Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

American Health care.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Watching the US debate, and listening to ranters like Rush Limbaugh, what really annoyed me was that when the Canadian system was mentioned, they used extreme examples to knock it. In any system you can find horror stories and extreme examples, but that doesn't mean a system is generally not a good thing. I find the Canadian system a nice compromise between the UK and the US.

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
I think the best thing that can happen is to let states dictate if they have a statewide health care. the big thing about the republican win in mass is that mass has a state health care program and over 98% of the state is covered, so for them to pay for a nation wide health care is for them to pay for other failing states like california. also another big thing is just the general ineffectual government, in southern states like california, texas, new mexico, aroniza there are a large amount of illegal immigrants who use state aid for their children. ive lived in both socal and texas and know this pretty well. americans who pay taxes want the money to go to americans not illegals. both republicans and democrats dont want to tackle the border issue really, so people are against it. also morality takes a big thing, republicans wanted there be assurances that abortions were not covered, even though they were never included in the original bill. basically obama is screwed because the democrats are ineffectual, whatever health care bill is passed will be largely rubbish and capitalist and more of the same. the best you can do is just let states decide or w/e and hope they go for it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
And would they ever, and would we as a nation find it acceptable for foreign nationals to be left dying in waiting rooms ?

We probably have to accept that our system being free at the point of delivery will always be open to that.

.. but Billions? unlikely.

Oh, I do agree. There is no perfect solution really.

In an ideal world, everyone would get treated for free. Sadly, there are plenty of people that will miss out on life saving treatment, whether they be a British tax payer or a health tourist.

This is a personal bugbear and probably a bit tabloidesque... but I do find it strange that we spend huge sums on things like IVF, when that money could be better spent elsewhere. I pick on IVF as I do not see it as being essential treatment.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
No wonder, we've got hundreds of HIV-AIDS sufferers flocking here from African countries. £30,000 a year for HIV-AIDS medicine for each person.

Government make me laugh when they say there has been an increase in HIV-AIDS due to poor education so must teach children when they’re even younger, the only increase is from immigrants that come here because they know they can get it free but the government refuse to say what ethnic group carry the HIV-AIDS virus the most because of political correctness.

Where did you get that information from?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
No wonder, we've got hundreds of HIV-AIDS sufferers flocking here from African countries. £30,000 a year for HIV-AIDS medicine for each person.

Government make me laugh when they say there has been an increase in HIV-AIDS due to poor education so must teach children when they’re even younger, the only increase is from immigrants that come here because they know they can get it free but the government refuse to say what ethnic group carry the HIV-AIDS virus the most because of political correctness.

Funny how people are campaigning to stop their current deportation then

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/dec/01/hiv-aids-uk-patients

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
His friend Keith Kenneth King no doubt.

Maybe...it is just that I thought that if that really were the case then a certain political party, who should remain nameless, would be making the most of letting the nation know!

Helter

Jan 4, 2010
Where did you get that information from?

It's the fact, I suggest you e-mail the government and ask under the freedom information act for figures relating to HIV-AIDS nationals

Doubt you'll get much joy.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
It's the fact, I suggest you e-mail the government and ask under the freedom information act for figures relating to HIV-AIDS nationals

Doubt you'll get much joy.

I take it from that comment that you have access to the figures, why not post them here or at the very least put up a link.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I don’t need too. I know, I’m just saying that people who believe the spin this government spouts then do some research yourselves.

I have been, the point is that we are struggling to work out where you getting your information from.

Your obviously work in the NHS - which trust ?

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I don’t need too. I know, I’m just saying that people who believe the spin this government spouts then do some research yourselves.

So, you make a bold statement..which did sound plausible...then when challenged all but say that it is bollocks, that you made it up, yet challenge people to go out and see if they can find the information that backs this up!

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

Im am really sickened by people like you in this country. I pay taxes that despite being on a pretty low income I am happy to pay because I really do believe in helping people less fortunate than myself despite not being in a great position myself. I would like to ask like many on this forum where your claim of "billions" of pounds per year treating foreigners who are apparantly scaming us out of our taxes comes from!

Maybe the tens of thousand's, possibly hundred's of thousands (or maybe by your standards of exaggeration billions) of people that are (using BNP language) indigenous british citizen's that scam their way out of work, taxes etc every year are more of a problem to this country than a few thousand immigrants that are desperate, poverty stricken and have no other option?

Oh yeah and In my experiance working in a venue that hosts a number of American bands I have had many conversations with band members who are in disbelief that we can just roll up to the hospital and get treatment without getting out the credit card/phone the insurance company. Yeah we have to wait a while sometimes but when immediate care is needed (something that has happened to me twice in my life) people are rushed into casualty IMMEDIATELY without hesitation. Sure we have problems but who doesn't!

Also, I would be personally happy that my taxes get spent on treating people that have life threatening diseases wherever they come from. Whilst we shouldn't make this country a one-stop-shop for people to get treatment and then leave, surely you have some human compassion for people less fortunate than yourself?!?! Or is it simply that you don't like anyone that isn't white? :facepalm: I know this won't make any difference to your viewpoint and depite the fact that I rarely make posts on this forum and prefer to read other's messages I could not prevent myself from replying to your comments.

Hope you are well :wave:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The American health system is a three tier system although officially it's two. The top tier is for those who have full insurance cover, the second is for those who are poorer and they use what is known as an HMO or Health Maintenance Organisation. It's based on a number of factors but at the end of the day it is supposed to make a profit and I know several people who have been treated by an HMO and believe me it's not only second tier it's also very second rate. The third and unofficial tier is that of those who can't quite afford to live 'The American Dream' and they are the people who can't afford insurance. There's at least thirty million people in the US with no medical protection at all. It's a situation made worse by Republicans being both Pro Life and also wanting to reduce (preferably stop) all family planning counselling based on the premise that people should not have sex.

I might add that you may have decent insurance but it is limited to the amount you are covered for. People with long term illnesses like cancer and MS quite often end up not being able to afford treatment once their policy has reached his threshold.

People complain about the NHS but for all it's faults British people should be damn thankful we have it.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The points sjamesb highlight exactly why our healthcare system, which isn't flawless, is one of the best in the World...and as bhaexpress points out, we should be damn thankful we have it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here