's restrictive as to what time you want to arrive / depart Falmer. TBH, I think most people will just fair dodge the last bit...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Has anybody bothered to ponder the fate of the 1901 Clubbers over this issue? Will they have to share public transport with non-clubbers? Will they get priority seats and a complimentary plastic tumbler of Orangina at the bus stop?

... or a clear, full statement from the Club.

The problem is that the Club are drip-feeding snippets of information in response to individual questions at presentations or from Roar interviewers. That is no way to launch a product.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
If they have to sell train tickets from Worthing, Shoreham, Aldrington and Hove (which will be outside any £3 match day return "zone"), surely they'll still want to ensure that Brighton passengers actually have a railway ticket? And London Road and Moulsecoomb passengers as well.

The minute you allow people just to flash an Albion voucher as they leave Falmer station, you have instigated a ticketing system which encourages fares evasion.

It's all far too complicated, worked perfectly well for the last 10 years so why f*** about now ?

It's all far too complicated, worked perfectly well for the last 10 years so why f*** about now ?
As I said earlier ... to overcome a VAT issue.

Admittedly it's a VAT issue that has been around for 10 years. Presumably we've all been contributing more than we had to. But at least the government has been using the windfall revenue wisely.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
If its 25 pounds for 2 pounds off, my fare is only 11.35 using a railcard assuming I get in to Uni at Bournemouth to go to Aldrington. I can't imagine it being more than 15 pounds to extend that to Falmer.

If however, the Bournemouth-Shoreham fare + Shoreham-Falmer fare+2 pounds off is worth while doing I might do it. It does seem such an effort though.

The other issue that bubbles around all this is whether the travel voucher scheme itself will encourage more people to muse public transport, .

My lord.

we are now allowed to MUSE about public transport. Presumably this is an advance on WONDERING

My understanding is that the Council advised the club last autumn that they wanted 6 months to review and approve the Travel Management Scheme - takes us conveniently into early August.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Has anybody bothered to ponder the fate of the 1901 Clubbers over this issue? Will they have to share public transport with non-clubbers? Will they get priority seats and a complimentary plastic tumbler of Orangina at the bus stop?

Don't they get the opportunity to buy one of the very limited number of parking spaces that are available?

At the bus stops, 1901 members will be diverted to their own queue by an uniformed club commissionaire so not to mingle with the riff-raff ruffians

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
So it's a discount voucher as opposed to a travelcard...which is what the current voucher effectively is.

With it being a voucher, this kind of locks you to using the mode of transport that you used to get to the ground, to leave. For instance if you got the train to the ground, but found they were too busy afterwards so decided you to get a bus instead you'd have to pay again (and possibly use another voucher). This probably won't be a problem once people have sussed out the transport situation but could be annoying at first while people are still finding their feet.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
After reading this thread I sent an email to Ken Brown

Hi Ken,

I attended a presentation this morning but forgot to ask regarding the travel voucher for the Amex.

I am aware that you can buy 25 tickets for £25 and that the current zone area will be retained.

My question is, will the voucher be utilised in exactly the same way at present. One inbound,One outbound with nothing extra to pay unless your leave the travel zone?, or will further money have to be spent within the zone depending on your mode of travel, ie, it will be a discount voucher?

I hope that made sense!

His response....

Hi Alan
Hope you enjoyed the presentation?
The vouchers will operate exactly as they currently do
Best wishes

Sent from my iPhone
Ken Brown
07xxx xxx xxx

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here