Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alternative Sites - the official facts.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
See in the Leader this week that the man who knows the score, Richard Lindfield says that Mike Middleton, former Brighton councillor is putting forward the old Lewes Road barracks as an another option. Lindfield says not the first time he has heard it mentioned:rolleyes:

Gaffer said:
See in the Leader this week that the man who knows the score, Richard Lindfield says that Mike Middleton, former Brighton councillor is putting forward the old Lewes Road barracks as an another option. Lindfield says not the first time he has heard it mentioned:rolleyes:
As another option for what?

(Sorry ... we don't get the Leader out here).

Surely not a stadium site?

There's simply not enough space between the railway and the Lewes Road to fit one in.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wasn't Mike Middleton or isn't MM one of the custodians of the 40 note fund? Or have I got the wrong man?

If so why is he trying to put his oar in and muddy the waters with ridiculous suggestions as that site s a stadium. Might be large enough as training ground for us though if we had the money.

From the City Council's "City News" (May 2004)

Preston Barracks plan chosen

An outstanding, elegant landmark development for the city has been chosen to transform the derelict site at Preston Barracks.

The groundbreaking, contemporary proposal by a consortium of Chichester Diocesan Housing Association (CDHA), Hyde and Wilson Bowden, will create over 1,000 local jobs, 412 homes of which 40% will be affordable, 20,000 square metres of business space with an innovation centre and community facilities.

The former Ministry of Defence site on the Lewes Road is earmarked for a mixed development of businesses and accommodation. The winning proposal was chosen from a shortlist of four.

preston-barracks-pic.jpg

In other words ... the site isn't available.

And, yes, Mike Middleton is a trustee of the Forty Notes Fund, which most of us probably imagine was set up to work WITH the Club, not undermine its plans for Falmer.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I feel that Richard Lindfield being the club announcer could have done more to quell this rubbish in his column in the Leader. It appears that the supporters are expected to get behind Falmer but others who are closer don't have to.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Gaffer said:

I can only assume that Richard Lindfield is mis-quoting Mike Middleton on this, as I can't believe that the latter would come out with something so stupid. Middleton was certainly NOT speaking on behalf of the 40 Notes Fund, and, as a former councillor, was (if he was quoted correctly) airing his opnion as a private individual.

Middleton lost his councillor status at the last round of council elections to - wait for it - The Green Party. He now spends more time running his scaffolding business and is - quite seriously - spending more time with his family.

It's worse than a ladies' knitting circle at Newsquest sometimes. Lindfield ought to know better than peddle this nonsense.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Mike Middleton has come out in public with a serious suggestion for one other site in the past.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
perseus said:
Mike Middleton has come out in public with a serious suggestion for one other site in the past.

I would have thought that NOW is not the right time for supporters to be looking and suggesting new sites. So much money has gone into Falmer that we have reached a point where it is Falmer or bust.

IMO it is more constructive for supporters to get behind the proposals for Falmer, even if like me, it wasn't your original choice.

IT HAS TO BE NOW.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Mike Middleton must know this more than anybody else as he was chairing the Labour party working group on the stadium proposals.

This is why the Leader comment is incongruous and probably just plain wrong.

sullyupthewing

Jul 5, 2003
brighton and worthing
Gaffer said:

It must piss Martin Perry right off when he reads rubbish like this.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If it's no to Falmer, then I think the government should pay our costs, it's only fair.:lolol:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Some facts about development:

1) Not for tradition but for economic reasons, sporting stadia have always been built on the edge or outside of town. The real estate in town is always too expensive. This is a fact of life.

So this means that alternative sites like Brighton station were never remotely feasible.

2) You cannot build on public open spaces any more. The public will kick up such a stink that it would make the Falmer complaints look like a chimpanzee tea party (a bit like that anyway). It would ened up going to the European Courts.

There was a fuss over grazing cows on Lancing Ring and almost as many people turned up as the Hove Town hall demonstration about the new stadium.

This immediately knocks out both Waterhall and Sheepcote.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
FALMER. Accept no alternative.:)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
perseus said:
Some facts about development:

1) Not for tradition but for economic reasons, sporting stadia have always been built on the edge or outside of town. The real estate in town is always too expensive. This is a fact of life.

That is utter twaddle. There is a long tradition of building stadia in towns and cities. Just look at the London teams, look at the Liverpool teams, look at Newcastle, Sheffield United, Bradford City, the old Derby County, Leicester and Sunderland grounds. I could name dozens more.

It's only recently that clubs have moved to the outskirts, traditionally they have been close to the centre of town.

I agree that cost of real estate is high now and that's why out-of-town developments are more attractive...and why Falmer is the only answer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here