Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alternative Sites - the official facts.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Although initially gutted at what seems like endless delays, I am encouraged that it would seem there is a very good chance of a YES. Albeit, probably not for another 12 months (just basing that on how everything seems to take 3 times longer than it should - I don't KNOW anything).

Let's look at this rationally. We know that there are serious flaws with all 7 alternatives, so that is a reason to celebrate. We KNOW that very strong cases can be put against all of them, some (Shoreham Harbour and Brighton Station are laughable).

What would have been difficult is if a 'better' site had become available while all this had been going on. I don't know what is planned for the old Cement Works, but it never seems to start. Just imagine if JP had said 8 sites and that was the eighth, stating "We believe this site is now available due to development plans previously in place, now falling through. In light of the fact that it is a Brownfield site, we will overlook any issues relating to it being more than 8 miles from the Pavilion."

Now THAT would have been difficult, a plausible site being thrown into the mix, but that has not happened. All we have are the sites we have already looked into and rejected. The club have obviously picked the best site, why would they not. Now we just have to explain why the others were not viable.

It is perfectly clear that THERE IS ONLY ONE SITE IN BRIGHTON, we just need to present all the information fully to ensure that the ODPM can demonstrate they have investigated everything fully, and given all parties every possible chance.

It's a delay, but should be no more than that. Let's just stay patient for a little longer, and we will ALL be sat there in FALMER watching the Albion.

Great work Lord B & Roz, keep it up. It's taken me nearly a week to get to this point, you guys have been upbeat about it all along. Well played! :clap:

does anyone know when Falmer will cease to an AONB because the boundaries have moved.

Will that be during or after the new enquiry has convened? Because if it is after the enquiry, then the arguments against Falmer will still be valid (from a planning pov)

D

Deleted User X18H

I want Falmer as much as any one well I want a proper stadium but what if............. the only site available was Withdean it is actually the same size as the Falmer site(s) if nothing else was spare then I am sure the club would consider Withdean and you could build a Parkway station there.

I still think there is a way to go but feel a stadium will be built or building commenced in the next twelve months

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I dont agree that Waterhall has poor transport and access . . .thats just being lazy, it is however north of the railway line, but thats never stopped anyone doing anything before, I actually thingk its the best site, but hey, what do I know.

Withdean would be possible if . . . .we built it 100 feet up in the air, therefore eliminating noise from the nimby equation, the space could be used for a multi storey car park, train station is already there, the raide stadia would eliminate flooding, and the site is big enough for 20 000 seats, theonly minor issue is improving the main road into Brighton, but thats been a major requirement for about 20 years now anyway, and shouldnt be the clubs problem

and I agree with on the Left wing, NSP is a tardis of a site !:lolol:

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Unfortunateley, Waterhall is the only site Collyer has categorically dismissed, which makes his contrary views even more difficult to stomach.

(Where, for example, does he get the notion that footballer supporters are prpared to walk 6 - 8km to a ground on a regular basis?). How close to Waterhall Toad's Hall have to be to be considered to be close to Waterhall even discounting the altitude change?

I think the Inspector must have arrived in a Tardis.

Clearly, he has zero empathy with supporters as adjudjed by his report, which effectively rubbishes much of the Albion points, and more demonstably by the way in which the whole thing is effectively slanted at all the alternatives (bar Waterhall) being better than Falmer, with Withdean head and shoulderrs above everything else.

One fatal flaw in the now outdated report is that his comparisons are based on our stature as a Div 2 club (or Div 3 in old money as I now prefer even more stroingly to refer to it as with the advent of the Championship and yet more confusion).

This fact will not go away. We are now just one league down from the best. Our average home attendance in 77/78, (Old Div 2) 78/79 (Old Div 2)and 79/80 (Old Div 1) was 25,264, 22,074 & 24,795 respectively, so please don't give me '96/'97 as a realistic comparison or the Gillingham years J. R.

The fact that we manage our finances so prudently and have gained success on the back of it is in spite of Withdean. It has nothing to recommend it as a long term or even short term proposition. 9k capacity simply is not enough. We are not a glorified Southwick, and bear more comparison with the likes of Charlton when potential is put into the equation, which clearly it has not by the Inspectorate at any stage. It simply does not support his standpoint and would silence the Nimbys and his argument that we are aptly suited to a small ground until Shoreham Harbour or the Second Coming.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Transport and acess: the trouble with both Waterhall and Toad's Hole (or the good thing) is that not that have bad access, but the highways department would not allow traffic lights, but would insist on an expensive junction, spaghetti-style, set up, which would cost too much dosh to be worthwhile just for a stadium on its own.

With railway stations, they would get built if a certain number of passengers will use them. I do not know what the numbers are. It could be 750,000 a year, but this seems a bit high. A stadium on its own even in the Premier would not reach this figure.

