Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alternative to itunes...

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
i havent seen MYOB on here for a bit, but this might bring him out...

Advice needed.

I currently have about 4,000 tunes on itunes. The problem is that most of these are in AAC format (standard for itunes - particularly in early versions) which makes them pretty unuseable for anything outside itunes - which is a bit of a pain as I now want to put music on my PSP.

I remember reading on here that there were alternatives. WINAMP?

basically, what alternative would you recommend, and is it possible to convert the file types from AAC to something else?

Ta muchly.

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Nearly all players can play AAC, however nothing but iTunes can play -protected- AAC files that you bought off the iTunes Music Store. Winamp can definately handle them, as can Realplayer (spit).

And yes, even iTunes will convert unprotected AAC to mp3 - select the files, you want to convert; Advanced->Convert Selection to AAC.

I also think the PSP will play AAC if you install the latest firmware. Unprotected only, though.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
MYOB said:
Nearly all players can play AAC, however nothing but iTunes can play -protected- AAC files that you bought off the iTunes Music Store.

you can though BURN all these to CD and re-rip them as standard mp3's..

Not great fun but it solves the problem !!

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
MYOB said:
Nearly all players can play AAC, however nothing but iTunes can play -protected- AAC files that you bought off the iTunes Music Store. Winamp can definately handle them, as can Realplayer (spit).

And yes, even iTunes will convert unprotected AAC to mp3 - select the files, you want to convert; Advanced->Convert Selection to AAC.

I also think the PSP will play AAC if you install the latest firmware. Unprotected only, though.

All of my tracks are off CDs - so this means they will be unprotected?

So in theory I should be able to whack the files as they are onto my memory stick (after the jiggery pokery to get the right folders set up) and they should work?

Might still look at getting WINAMP instead - just for flexibility.

ta matey!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Yeah, they'll be fine. It doesn't protect music off CD. (Unlike Media Player, which does by default..)

And yes, once the PSP has firmware 2.0 or higher, it'll play those files fine.

And what Redland says is true, you can burn off bought iTunes music and rip it back, its a true pain in the arse but it works. I've done it to use pepsi cap vouchers up ;)

Last edited:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Bluejuice said:

Precisely

Unless you're on a Macintosh, in which case you should be using VLC.

iTunes is a steaming pile of shite, and its Windows port is unusably bad. Its better on the Mac but VLC is still better than it.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Having said that I just tried to use the radio in my Winamp and got a message telling me to upgrade which I promptly did, and now my media library skins don't fit

:(

What a bunch of balls

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
You went from 2.x or 3.x to 5.x I'd guess?

Theres a mode to set 5.x to look like 2.x and the skins work again. 3.x ones don't as 3.x was a f***ing Bad Idea on Nullsofts part and thats why they dropped it and went back to 2.x.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
MYOB said:
You went from 2.x or 3.x to 5.x I'd guess?

Theres a mode to set 5.x to look like 2.x and the skins work again. 3.x ones don't as 3.x was a f***ing Bad Idea on Nullsofts part and thats why they dropped it and went back to 2.x.
Quite. :rolleyes:

MYOB, you really need to get out more.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Nah I just went from 5.11 to 5.21 because it wouldnt let me use the radio search until I did so.

Now my media library window is twice the size of the content within it so I have a thick useless border around my media library and can't find out how to get rid.

I've tried changing skin but it's the same with any of them

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Bluejuice said:
Nah I just went from 5.11 to 5.21 because it wouldnt let me use the radio search until I did so.

Now my media library window is twice the size of the content within it so I have a thick useless border around my media library and can't find out how to get rid.

I've tried changing skin but it's the same with any of them

So winamp is better unless you wanna update it ?

:lolol:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Hrm, that just sounds like a fuckup in the app, then. Not good. Have you tried reinstalling the version you're using now? I don't think they've added random pointless borders for no reason.

Woodchip - you don't know me outside of NSC, at all. So shut up.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
REDLAND said:
So winamp is better unless you wanna update it ?

:lolol:

As compared to upgrading to the Windows version of iTunes 5.0 and being unable to access the internet until it was removed, as happened to about 30% of all users?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Woodchip said:
Dude, chill!!! I was only kidding. Plus I've been sat here all night watching the footy and reading/posting on NSC, so you could have pointed that out.

Ah, but so have most of us so I'm not quite ready to start flinging that one out :p

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
MYOB - you could probably help on this one - how do i rip napster tunes back into mp3's so that i can put them on my ipod?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
MYOB - you could probably help on this one - how do i rip napster tunes back into mp3's so that i can put them on my ipod?

If bought - burn to CD, and re-rip

If 'rented' - loopback soundcard recording. This is utterly NASTY to do. sometimes this can be easy-ish - some sound card drivers have a loopback input on the mixer and you just use something free like Audacity to record back. Otherwise you'll need slightly more special software, although on some cards you just connect the Line Out to the Line In - this works on my Soundblaster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here