Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All Night Caf or Down Right Naff?

Gluteus Maximus

Jul 10, 2003
Trumpton
I should write threads more often if I can be the bringer of cheaper prices to the good people of NSC!

Good stuff Rosco - of course I am on the top nosh side of the coin although it was always generally in a varied degree of inebriation. Being exiled haven't done it for a while - you were big but not bald in those days...

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Ah, Rosco, many's the time I've asked you for "scrambled egg, fried bread, beans, and .... shit, what did I want again? Oh yes and a coffee."

It really is the best place to eat in Brighton... and here's a little known fact... if you go in the morning THE FOOD COSTS LESS. While at college I occasionally used to open up at the shop I worked at, then finish at 7am. I'd often go to the diner for breakfast afterwards. I don't have many Albion-specific stories about the diner but I always try to go there whenever I'm in Brighton.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I've been on the telly three times: once on CNN, once at the Goldstone at the game vs Liverpool when we won on a Sunday, and, best of all, on MTV, being fed in the Market Diner, method acting as "Fat Bloke 1" in a feature about Bentley Rhythm Ace's "Theme From Gutbuster". Beat that.

Given how often Gluteus and I have frequented the place and how utterly trashed everyone is in there, I actually find it surprising how relatively few fights I've seen over the years. I like the way the gents is virtually in a cellar in another postal district.

And I'm sorry but the clientele's noisy and ribald response to ticket number "69" STILL makes me laugh every time. I actually feel disappointed if I get down there and I've just missed that ticket.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Lord Bracknell said:
Top place.

I remember the Albion centenery celebration - the "Evening of Legends". Cost a bloody fortune for one of the worst meals I've ever eaten (with service to match).

All came good, though, with a late night visit to the Market Diner and a plateful of some decent scran.

*** Recommended.

So good that some members of our party forgot they weren't hungry and automatically ordered breakfast! I still remember Leamington Ralph looking at his baked beans in some sort of wonder...

What makes the place excellent is their understanding of how to feed lots of people lots of food quickly. No faffing around AND you get your tea served straightaway in a proper mug.

I'd put in a word for Eddies Caff in Lewes tho'. Comes a very close second.

The first time I went there it wasn't an all nighter.
My mates and I sponged a lift to Cinderellas at Sayers Common on the promise of a lift home from someone who was (allegedly) going to be there to give us a lift back.

Our lift there cleared off home and our lift home never showed up. 3 of us hiked back to Pyecombe before getting a lift off an Atlas truck to the centre of Brighton.
We had to wait for the market diner to open to get something to eat and then to get a bus home.
On the face of it sounds naff, but one of those stories we remember with affection and amusement (well, after the blisters wore off anyway!!)
:lolol: :drink: :rolleyes: :drink:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ahhh memories. You can't get Gutbusters after an allnighter in Roppongi, more's the pity.

I knew 2 blokes that could eat the double gutbuster, both rugby players though one was an enormous prop forward and the other, a skinny Kiwi fullback.

It was always a gutbuster for me which I'd come within maybe 5 mouthfuls of eating before accidentally flicking fag ash in my tea and very nearly falling out of the door :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here