My feeling is that although a railway station is highly desirable, it is only really essential if we have Premiership aspirations.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Bromley shrimp said:
Unfortunateley, Waterhall is the only site Collyer has categorically dismissed, which makes his contrary views even more difficult to stomach.

(Where, for example, does he get the notion that footballer supporters are prpared to walk 6 - 8km to a ground on a regular basis?). How close to Waterhall Toad's Hall have to be to be considered to be close to Waterhall even discounting the altitude change?

I think the Inspector must have arrived in a Tardis.

Clearly, he has zero empathy with supporters as adjudjed by his report, which effectively rubbishes much of the Albion points, and more demonstably by the way in which the whole thing is effectively slanted at all the alternatives (bar Waterhall) being better than Falmer, with Withdean head and shoulderrs above everything else.

One fatal flaw in the now outdated report is that his comparisons are based on our stature as a Div 2 club (or Div 3 in old money as I now prefer even more stroingly to refer to it as with the advent of the Championship and yet more confusion).

This fact will not go away. We are now just one league down from the best. Our average home attendance in 77/78, (Old Div 2) 78/79 (Old Div 2)and 79/80 (Old Div 1) was 25,264, 22,074 & 24,795 respectively, so please don't give me '96/'97 as a realistic comparison or the Gillingham years J. R.

The fact that we manage our finances so prudently and have gained success on the back of it is in spite of Withdean. It has nothing to recommend it as a long term or even short term proposition. 9k capacity simply is not enough. We are not a glorified Southwick, and bear more comparison with the likes of Charlton when potential is put into the equation, which clearly it has not by the Inspectorate at any stage. It simply does not support his standpoint and would silence the Nimbys and his argument that we are aptly suited to a small ground until Shoreham Harbour or the Second Coming.

Good post Bromley :clap:

I bloody hope the Club use points from your post (not direct but you know what I mean) when dismissing the use of Withdean as a future possibility.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
What I don't understand is how Mr Hoyle, who must be well educated and have good qualifications to achieve his position, can come up with a comment like "I have no doubt that Sheepcote Valley has far fewer planning disadvantages than Falmer, even taking account of present transport deficiencies".
Surely only a Falmer resident would agree with that.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Having been to Reading a number of times the similarities with sheepcote are frightening .. Everytime i have been there i have had to park south of the motorway and a good 20/30 min walf to the stadium .. the location i believe is on an old rubbish tip and certainly not near any railway station....what do Reading do ? they lay on extra buses and park and ride and have a sizeable carpark .. Sheepcote could have an enormous carpark and plenty of buses could be provided..,,Road links are poor in comparison to Falmer but could be updated at not too much extra cost ..Dont get me wrong i want a new stadium as quick as possible but the other sites with the exception of Brighton station and shoreham harbour are not cut and dried ruled out options ... at the end of the day i hope Falmer does prove to be a winner but lets just view things from somebody elses eyes before so as to get all angles

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Having been to Reading a number of times the similarities with sheepcote are frightening .. Everytime i have been there i have had to park south of the motorway and a good 20/30 min walf to the stadium .. the location i believe is on an old rubbish tip and certainly not near any railway station....what do Reading do ? they lay on extra buses and park and ride and have a sizeable carpark .. Sheepcote could have an enormous carpark and plenty of buses could be provided..,,Road links are poor in comparison to Falmer but could be updated at not too much extra cost ..Dont get me wrong i want a new stadium as quick as possible but the other sites with the exception of Brighton station and shoreham harbour are not cut and dried ruled out options ... at the end of the day i hope Falmer does prove to be a winner but lets just view things from somebody elses eyes before so as to get all angles

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
ditchy said:

Could using London Road Railway Station prove a viable alternative to get to Sheepcote from, given the potential walking distances that we're now talking about? Sorry to have to ask, but my geography of that part of town is somewhat limited.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'd rather walk from Falmer than London Road.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Don't be fooled by Sheepcote.

The anti-Falmer brigade are mentioning Sheepcote because it is not in the National Park plans and the downs lobby won't support them if they chose Toad's Hole or Waterhall.

Sheepcote is not really a practical idea, not if the Albion want fans to turn up. It is a bit like Gillingham in such an awkward place. I have even heard it suggested that it was quicker for some fans to get to Gillingham than it was Withdean. Sheepcote is a nightmare.

Just because Reading put their stadium in a grotty inconvenient place, it does not mean it is a good idea.

ditchy said:
Sheepcote could have an enormous carpark and plenty of buses could be provided
To get people to a stadium at Sheepcote Valley would require at least another 30 double deck buses - over and above the number of buses that are already committed to Falmer.

Either that or a massive car park and a totally unacceptable level of traffic congestion throughout East Brighton and the city centre.

The buses are simply not available, either. Not without shutting down a good proportion of the city's public transport system whenever a game is played.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
ALTERNATIVES? There aren't any! Just get it built at Falmer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here