Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex or Goldstone?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So you would compare our position now with 1991 or late 70's?

1991 Crept into playoff position in Jan,manager Barry Lloyd,Greg Stanley prowling the corridors and three out of the previous four season struggling also fans discontentment with the board! A decent team but not the greatest And the Goldstone ground that was crumbling around us.

or

1977/78 A team that had been performing the three years previous,manager mullery,chairman Mike Bamber Old style goldstone but pretty much intact! And a team that was entertaining and exciting to watch.

Which would you compare to this season?

Fair enough point, but if you're going to cherry pick the very best 4 or 5 years the Goldstone had to offer at this level, then let's also compare the four years in the top flight at the Goldstone compared to the Amex if we do make it in the coming years. I'm looking forward to all those 9-10,000 Premier League crowds that we would undoubtedly get in the coming years.

Jan 30, 2008
Fair enough point, but if you're going to cherry pick the very best 4 or 5 years the Goldstone had to offer at this level, then let's also compare the four years in the top flight at the Goldstone compared to the Amex if we do make it in the coming years. I'm looking forward to all those 9-10,000 Premier League crowds that we would undoubtedly get in the coming years.
YOU'RE GETTING CARRIED AWAY , all the glory boys are out in force these day , Great to see the club doing well but as you know it's swings and roundabouts in this game LETS KEEP IT REAL :lolol:
regards
DR

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
YOU'RE GETTING CARRIED AWAY , all the glory boys are out in force these day , Great to see the club doing well but as you know it's swings and roundabouts in this game LETS KEEP IT REAL :lolol:
regards
DR
You're going to have to break the habit of a lifetime and explain what you mean. What do you mean when you say I'm getting carried away? How, exactly?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The Goldstone was a way of life for over 20 years for me and i won't forget the good or bad times , The Amex is a place i go to watch my team play football , i still have to pinch myself it's Brighton & Hove Albions home ground sometimes it's just a stunning stadium , thing is PPF is correct , the place has been sanitised to the point where you have to be constantly aware of your behaviour in case a orange or yellow jacket appears and asks you to stop whatever it is was perceived to be a crime against humanity , there's not much point in the owner asking for more atmosphere if his employee's then start lobbing people out for trying to create the atmosphere , i'm too old to be bouncing around on the terraces now and stats suggest the all seater stadium has been a overwhelming success ,i love the stadium but long for the good old days atmosphere wise , can't have it all , can we ? .

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

I may be guessing here but I think PPF is just making a point about the feeling of impending PL doom, the expectation of failure, underperforming against the big guns, low crowds at the Amex etc. That mindset is understandable considering the last time we were in the top flight you could make a call in red phone box for 2p which is beyond living memory of a lot of our fans. To even believe for one minute that we could maintain PL status is hard, very hard, but as a 40 year faithful fan I believe that for the first time in our history we are becoming what we always dreamed we can be, so does the team and so does CH. #KeepTheFaith. :albion2:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Great location, wrong shaped plot for development.

Controversial I know but in hindsight Archer had no choice but to force the issue and make an attempt for Waterhall. We were £6m in debt and it would have cost a good several million to have got the Goldstone up to league standard, but would have been better to have spent the money on a new location and build from scratch. Maybe if us fans had got behind him instead of making him the villain we could have got Waterhall. The council were never going to play ball with a Chairman who had no backing and who was physically attacked.

I see it differently today.

Controversial I know but in hindsight Archer had no choice but to force the issue and make an attempt for Waterhall. We were £6m in debt and it would have cost a good several million to have got the Goldstone up to league standard, but would have been better to have spent the money on a new location and build from scratch. Maybe if us fans had got behind him instead of making him the villain we could have got Waterhall. The council were never going to play ball with a Chairman who had no backing and who was physically attacked.

Waterhall was a no go because of the fog! Could get games postponed you know???

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
T'was indeed an epic day. Helps when you literally own the crowd. 7000 Albion in unison Vs random 'clackers' was no match! We all stayed as well to cheer the boys into the tunnel. I also enjoyed the bloke behind me who kept screaming 'you f***ing northern b***ards" all through the game. We pointed out to him we were in Fulham to which he replied, 'yeah but north of the river'. Priceless.

:albion2:

:laugh:

You mean the 24k 18k 18k 14k averages 19TH 16TH 13TH AND 22ND League placings. Crowds will be ok in the premiere league because people will buy tickets to watch premiere football. Can you imagine hull at home in feb,would 24k turn up even in the prem?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You mean the 24k 18k 18k 14k averages 19TH 16TH 13TH AND 22ND League placings. Crowds will be ok in the premiere league because people will buy tickets to watch premiere football. Can you imagine hull at home in feb,would 24k turn up even in the prem?
Three of those averages are MILES below our current gates - 18k is Reading esque these days. And yes, we'd easily sell 24k tickets for Hull because we will have over 20,000 sths, as is now the norm here.

or TB could have covered our 1 million loss each year for the next 200 years! He could have popped his £200 million in the nationwide 3% interest=6 million a year so tb makes 5 million each year and we are still at the goldstone! Simples!

Jan 30, 2008
Three of those averages are MILES below our current gates - 18k is Reading esque these days. And yes, we'd easily sell 24k tickets for Hull because we will have over 20,000 sths, as is now the norm here.
ha ha here we go , how many WOULD give it a swerve because it's not a BIG game . another pretend attendance looms:facepalm:
regards
DR

If we sold 24000 tickets for Hull at home, 18000 at the very least would turn up. At the least.

And that would be our lowest of the season, not our average - and would be a comfortable 4000 more than 1983's *average*.

Wasn't there a cardiff game where around 25% of the s/t holders went missing??? 1983 averages were after 3 seasons of poor performances and results! So the extra fantastic plastics are all going to turn up for hull city:blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here