Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Although It's BISSOUMA They All Seem To Want...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I am not stressing over this.

If we sell Maupay now, we either have two strikers lined up or we haven't got a pot to piss in. I don't think either is likely.
Bissouma to Liverpool is not impossible, but on balance I also don't think this will happen. You need;

1 The player to be itching for a move.
2 The club to be happy with the offer.
3 The player to believe he is a big part of the plans of the buying manager.

Right now 1 doesn't look likely, (next season may well be different)
2 & 3 Liverpool appear to be looking to fill a gap in their squad. Are they going to make an offer we can't refuse? will Bissouma be a big part of their plans this season?

If Liverpool really want him, they have a lot of work to do on all three fronts in a short space of time.

Exactly. I'll say again, he'll stay this season, sign a new contract after the window closes, which will get him a substantial pay rise (making him top earner), and will contain a release clause that will mean two things. First, he'll be off to a CL club next summer, and second, we'll receive a fee that will cause no end of posters to say 'he's worth more than White', 'the club's run so badly', etc (conveniently forgetting that he would have left for less without signing the new contract).

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
How the shag can we sell another striker now ?

We are struggling to bring in 1 striker as it is. No chance we can sign 2 in 5 days.

We aren't selling a striker. Potter was replying to questions about specific players and he rightly said that any player could still go this window. He's right. If someone offers silly money, we might have to take it. It doesn't mean we're looking to sell. Or that anyone is looking to buy.

Maupay to Everton is one of those shit paper stories that happen in pre match interviews:

Journo: are there any player at Brighton you rate?

Benitez: Maupay is hot right now. We need to worry about him.

Journo: so you'd like him in your side?

Benitez: (avoiding a stupid, leading question) we don't have room for anyone else right now!

Journo (in paper): Benitez interested in Maupay but will have to sell players first

Journo (later in the paper): which Everton players are on Benitez hit list and on their way out to free up space?

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Bissouma may* have a gentleman's agreement that he can go for a certain amount (£40m?) to a top 6 side... if so, his agent will have made them well aware of that...

*pure speculation

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Bissouma may* have a gentleman's agreement that he can go for a certain amount (£40m?) to a top 6 side... if so, his agent will have made them well aware of that...

*pure speculation

Double that and TB might even answer the phone to them. No way would we sell him for that.

Be better to keep him for 2 seasons and let him go for a free, but guaranteeing our PL status which is worth a lot more than that.

Gives time to Caicedo to get upto speed.

Yea I know Biss doesn't guarantee our PL status, but I'd feel a lot less secure in our ability to stay up without him in the squad

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Double that and TB might even answer the phone to them. No way would we sell him for that.

Be better to keep him for 2 seasons and let him go for a free, but guaranteeing our PL status which is worth a lot more than that.

Yea I know Biss doesn't guarantee our PL status, but I'd feel a lot less secure in our ability to stay up without him in the squad

The article in the Argus reports some simple things said by Potter. Of course he's right in what he says, but it will take incredible finance, and 40m is not that. Other clubs will know Bloom's stance on transfer dealings, there's no way he does "rash" sales/purchases, so this late in the window I would be shocked if he agreed to anything unless it is a figure we can't resist.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Seems to be a lot of media speculation this morning that £40m is the figure we've set for Biss. On the basis that Ben "Leeds through and through" White was sold for £50m or thereabouts, taking into account add-ons, I cannot imagine Brighton considering selling Biss for a chunk less than White. Just doesn't make sense to me...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Seems to be a lot of media speculation this morning that £40m is the figure we've set for Biss. On the basis that Ben "Leeds through and through" White was sold for £50m or thereabouts, taking into account add-ons, I cannot imagine Brighton considering selling Biss for a chunk less than White. Just doesn't make sense to me...

It all comes from one "reporter"

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I don’t believe any ‘paper talk’, wherein it’s stated that we’ve placed a specific asking price on a player. That’s just not the way we operate!

