Attachments

• IMG_20200111_122346.jpg
    IMG_20200111_122346.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 281

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Seen this floated a few times, but there's no way that roof is coming off. The entire roof is connected by a ring of steel that is embedded deep underground in concrete thrust blocks at the north and south ends.

You'd basically have to disassemble the entire stadium roof in order to raise it anywhere. Not gonna happen.
Your right of course.....in a financial restrictive world but if money was no object i am sure something could be engineered in addition to the current roof structure to erect another tier on the dolls house of an East stand. Crikey if engineers can bulld Palm Jumeirah Islands in Dubai i am sure a third tier overlooking the present East stand structure would be childs play.
Similarly Old Trafford could be made larger over the railway line that runs adjacent to the ground but it would be financial madness.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
There are times you wonder why we have local councils? All they ever do is object to things and waste a fortune of our council tax on constant meetings and expenses. Bit like MP's really.

It makes me genuinely livid that these councils are so bloody ungrateful towards The Albion . 200 MILLION added to the local economy in one year because of The Albion and they bitch and whine over a few added seats , utter morons .:angry:

You may have to point us towards the bit where the council have been ungrateful to the Albion, and where they've whined and bitched over a few extra seats.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Your right of course.....in a financial restrictive world but if money was no object i am sure something could be engineered in addition to the current roof structure to erect another tier on the dolls house of an East stand. Crikey if engineers can bulld Palm Jumeirah Islands in Dubai i am sure a third tier overlooking the present East stand structure would be childs play.
Similarly Old Trafford could be made larger over the railway line that runs adjacent to the ground but it would be financial madness.

Palm Jumeirah Dubai is exactly where money IS no object. BHA / Blooms coffers are not.

I have no idea what the costs would be to disassemble the Amex in order to shoe-horn in an extra tier somewhere, be it East or North. But you can guarantee it would be prohibitively expensive, and not something you could do over the course of a close-season (unless they cracked on while we are still under lockdown).

And having outlayed on those costs, it would be years and years and years before the thing even paid for itself. The clubs primary income is not from fans through the turnstiles, but from TV money.

Then you have to factor in that we may not always be dining at the top table. Meaning crowds would drop. Meaning the additional tier may not even be needed. and after such a MASSIVE financial burden to put it in ?

Nah. Any additional seats will have to be squeezed in without the roof being raised, I think thats just the reality.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I hate to put a dampener on this but these 'odd' seats going in to places aren't always a good thing.
I was in the back row of the upper east when they put a few extra seats behind me. When the ground was built someone must have looked at the back row and decided it would only take 10 seats after which the gap got smaller. The back wall is circular not straight. Now (well last season anyway) I have someone wedged in to a smaller legroom seat jamming their knee into my back.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Palm Jumeirah Dubai is exactly where money is no object. BHA / Blooms coffers is not.

I have no idea what the costs would be to disassemble the Amex in order to shoe-horn in an extra tier somewhere, be it East or North. But you can guarantee it would be prohibitively expensive, and not something you could do over the course of a close-season (unless they cracked on while we are still under lockdown).

And having outlayed on those costs, it would be years and years and years before the thing even paid for itself. The clubs primary income is not from fans through the turnstiles, but from TV money.

Then you have to factor in that we may not always be dining at the top table. Meaning crowds would drop. Meaning the additional tier may not even be needed. and after such a MASSIVE financial burden to put it in ?

Nah. Any additional seats will have to be squeezed in without the roof being raised, I think thats just the reality.

I've said it before (probably on this thread) and I'll say it again (definitely on this thread), why monkey around with the piddly AMEX, when there's a lovely space for the 90,000 seat PANTHEON that we deserve just to the south...

Screenshot 2021-02-01 165710.png

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I've said it before (probably on this thread) and I'll say it again (definitely on this thread), why monkey around with the piddly AMEX, when there's a lovely space for the 90,000 seat PANTHEON that we deserve just to the south...

View attachment 133300

Thats the fighting spirit i like and remember from days gone by.....

......i off to make me a placard, who's in?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

View attachment 133300

I recall the furstration waiting for work to start at Falmer and offering to turn up with a shovel and start digging!

Have you seen the slope on that ? I'm out!

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
I dream of us having another new stadium in due course, with Sussex CCC buying the Amex following the sale of the County Ground. The first few rows of seats at the Amex would be removed to expand the playing area.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I think 32,500 is it sadly, anymore than that will need to see a rebuilt stand from scratch I would imagine. Certainly a roof would need to come off somewhere like that have down at Citeh’s ground.

I know the nimby's would kick off big time in Falmer village but the south stand has tons of room behind it to be adapted, plus theres not as much down that end as the North. It may ruin the overall aesthetic of the stadium but could copying a similar design as Huddersfield for the south add a few thousand more. Cut the roof off, go up steeper, rounded at top and put new E/W stand roof design on south end too (like Hudds)??

amex.jpg

hudds.jpg

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Thats the fighting spirit i like and remember from days gone by.....

......i off to make me a placard, who's in?
The SDNP boundary runs around the north and western edges of that field. Getting the national park to agree to building a massive stadium in the park is going to be difficult.

Though it might be possible if the lost land was made up for with five times the size of lost land given to the park elsewhere, maybe?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I know the nimby's would kick off big time in Falmer village but the south stand has tons of room behind it to be adapted, plus theres not as much down that end as the North. It may ruin the overall aesthetic of the stadium but could copying a similar design as Huddersfield for the south add a few thousand more. Cut the roof off, go up steeper, rounded at top and put new E/W stand roof design on south end too (like Hudds)??

View attachment 133302

View attachment 133303

Perhaps. I think they’d need to add a lot of seats to make this worthwhile, we’d also need the sort of success that Leicester have seen to bump the numbers out.

32,750 get’s comfortably into the top 20 (or Premier League level) of this little list.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_stadiums_in_England

I’m pathetically competitive about this little detail despite knowing from experience, size isn’t everything!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Those two white arches at the Amex are embedded underground - they are leaning back away from each other, literally pulling the entire stadium roof up and holding it in place, each side using its own weight against the other. Like facing someone, joining hands and leaning back to counterbalance each other without falling down. You want to re-do any of the roofs, you've got to take them all down and dismantle the arches.

Bit of a job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports