Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex IS a Rugby World Cup 2015 venue!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Seems a bit of a feeble argument when you consider there are clubs all over the place who share or have shared their grounds with rugby clubs: Reading, Hull, Wigan, Wycombe, Watford - plus Old Trafford gets used for 2 or 3 rugby league matches over the course of a season.

I'm fairly confident the Albion groundstaff can cope with 2 or 3 rugby matches in a single month of a 9 month season.

I accept your point and sort of sit on the fence on whether it's a good thing for us or not.

This from the Guardian:

"With competitive scrums and rucks potentially tearing up turf to a greater extent than in league, a decision was made by the Old Trafford board and groundstaff to withdraw. Another factor was that the club are installing a new pitch at the end of the season that combines grass with artificial fibres in contrast to their grass-only surface"

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Come on people! It's a great thing for the club to host the Rugby. I'm not a fan but I'll go along and it will bring the ground to an international audience which can only be a good thing.

I understand the concerns about the pitch but we have exceptional groundstaff and this is our chance to prove that the stadium can put on large-scale events. Add this to the U-21's and hopefully we'll get international football there someday too.

Indeed. All very good points.

I can't bloody wait.

It's probably going to be two games or so. It's not exactly going to DESTROY our pitch is it? People say "Look what Vicarage Road used to be like when Watford shared it with Rugby". Yeah, but that was for WHOLE seasons and without a phenomenal groundkeeping staff like we now have.

No need to worry. Embrace!!!

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
The last thing we need is a load of Hove Born & Breds, with their sensible haircuts and replica rugby shirts tucked into Marks & Spencer jeans sullying the Amex and forever tainting it for the sartorial, cutting edge working class BHA fan who feels that rugby is only a tad more tedious than the long version of cricket.

I'm a season ticket holder at Harlequins. From Brighton, working class, and shop at BHS.....

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Nope - i'm with you. Egg chasing can do one as far as I'm concerned. I really don't want a load of hairy burly meat heads lobbing an egg in the amex and ruining or wonderful turf.

:lolol: Even though Reading, Swansea City and Cardiff City have been sharing their grounds with no such problems....

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I accept your point and sort of sit on the fence on whether it's a good thing for us or not.

This from the Guardian:

"With competitive scrums and rucks potentially tearing up turf to a greater extent than in league, a decision was made by the Old Trafford board and groundstaff to withdraw. Another factor was that the club are installing a new pitch at the end of the season that combines grass with artificial fibres in contrast to their grass-only surface"

Old Trafford has always had a remarkably bad surface for such a massive club. In January it used to cut up through Football alone. Stadiums like ours have been built in the next era of stadium design, with airflow and pitch preservation taken into full account. The shape of the Emirate stadium for example is specificually for maximum airflow throughout to the grass. That + brilliant groundstaff = a phenomenal playing surface.

Places like Old Trafford were just built up and up to cram more in when there was demand.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The last thing we need is a load of Hove Born & Breds, with their sensible haircuts and replica rugby shirts tucked into Marks & Spencer jeans sullying the Amex and forever tainting it for the sartorial, cutting edge working class BHA fan who feels that rugby is only a tad more tedious than the long version of cricket.

OMG, there's a long version of cricket?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I'm surprised you didn't mention you were gay either :whistle:

Oh, sorry... I didn't realise it was relevant to the thread. I'll change it.

'I'm a season ticket holder at Harlequins. From Brighton, working class, and shop at BHS as well as liking Willy'

Is that better ?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
The organisers of the 2015 World Cup will today confirm which grounds will host matches during the forthcoming tournament.

Reports suggest 13 have been selected and England Rugby 2015 - the organisers behind the World Cup - will today also reveal where each pool match will be played and the schedule for the knockout stages.

The Telegraph claims the list includes rugby strongholds Gloucester's Kingsholm and Exeter's Sandy Park while Twickenham and the Millennium Stadium are also included. And there are also reportedly eight football venues on the list with St James' Park, the Etihad Stadium, Villa Park, Elland Road, Brighton's Amex Stadium, Leicester City's King Power Stadium, and MK Dons' stadiummk getting the nod.

And the Olympic Stadium is also set to play a huge part in the tournament hosting around five pool matches. The newspaper also claims Wembley will host between two and four and Manchester City's Etihad Stadium getting just one.

More to follow..

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I just hope they offer tickets to real Rugby fans first, I'd hate it to end up being a crowd full of Amex happy clappers, the type who would go and watch the scrabble world championship as long as it was at our ground.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
No idea, but I can't imagine that they'd have bothered to bid for it if it wasn't worth their while financially.

The club wouldn't just want it for financial reasons (although it is obviously a big factor), it is also about advertising the club and stadium.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here