Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex travel voucher

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
We went for our presentation this morning and asked lots of questions about the travel voucher.
It is £25 for 25 vouchers. Obviously this works out at £1 per voucher and they are valid within the previously set out region, but what we found out today is that the voucher is actually a discount voucher worth £3.
So if your return ticket to Falmer station is £5, then you will pay £2 + your voucher. Our return ticket from Newhaven is £3.10 so we will have to pay 10p on top. The day saver on the bus is £3.70 so you pay 70p.

I didn't ask about the Park & Ride as we won't be using that but I hope this info helps.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Surprised if this is 100% true as it makes them almost pointless. You won't even be able to get the bus from Brighton using the voucher?

What if, as is the case with me, you will frequently want to get the bus to the stadium but walk back. Would you then have to buy a single ticket using the voucher? It takes away all the flexibilty.

Last edited:

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Surprised if this is 100% true as it makes them almost pointless. You won't even be able to get the bus from Brighton using the voucher?

I made a point of checking it out and asking questions. I'm not sure why you won't be able to get the bus from Brighton? You have your voucher and pay 70p. So you have a ticket worth £3.70 and you've only paid £1.70 (inc the cost of the voucher)

Presumably this means that folk travelling by train from Haywards Heath to Falmer and back will pay the following:-

Off Peak Day Return £5.40 - £2.40 to pay with an Albion voucher (net cost after paying for the voucher - £3.40)
Off-Peak Day Return (with Railcard) £3.55 - £0.55 to pay with an Albion voucher (net cost after paying for the voucher - £1.55)
Child Off Peak Day Return £2.70 - free with an Albion voucher (net cost after paying for the voucher - £1.00)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
We went for our presentation this morning and asked lots of questions about the travel voucher.
It is £25 for 25 vouchers. Obviously this works out at £1 per voucher and they are valid within the previously set out region, but what we found out today is that the voucher is actually a discount voucher worth £3.
So if your return ticket to Falmer station is £5, then you will pay £2 + your voucher. Our return ticket from Newhaven is £3.10 so we will have to pay 10p on top. The day saver on the bus is £3.70 so you pay 70p.

I didn't ask about the Park & Ride as we won't be using that but I hope this info helps.

Blimey, that's a bit different from what we were told (i.e. evidently only half the story).

It's basically a £2.00 discount voucher.

Thanks for the clarification.

Any Idea's about Eastbourne. Or wouldn't that count?

Current Adult rail fares (off-peak day return) are these:-

Eastbourne - Falmer: £8.10
Eastbourne - Lewes: £6.05
Lewes - Falmer: £3.30

The Albion voucher is only valid between Lewes and Falmer.

Best deal would therefore be to buy a voucher for £1, pay £6.05 for the Eastbourne - Lewes journey, then pay the required 30p for the Lewes - Falmer bit. Total cost £7.35.

One question arises, though - where can you pay the 30p for the last leg of the journey? Presumably not at Eastbourne - so it would have to be off the conductor on the train. Ernest's colleagues will love that.

Or will there be a queue at Falmer station to pay the excess fare when you got there?

The same principles apply to anyone travelling on from Eastbourne / Hastings line trains, whichever station they join the train from. It's different on the Seaford / Newhaven line, because those passengers have the benefit of the Albion voucher being valid before they get to Lewes.

I Am The Great Cornholio

I want TP for my Bunghole
Feb 4, 2011
Piccata?
Current Adult rail fares (off-peak day return) are these:-

Eastbourne - Falmer: £8.10
Eastbourne - Lewes: £6.05
Lewes - Falmer: £3.30

The Albion voucher is only valid between Lewes and Falmer.

Best deal would therefore be to buy a voucher for £1, pay £6.05 for the Eastbourne - Lewes journey, then pay the required 30p for the Lewes - Falmer bit. Total cost £7.35.

One question arises, though - where can you pay the 30p for the last leg of the journey? Presumably not at Eastbourne - so it would have to be off the conductor on the train. Ernest's colleagues will love that.

Cheers for that. Yea. Conductor I think too. ><

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If true wouldn't it make more sense to give them out free and value them at £2 rather than charging a £1 and making the value £3? Seems a bit of 'robbing Peter to pay Paul'.

Hmm. Not sure if I like this. It still means I've got to pay £2 to spend five minutes on a bus on top of my match ticket. Better start looking for car parking spaces in walking distance ...

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
So, when you're travelling from London, Manchester or somewhere further afield, how's that going to help? Will the discount vouchers be accepted at stations outside of Haywards Heath etc? The current system is perfect.. just buy a ticket from wherever to HH, job done.

If you have a Network Railcard, can you use that at the same time?
Only on Saturdays.

On Mondays to Fridays, there's a restriction. To get the Network Railcard discount, the discounted adult fare payable must be at least £13 on all journeys, Monday to Friday. The minimum fare does not apply at weekends or on Public Holidays.

Anyone get the feeling that this is too complicated?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sounds a bit poo doesn't it.

I'd assumed that for £25, you got 25 travel vouchers as per the ones we use now, whereby you simply present that to the bus/train driver on matchdays within the disount travel zone, and thats the end of that. All this discounted / pay the difference bollocks sounds very convoluted and is going to lead to a LOT of confusion on both sides methinks.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home

I'd assumed that for £25, you got 25 travel vouchers as per the ones we use now, whereby you simply present that to the bus/train driver on matchdays within the disount travel zone, and thats the end of that.

That's exactly what I thought and why I asked about it. I was confused at first and asked again to make sure I'd got it right.

The Park & Ride question still needs an answer. If you turn up at the P&R site without a voucher (as most away fans and some home fans will), what is the mechanism for paying for the journey? Will vouchers be on sale at the P&R site? Or will people have to pay the full fare for the P&R bus journey? If so, who will they pay? The driver? Or an Albion representative?

I'm sorry to be asking awkward questions. Having spent 30 years being paid good money to come up with answers to these sort of questions, it's a habit I can't get out of.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I'd assumed that for £25, you got 25 travel vouchers as per the ones we use now, whereby you simply present that to the bus/train driver on matchdays within the disount travel zone, and thats the end of that. All this discounted / pay the difference bollocks sounds very convoluted and is going to lead to a LOT of confusion on both sides methinks.
Especially when they made all that fuss about 'Sustainable Transport' during the Planning stage; it seems to me they're backtracking on that now as they're making public transport expensive and complicated.

Do you think they've worked out that the trains/buses won't be able to cope and this is their way of reducing the demand?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Only on Saturdays.

On Mondays to Fridays, there's a restriction. To get the Network Railcard discount, the discounted adult fare payable must be at least £13 on all journeys, Monday to Friday. The minimum fare does not apply at weekends or on Public Holidays.

Anyone get the feeling that this is too complicated?

That bit I know.

I meant AS WELL AS the travel voucher.

London Road - Falmer (Off Peak Return) - £3.10
Less 1/3 Network Railcard - £1.03
Ticket - £1.97; let's round it up to £2.00
Minus your voucher -£2.00, which comes to £0.00, which you've paid £1.00 for

OR

London Road - Falmer (Off Peak Return) - £3.10
Minus your voucher - £2.00
Comes to - £1.10
Minus 1/3 Network Railcard - £0.37, comes to - £0.73, plus the £1.00 you've paid for your voucher = £1.73

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here