Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex Catering reached a shocking unacceptable low yesterday-Club please read

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Whats the obsession with having to stuff your faces with a load of junk food at the Football anyway, can't people mange a fews hours without buying overpriced shite, FFS

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Whats the obsession with having to stuff your faces with a load of junk food at the Football anyway, can't people mange a fews hours without buying overpriced shite, FFS

Thats not the point. Probably 10000 people want to eat/drink something before the game and to screw that opportunity up is a lost opportunity. In these Austere times don't take people for granted. Their outlay for the Amex experience maybe a large proportion of their weekly budget so if one element of that is severely lacking it does not reflect well on the club and spoil the day to an extent. I ask you where else in the country nowadays would a business be losing/turning away customers ? Most busineses are just about scrapping by DESPERATELY searching for custom, so to have that custom and not service it/take it for granted is not acceptable imo.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

People may have other commitments, such as work, that means they are unable to eat before they get to a game. For other it's part of their day out. For a lot, having a few pints and a chat with mates is an essential part of their footballing life.

Is it really that difficult to understand?

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
People may have other commitments, such as work, that means they are unable to eat before they get to a game. For other it's part of their day out. For a lot, having a few pints and a chat with mates is an essential part of their footballing life.

Is it really that difficult to understand?

It is when people moan about it, obviously it needs to improve i don't doubt that but how many grounds have you been to where catering is great? 10,000 into 30 mins and the storage and cooking space just isn't a good fit.

I still prefer the old dog burger stand outside the ground type thing and a few pints in a pub then roling in 2 minutes before kickoff

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
I've not waded through the whole thread but I have to reluctantly add my moan as the East Stand has been getting poorer in my experience.

If you don't get in the queue for a pie before 2:15 you (a) will queue for at least 10 to 20 mins and (b) will be lucky to get a full choice of pies and drinks when you eventually do get there. If you do get a pie it will be luke warm at best.

If you don't leave at 40 mins to get in the queue for half time you will queue for at least 10 to 20 mins depending on how soon you can get in the queue after the half time whistle. If you, like me, are in the middle of a row near the pitch then you're coming back after the start of the game. You will not be able to get a pint with your mates and enjoy it for 10 mins. If they have the pie of your choice then you are lucky and whatever you take away will be cold. They will probably have run out of hot choccie as well.

If you want to use your swipe card you are condemmed to the queues as you cannot use them at the mobile bars. Choice of waiting or a bit of a discount.

Yesterday the server at first told me (after a 15 min wait) that they were out of steak pies. She was looking at the dispenser behind her, the one to her left was full of pies. When I pointed that out she looked amazed that there was more than one dispenser. She then got her own back by getting the bill all wrong. When I queried it she turn to jelly and had to get the supervisor who then had to sort a refund out.

I eventually got back to the game as Lambert was shown the red. At least the joy of that made up for finding out my steak pie was almost cold. It tasted nice as always though.

In the grand scheme of things it's a pretty petty moan - we have a great stadium, the best overall football for a generation, great prospects and the happiness of never having to go to Withdean again. That's not to mention there are people in the world starving or fighting for basic human rights. But if we were really putting that first we'd all be giving our money to charity and telling TB to give Oxfam 90 million spons to really make a difference. The truth is that these are frustrations that come with an reasonable expectations not being met in the context of our new home.

The option of a pie and a pint is part of what I like from my few hours at the footie. I want to watch the whole game not think I have to shove past people early just to neck a pint and scoff a pie. If I am just with the kids I bring a flask and some snacks but when I come with my mates/adult family then I would love to know that we can go out during half time and get a choice of pie/pint (with the pie not colder than the pint) and spend 5 mins or even a whole 10 mins chewing the cud.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
have to say, a pie or whatever and a pint is part of the footie experience for me but compared with other grounds (or the pub) it's certainly not overpriced and I've never found it to be shite - maybe I'm lucky :guitar: :albion2:

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
I don't use the kiosks anymore, can't be arsed to queue, and so sadly I never have a pie or anything to eat anymore.

I suppose I would queue if there was no option to go to the Harverys pumps though.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I'm tried them, they are not to my liking (anymore), I will possibly have one or two in the future. I think we were spoiled with the first batch which appeared homemade.

