Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex to host Rugby World Cup Games? (merged threads)

Dec 29, 2011
You what? This is the Rugby UNION World Cup.

Union is probably FAR more popular in Sussex than it is in either Bradford or Hull!

Really? Rugby is rugby to me. It's all shit. To my untrained eye it just looks like men grabbing each others balls for 80 minutes, although I do like how they stop the clock and don't have injury time.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I'd be over the moon! And if Swansea and Reading - two teams that play similar styles of football to us - manage week in week out, I can't see any reason why one or two matches will damage the pitch too much. Bring it, I say!!

Anything that generates more money for Tony to get back as much of his £100million as possible is fine by me.

It's the least he deserves.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Really? Rugby is rugby to me. It's all shit. To my untrained eye it just looks like men grabbing each others balls for 80 minutes, although I do like how they stop the clock and don't have injury time.

How that hasn't been introduced in football matches where a 4th official is in place is bizarre. I also like the way the game doesn't stop for most injuries and the trainers just run on the pitch, that would surely stop most of the 'feigners' once they realise the game wouldn't be stopped.

Not forgetting you would also be able to take your pint to your seat, bliss!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
People saying "It will ruin the pitch" or "I've seen other clubs pitches where they share it with rugby", You do realise this is not for the WHOLE season, right?

So what if our grass is SLIGHTLY less than phenomenal for one or two matches. Its the bloody RUGBY WORLD CUP being held at a stadium we campaigned for for over a decade. What a brilliant moment to have our beautiful ground beamed around the world.

This

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Its not like they'll play the whole tournament at the Amex is it? One or two games won't have a massive impact on the pitch provided it has a period to recover and in 2015, who says we'll still be playing football the same way anyway?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Not forgetting you would also be able to take your pint to your seat, bliss!

No you wouldn't, we are designated as a football stadium, irregardless of which sport is being played......... unless the rules have changed

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No you wouldn't, we are designated as a football stadium, irregardless of which sport is being played......... unless the rules have changed

I've been to 2 Rugby Union matches at Old Trafford; you could take your pint to your seat at both.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Nope it's only football you can't drink in your seat, rugby in a football stadium doesn't have the same rule.
Oh world class rugby at the Amex.........f*** yeah ! I so hope we get it.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

You can drink quite happily in the stands at Bristol Rovers watching rugby on a Friday night, but cannot get a sniff the following day for footy.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Reading on line it seems cities have been asked to submit interest for the use of there stadia, but i can`t see the Amex having a large enough crowd capacity,could be wrong though

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Not forgetting you would also be able to take your pint to your seat, bliss![/QUOTE]

Confirmed. Went to watch Ospreys v Munster last season at the Liberty Stadium, no problem with taking your pint to your seat there.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Won't happen, as it will clash with either freshers week, or the open weekend at the Universities.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here