Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Amex food quality and cost

el punal

The hotdog is rubbish, comprising a small sausage in an over-sized dry roll. Typical football fare, I remember eating dry hotdogs at Anfield and Meadow Lane.

I like the pies, but it’s a messy eat.

I had the misfortune to buy a hot dog outside St.Mary’s for the New Year’s fixture against Saints, 2006 I think it was. The roll was rock hard and the sausage still had a pulse (there’s a song lyric there!). :sick:

P.S. I survived.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The article states that beer and food sales went up 16% and this was partially driven by people arriving much earlier. Maybe the queues weren’t longer?

Ah, but up 16% - was that the number of items sold or the extra £££ receipts - i.e. by volume or value?

Also, do people really arrive much earlier just to consume the food and drink? If that is really true, I'd be flabbergasted ...

N17

Jun 21, 2011
Ah, but up 16% - was that the number of items sold or the extra £££ receipts - i.e. by volume or value?

Also, do people really arrive much earlier just to consume the food and drink? If that is really true, I'd be flabbergasted ...

They do at ours. Before the new stadium was built if I arrived at the ground 2-2.5 hours before kick off there would be me and a handful of other fans milling about. Now the place is mobbed. It is madness.

I paid £9 in the ground yesterday for something described as fish and chips.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
At best edible but ALWAYS absolute SHITE value for money

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The hotdog is rubbish, comprising a small sausage in an over-sized dry roll. Typical football fare, I remember eating dry hotdogs at Anfield and Meadow Lane.

I like the pies, but it’s a messy eat.

I really like the pies and will always go for them, but not the hot dogs. On the one occasion I did go for one, it was just one dry sausage on a very dry and tasteless roll.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

No idea. But, just guessing, it’s a 16% increase in items sold. It would be mightily impressive if I’m wrong and slashing prices 50% yields a higher financial turnover.

The article says they are arriving earlier to consume food and drink. To be fair, US culture is different to ours and if you facilitate grazing on food the yanks will come. e.g. parking lot BBQS and picnics at sporting events and gigs. They’re fat for a reason.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Haven’t eaten at a game since the days of chicken pies from the van at Withdean. I bloody loved those. Would invariably have a burnt mouth for a few days afterward. Couple of quid I think.

el punal

Many non league clubs in this country have careting facilities and food, of better quality and value for money too.

Not at Eastleigh they don’t! Paid for a portion of chips, more than at the Amex, burning hot but still absolutely raw then fell over and lost the f***ing lot. Cue hysterical laughter from my so-called friends and other spectators. Oh such deep joy. :annoyed:

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
They do at ours. Before the new stadium was built if I arrived at the ground 2-2.5 hours before kick off there would be me and a handful of other fans milling about. Now the place is mobbed. It is madness.

I paid £9 in the ground yesterday for something described as fish and chips.

Out of interest, do they allow away fans into the bars after the match? Wouldn’t mind a look on Thursday.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Pies are excellent only surpassed by the sausage roll which they’ve stopped serving in WSU. The burgers are generally warm to cold and I have had them remove the whole lot from sale when they are Luke warm. They looked at me with shock, 2mins later manager arrives with thermostat being probed into burger and then all removed from sale. Burger outside is much better. Chips outside are bland

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Try going to the other PL grounds around the country. Amex has pie (or burger or hot dog), pint & crisps for £10. The food is amongst the best in the league and the pint is a real pint rather than a bottle that most clubs issue. Great value in my mind. Looking forward to Thursday though, great food last year and excellent beer.
Now the moan. East Upper must get the first pies out of the oven because I arrive 1 hour before KO and the pies are warm as opposed to baking hot every other season. Definitely been left for an hour. Also I notice that fewer people now use the kiosks. Queues are well down, and before you say 'contactless', upper east south kiosk is still cash.
Having travelled around North ESL WSL with cup games East Upper really is missing out on the options that other stands have.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I never eat between 2.30pm and 5pm, so I never feel the compulsion to buy a pie, burger at the footy as it would spoil my appetite for a later meal.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Every home match, I order a Heineken Zero as advertised on the price board at £3 in Dick's Bar for Mrs Earle. Every match they try to charge me full price for an alcoholic Heineken as the Zero isn't on their system. Every match they have to find a way to fiddle the system and charge the correct price as advertised. This week the solution was to charge me £3 by pretending it was hot chocolate and switching off the whole price board so they could overcharge any other customer who wanted non-alcoholic because it's easier. I helpfully mentioned that I would still remember the correct price next time and the bar girl equally helpfully replied 'I don't care.' Happy Christmas Sodexo.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Like the pies and Sausages rolls.

The adverts for the half time Heineken bottles via a token are annoying in East Upper as staff have never heard of them. Worked last season but not this year. Just take all the posters down then !!!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This thread is such a first world problem, it’s almost obscene at Xmas too.

Just be grateful you a) don’t have to buy even if can afford b) there’s comparatively a great choice c) it’s comparatively better than most d) it’s comparatively priced. Oh, and stop whinging FFS for all those reasons!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Got stuck on Satdi as I was starving from gym and the uni shop was shut.

Tried the Quorn noodles as I assume the halloumi burger is rammed with fat. There wasn't any Quorn in it. No flavouring either. It reminded me of when what pals I had oop north - who'd never cooked veggie before - tried to do it. I sort of appreciate the club putting something on the menu for fans who don't want to eat outright crap but it would've been a nice touch to have included something other than stringy noodles and carrot, for the price and description. But yeah, my fault for being schmuck enough to eat there

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here