Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alexis Mac Allister - *** New Contract Until 2025 ***

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
It’s fairly black and white, isn’t it? If the boy is keen to come over to the PL now, then the club should do all they can to get him. If he wants to see out his season at Boca, then let him do so. Easy-peasy. I bet no-one’s even THOUGHT of that.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It’s fairly black and white, isn’t it? If the boy is keen to come over to the PL now, then the club should do all they can to get him. If he wants to see out his season at Boca, then let him do so. Easy-peasy. I bet no-one’s even THOUGHT of that.
Yes this.

And also realise that any stories in the Argentinian press that say he is unhappy coming here.... will be playing to the target audience - the very forgiving and very unpassionate Boca fans.

No need to get all gloomy when they inevitably appear. It will all be managed PR for the Argentinians.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Player power? Who'd have thought it in this day and age!

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Player power? Who'd have thought it in this day and age!

Well, yes. But he’s a young man with ambitions and dreams, not just a commodity, and I could well understand why he might want to finish off his glorious season in Argentina before turning his attention to the PL. If he does want to, that is. Maybe he can’t WAIT to get over here.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Defender?:moo:

Return to Argentina? Eh!

From bbc website

Brighton defender Alexis MacAllister has been linked with a permanent return to Argentina after joining Boca Juniors on loan last summer. But the Seagulls' boss Graham Potter wasn't giving much away.

He said at today's news conference: "It would be unfair for me to speak about a player that hasn't played for us. I wouldn't want to speak about someone that's not ours at the moment."

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Oh, I absolutely agree with that. I'd be massively concerned on the expectations placed on the shoulders of a young player who has never lived in the UK and never kicked a ball in the Premier League before.

If we do bring him back in the near future, we need to trust Potter et al to use him as is appropriate.

I assume it's not a case of being desperate in terms of how we think he'll impact our current season, rather the concern he wouldn't be granted the work permit again in the summer? As if we take him now, I assume the work permit covers his contract till June 2023. If we don't get him now, and apply for a work permit again in the summer, and it's rejected, we're stuck without him till at least Jan 2021.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I assume it's not a case of being desperate in terms of how we think he'll impact our current season, rather the concern he wouldn't be granted the work permit again in the summer? As if we take him now, I assume the work permit covers his contract till June 2023. If we don't get him now, and apply for a work permit again in the summer, and it's rejected, we're stuck without him till at least Jan 2021.
I'm not sure it does.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

Beat me to it. I can't believe that if he doesn't want to leave until the end of the season, then dragging him from a championship chase in his own balmy country, over to a wet, soggy and chilly Sussex for a relegation scuffle, wouldn't cheese him right off. It'd hardly endear us to him.

A certain football finances podcast has talked about 'players as commodities', and it just feels grubby; and though yes of course, we can try and do what we like with him, to not take into account the player's feelings here, I would imagine is foolhardy.

**I'm not suggesting of course that we haven't asked him, it's just that there's only talk of how many hundreds of thousands of euros we've offered to cut the loan short. No hint of "...and MacAllister is believed to want to go to Brighton/stay in Argentina...", which I'd like to see.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Beat me to it. I can't believe that if he doesn't want to leave until the end of the season, then dragging him from a championship chase in his own balmy country, over to a wet, soggy and chilly Sussex for a relegation scuffle, wouldn't cheese him right off. It'd hardly endear us to him.

A certain football finances podcast has talked about 'players as commodities', and it just feels grubby; and though yes of course, we can try and do what we like with him, to not take into account the player's feelings here, I would imagine is foolhardy.

**I'm not suggesting of course that we haven't asked him, it's just that there's only talk of how many hundreds of thousands of euros we've offered to cut the loan short. No hint of "...and MacAllister is believed to want to go to Brighton/stay in Argentina...", which I'd like to see.
Anything in the Argentinian press will give the impression that he has no choice, and it is against his will - otherwise he will go from being hero to money grabbing traitor. It'll all be PR managing the situation.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Anything in the Argentinian press will give the impression that he has no choice, and it is against his will - otherwise he will go from being hero to money grabbing traitor. It'll all be PR managing the situation.

But *if* he has a choice, it'd be positive PR either way if he was allowed to air it?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think you're over-reacting here slightly.

By all accounts the club had no expectation that a work permit would be secured for the player during the term of this current loan, but a change of circumstances made that possible.

As such, it seems the loan didn't include any recall clause - why would it (hindsight is great, right) - which is why we would need to compensate Boca to get him back ahead of schedule.

No over-reaction at all.

Explain to us what has happened that wasn't entirely foreseeable?

The club might lose half a million pounds or more, because someone didn't insert a perfectly standard clause into a contract, because apparently someone decided it "probably" wouldn't be needed.

In any other business heads would roll

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
All this, “he doesn’t want to come here” stuff ….

What a small club mentality you lot have got.

Every single player playing in South America is desperate to get their move the Europe and especially the Premier League. Even a lower premier club is paying 10 times higher wages than Boca or River Plate or anyone else in South America.

Now Alexis, being on our books, is probably getting his entire Premier League contract paid to him at the moment. But what does he expect? That we’re just going to keep him out there for ever?

Plus if he’s over here, he’s in the spotlight, giving him the chance to get an even bigger contract from us or someone else in the coming years.

Apart from someone who is right at the end of their career, like Tevez, there’s nobody at all who consciously decides to leave European football to have a try in the Argentinian leagues. Nobody.

All this stuff about it being cold here. It hasn’t stopped all the hundreds of other foreigners from wanting to come to our leagues.

And what evidence do you all have that he’s so desperate to stay over there? An article from his dad saying he’s enjoying his time at Boca? Did you think that given it wasn’t Alexis that wrote it, the interview was in another language and that news reporters are news reporters you probably needn’t take it too personally?

Not even a footballer is stupid enough to sign for a club they don’t want to play for.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
All this, “he doesn’t want to come here” stuff ….

What a small club mentality you lot have got.

Every single player playing in South America is desperate to get their move the Europe and especially the Premier League. Even a lower premier club is paying 10 times higher wages than Boca or River Plate or anyone else in South America.

Now Alexis, being on our books, is probably getting his entire Premier League contract paid to him at the moment. But what does he expect? That we’re just going to keep him out there for ever?

Plus if he’s over here, he’s in the spotlight, giving him the chance to get an even bigger contract from us or someone else in the coming years.

Apart from someone who is right at the end of their career, like Tevez, there’s nobody at all who consciously decides to leave European football to have a try in the Argentinian leagues. Nobody.

All this stuff about it being cold here. It hasn’t stopped all the hundreds of other foreigners from wanting to come to our leagues.

And what evidence do you all have that he’s so desperate to stay over there? An article from his dad saying he’s enjoying his time at Boca? Did you think that given it wasn’t Alexis that wrote it, the interview was in another language and that news reporters are news reporters you probably needn’t take it too personally?

Not even a footballer is stupid enough to sign for a club they don’t want to play for.

Plus the standard in Argentina is absolutely shit. The Premier league is light years ahead, I would imagine he would jump at the chance to play in it at the first available opportunity.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Plus the standard in Argentina is absolutely shit. The Premier league is light years ahead, I would imagine he would jump at the chance to play in it at the first available opportunity.

It’s easy to get a false impression of the standard of the Argie league due to number of world class players that have come from there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here