Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

American Health care.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
and where did i say no one supported it? im challenging the assertion that seems to be made here that it has broad, widespread support. i know there are many areas and groups that do support it, but there are also many that oppose it.

sorry I thought you were saying that no one in America supported the reform. Please accept my humble apologies

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
One of the most amusing things was seeing Rush Limbaugh, one of the right wing nutters on talk radio, make a complete tit of himself.

He was taken into a hospital in Hawaii suffering from chest pains (which unfortunately weren't fatal). After being treated he said how wonderful that American State’s health care was and he couldn’t see the need for reform. Unfortunately he didn’t realize that Hawaii has the near universal health care system he so despises.

"Unfortunately" weren't fatal?...shame on you...and Limbaugh was treated at a private hospital.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
i have been in the US all week building up to this and from what i see/hear you could not be further from the truth if you think everyone thinks f*** everyone else i want to pay zero tax to spend on big cars and guns.

Having lived there that's very much the impression I got. It rather depends on your circumstances though. America is a great place if you have health and wealth but if you lack one or the other it's a third world country.

Visit a trailer park sometime and see some decent squalor. When you think that 35,000,000 people (half the population of Great Britain) have no medical cover you have to wonder why all Americans are not embracing this.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Having lived there that's very much the impression I got. It rather depends on your circumstances though. America is a great place if you have health and wealth but if you lack one or the other it's a third world country.

Visit a trailer park sometime and see some decent squalor. When you think that 35,000,000 people (half the population of Great Britain) have no medical cover you have to wonder why all Americans are not embracing this.

having been here on the piss all week i know everything about the place. i dont need to visit a trailer park i can visit the heygate or milton court very close to me and see some extremely f***ed people. many of whom have moved to the UK to access healthcare, primarily.

its just the same old cliches trotted out that get on my nerves a bit, that european snobbery and self satisfaction that comes out when refering to things like health care and gun ownership etc. you can set your watch by it. not saying people are right or wrong, let alone me, but the parrot fashion repeated received wisdom is f***ing boring.

millions of people are for it, millions against, thats proper democracy in action. excellent.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
having been here on the piss all week i know everything about the place. i dont need to visit a trailer park i can visit the heygate or milton court very close to me and see some extremely f***ed people. many of whom have moved to the UK to access healthcare, primarily.

its just the same old cliches trotted out that get on my nerves a bit, that european snobbery and self satisfaction that comes out when refering to things like health care and gun ownership etc. you can set your watch by it. not saying people are right or wrong, let alone me, but the parrot fashion repeated received wisdom is f***ing boring.

millions of people are for it, millions against, thats proper democracy in action. excellent.

So, now you've had a little rant, exactly what do you think is right and you can quote whatever cliches you think suit your argument. Personally, I think universal healthcare should be the aspiration of every society. As for gun control, if everyone was 100% sane, and everyone that sold guns was 100% honest then maybe there wouldn't be a problem but that's not the case. In some US states there is the increased frequency for people to openly carry guns in holsters. Not sure I am keen to visit the US again if a minor disagreement is going to be solved by someone drawing a gun.

Clinging to some doctrine that was written over 200 years ago in a different political climate seems to me to be a bit backward, especially when you consider the nature of some of the weopons that are available to buy such as assault rifles and the like. Some seem to claim the right to defend yourself but then exactly how do you defend yourself with a sniper rifle accurate to 3000yrds for example. Where do you keep an assault rifle at night so that it is handy in the event of intruders. You might need one helluva big pillow! And then there is of course the argument about kids getting their hands on them, accidental deaths and the odd school massacre.

Still, America won't change, I just hope we don't descend to their level. Sorry if that sounds a bit snobby.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
As well as reducing the influence of the insurance companies the Government needs to look at the whole litigation industry attached to healthcare. A lot of medicine here is really what is you would call defensive. Doctors are afraid of law suits so they will order endless tests and scans etc. to rule out every eventuality. I twisted my ankle playing 5 a side. The X-rays didn’t show anything but the orthopedic doctor, a Kiwi, said that an MRI scan (about $600) should be done just to be sure. He admitted that it was really unnecessary but he needed to tick the boxes for the insurers. The bill was paid by the insurance company but to me that is $600 that could have been used on something which was necessary. In the UK a competent doctor would have used his common sense and advised something like “RICE” and told you not to put any stress on it for a few weeks.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
"Unfortunately" weren't fatal?...shame on you...and Limbaugh was treated at a private hospital.

In a just world Rush Limbaugh would have died years ago. Hopefuly from something very painful with maximum suffering.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just glad that money is so plentiful in the NHS that we can afford to pay for foreigners without people who've paid all their lives suffereing
Kidney patients denied 'too expensive' life-extending drugs - Telegraph
NHS refusal to give me drugs is death sentence | News
BBC News - Liver cancer drug 'too expensive'

what about all the leather skinned, spaghetti bolognese and chips eating, gold sovereign wearing 'I call a spade a spade me' ex-pats types who burden the Spanish health care? What comes around goes around.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/oct/05/british-expats-health-tourism-spain

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here