ANYWAY - I wouldn't class those pies as junk food or shite. They are now in my opinion, premium Supermarket quality cooked on mass. I'm not sure the box helps, it makes the pastry sweat.

We know they are a world away from what's on offer at most grounds.

They are also NOT overpriced. Not with quality ingredients like that.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I really cant believe this. The catering in WSU is absolutely brilliant IMO. It was bad at first but has improved MASSIVELY. Always get served within 5 mins. May be different in other parts of the ground but been to WSL after a match and got served very quickly.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It is when people moan about it, obviously it needs to improve i don't doubt that but how many grounds have you been to where catering is great? 10,000 into 30 mins and the storage and cooking space just isn't a good fit.

I still prefer the old dog burger stand outside the ground type thing and a few pints in a pub then roling in 2 minutes before kickoff

An old burger van will not serve 20000 potential customers as the bloke at the station is now finding out. Looks, this is for the good of the club and the overall day out experience. It may count for shit making my point but hopefully it may make some people listen to the fans feedback.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I really cant believe this. The catering in WSU is absolutely brilliant IMO. It was bad at first but has improved MASSIVELY. Always get served within 5 mins. May be different in other parts of the ground but been to WSL after a match and got served very quickly.

There seems to be a definate contrast between West and East Sheebo. All I can do it report on the East which is not acceptable, by a long way.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Yep and every time I've bought a Harveys from the miniature pubs on wheels, I've been the only one there. Got in about 2:15 yesterday, had a couple of pints before the game easily, bought one at half time easily.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I asked on one of the many other threads about this topic what the relationship was between Azure and the Stadium and then the Club and didn't see an answer. Does the Amex rent the space to Azure to do with as they please (although ensuring local suppliers)??

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There seems to be a definate contrast between West and East Sheebo. All I can do it report on the East which is not acceptable, by a long way.

Ah right Gareth - you're East. I believe you of course but trust me WSU is perfect. I know that doesn't help you tho. I have been very, very impressed with how the club have tinkered things throughout the yr tho - pre pured pints / see through safety glass / new coach layouts etc etc - the club do listen and do imoprove. I hope they sort the East. Went on a tour the other day and did notice there wasn't many kiosks in the East...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I asked on one of the many other threads about this topic what the relationship was between Azure and the Stadium and then the Club and didn't see an answer. Does the Amex rent the space to Azure to do with as they please (although ensuring local suppliers)??

I believe that all of the stadium catering has been sub-contracted out to Azure. Hearsay is that it's a fixed price contract so, financially, it makes no difference to the club whether 1 pie is sold or 10,000 pies are sold. I'm not sure I believe that is completely true.

I'd be interested to know the KPIs etc in place and how Azure are performing against their contract. Not that we'll know, obviously, as it will be commercially sensitive.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yep and every time I've bought a Harveys from the miniature pubs on wheels, I've been the only one there. Got in about 2:15 yesterday, had a couple of pints before the game easily, bought one at half time easily.

As has my Dad. WSU is sorted for sure.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Ah right Gareth - you're East. I believe you of course but trust me WSU is perfect. I know that doesn't help you tho. I have been very, very impressed with how the club have tinkered things throughout the yr tho - pre pured pints / see through safety glass / new coach layouts etc etc - the club do listen and do imoprove. I hope they sort the East. Went on a tour the other day and did notice there wasn't many kiosks in the East...

Looks like the East requires the massive improvement the WSU has experienced since the start of the season. I don't really worry about "service", but the staff in our bit are incredibly polite. Bought my Harveys and was told to "enjoy the pint and the game".

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

5500 people and 3 kiosks and a small one. Its the speed of service, lack of experience and the total lack of organisation which I think is the main problem as well as everything running out well before kick off so as ROSM said its a total gamble and one which many people will soon not be taking.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Looks like the East requires the massive improvement the WSU has experienced since the start of the season. I don't really worry about "service", but the staff in our bit are incredibly polite. Bought my Harveys and was told to "enjoy the pint and the game".

When I say service, I mean speed of service. I really don't care if the staff smile or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here