Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alireza Jahanbakhsh 1.4million

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The only bit of possible good news is that AJ's agent came over to England to check out our facilities and the stadium etc. Which shows that his agent thinks it is possible for him to come here, and he didn't just tell us to piss off becuase all these other clubs were interested. Why would he take the time to come over here if he was going to sign somewhere else?

Not that it shows a done deal, but it gives us a chance anyhow.

Using us as a pawn to speed up offers from elsewhere? In reality it's just a day out for his manager.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Which we probably paid the expenses.

which proves a point as we get older we get just a little more cynical

I thought exactly the same :lolol:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Using us as a pawn to speed up offers from elsewhere? In reality it's just a day out for his manager.

Would he have travelled all the way up to say Sunderland or Middlesbrough? Although not all that much further, it seems so.

For a winger, what has the most prospects, the top tier in Belgium or Holland or the (bottom of the) Championship?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The only bit of possible good news is that AJ's agent came over to England to check out our facilities and the stadium etc. Which shows that his agent thinks it is possible for him to come here, and he didn't just tell us to piss off becuase all these other clubs were interested. Why would he take the time to come over here if he was going to sign somewhere else?

Not that it shows a done deal, but it gives us a chance anyhow.

Even if you had no interest in joining the Albion player and manager would still make the trip because it is a bargaining chip in the game of poker that the summer transfer window has become.

You assume the lad will want to play in the Premier League so joining a contending Championship club gives you three bites of the cherry - you either go up with your club, or a Championship rival that gets promoted or you're snapped up by a Prem club having been in the shop window and have done well. Because of this the increased money in the Prem makes the Championship a more attractive option. The player's manager should be aware the likes of Ulloa and Barnes have taken this route via the Albion, and because we never replaced Buckley with a permanent signing there's a lot of boxes being ticked for this lad.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think that if he is really any good he will try for a top flight club in Belgium, Holland, Spain or Germany. Championship (especially a near the bottom) is a poor alternative. A struggling PL club is not so good a choice for a winger either.

It will need something special to persuade him to come to us. I think we might be able to match the wages, so it could be the type of football he prefers.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think that if he is really any good he will try for a top flight club in Belgium, Holland, Spain or Germany. Championship (especially a near the bottom) is a poor alternative. A struggling PL club is not so good a choice for a winger either.

It will need something special to persuade him to come to us. I think we might be able to match the wages, so it could be the type of football he prefers.

I hope we've kept quiet on that front :lolol:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
shedloads.jpg

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Think people are down playing us somewhat. Despite last seasons performance we are not a 'struggling' championship side. We have a new stadium and facilities he would not have seen before.

The Championship is a massively competitive league. It's bigger than most of The top divisions in Europe (bar Spain, Germany, France and maybe Portugual). I believe rated as the 6th best.

Also, this guy is looking to further his career. Breaking through in England is a massive step forward. Why go to an English team in the Premiership or the spainish/German leagues where he realises he'll struggle?

I'm hopeful. By the way Naylor talks, he thinks it could happen. It's a good fit.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Think people are down playing us somewhat. Despite last seasons performance we are not a 'struggling' championship side. We have a new stadium and facilities he would not have seen before.

The Championship is a massively competitive league. It's bigger than most of The top divisions in Europe (bar Spain, Germany, France and maybe Portugual). I believe rated as the 6th best.

Also, this guy is looking to further his career. Breaking through in England is a massive step forward. Why go to an English team in the Premiership or the spainish/German leagues where he realises he'll struggle?

I'm hopeful. By the way Naylor talks, he thinks it could happen. It's a good fit.

Did you forget Italy?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I'd be shocked if this whole thing is anything but a case of his agent/manager/life coach using our interest to attract a bid from elsewhere.
I'm starting to think this. Either that or his agent is desperately trying to drum up bids from elsewhere to drive up the price and wages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here