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...issouma-Brighton-gossip-rumours-update-latest

The only thing about this that worries me is that it is under Tony Banks's byline. "Dogger" is a good friend of mine and usually very reluctant to write complete crap, even for the Express, so there's probably some truth in Liverpool making a tentative enquiry, just to see if we might be interested. I'm assuming the £40m is the usual educated guesswork.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
We aren't selling a striker. Potter was replying to questions about specific players and he rightly said that any player could still go this window. He's right. If someone offers silly money, we might have to take it. It doesn't mean we're looking to sell. Or that anyone is looking to buy.

Maupay to Everton is one of those shit paper stories that happen in pre match interviews:

Journo: are there any player at Brighton you rate?

Benitez: Maupay is hot right now. We need to worry about him.

Journo: so you'd like him in your side?

Benitez: (avoiding a stupid, leading question) we don't have room for anyone else right now!

Journo (in paper): Benitez interested in Maupay but will have to sell players first

Journo (later in the paper): which Everton players are on Benitez hit list and on their way out to free up space?

Journo: Growing speculation that you're interested in signing Neal Maupay from Brighton, Rafa. Any truth in that?

Benitez: I haff a friend oo iz a seas'on ticket 'older at Brighton. Ee say ee iz shitehouse.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1

I agree with all of that but *if there is some verbal agreement Mr Bloom strikes me as likely to be a man of wis word in such matters.

*I doubt there is but would not completely rule it out.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The only thing about this that worries me is that it is under Tony Banks's byline. "Dogger" is a good friend of mine and usually very reluctant to write complete crap, even for the Express, so there's probably some truth in Liverpool making a tentative enquiry, just to see if we might be interested. I'm assuming the £40m is the usual educated guesswork.

It’s clear the £40m is guesswork but educated guesswork? I think not.

In terms of recent box-to-box midfielder Big Six transfers, we have Rodri (who’d never played in the EPL) going for £63m and Ndombele (who had no EPL experience either) going for £54m (£64m with add-ons).

I wouldn’t swap Biss for both of those players put together.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
So....... I don't think Bissouma will go anywhere where he's going to sit on the bench a lot. he love splaying... you can see that and I don't think he's is in it just for the money.... so let's look at his chances of playing first team at those three clubs:

Liverpool - Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago. Even if you leave out Jones and Milner it's not looking likely unless one of those three go.

Man utd - McTominay and Fred look solid..... will be tough for Bissouma ot break in.... maybe instead of Fred.... He could replace Matic but look how many games he gets.

Arsenal - ok if they really consider letting Xhaka go there is a good chance but who would want to got to Arsenal right now? Don't think Biss has got a thing for Ben do you?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Cannot see us selling Bissouma in this window, especially in a last minute smash and grab from Liverpool. Clubs simply do not let players of Biss's stature leave in a flash, unless the money is simply unrefusable. We can easily turn down £40m.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We've just rinsed Arsenal for 50m for Ben White (when we've got an abundance of very good centre backs to step into his shoes). No way are we letting Bissouma go for 40m with days left until the window slams shut.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
So....... I don't think Bissouma will go anywhere where he's going to sit on the bench a lot. he love splaying... you can see that and I don't think he's is in it just for the money.... so let's look at his chances of playing first team at those three clubs:

Liverpool - Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago. Even if you leave out Jones and Milner it's not looking likely unless one of those three go.

Man utd - McTominay and Fred look solid..... will be tough for Bissouma ot break in.... maybe instead of Fred.... He could replace Matic but look how many games he gets.

Arsenal - ok if they really consider letting Xhaka go there is a good chance but who would want to got to Arsenal right now? Don't think Biss has got a thing for Ben do you?
Bissouma is better than every player you've mentioned there.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's only right and proper that Bissouma's contribution was highlighted on MOTD last weekend. Tho sadly not very helpful to the club's chances of retaining him while the transfer window remains open

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here