[Albion] Alexis Mac Allister: Albion legend?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Alexis Mac Allister an Albion club legend?

• Of course he is!

Votes: 144 52.6%
  • Nah.

Votes: 130 47.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ask me again at the end of next season.

We're a big club now, with big players.
And big balls.

Not a legend, for me. Fantastic player - who was involved in some amazing goals and performances and certainly loves the Albion - but legendary status is reserved for players who've stuck around a bit longer (and that's not a dig at him - good luck to the fella!).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not here long enough to earn that honour.

Should be playing near a minimum of 200 games as a player for that honour to become a possibility.

Put him in the iconic player group.
Good call, I think 'iconic player' is a fair description. Obviously he is (sorry, 'was') not just a run-of-the-mill player, not even in our current star-studded squad, but 'legend'? Hmmm.

I am sad he left, he was a great player and a great guy and we will undoubtedly miss him hugely, both on and off the pitch, but out of the current squad I'd say only Dunk and Gross are both true legends in the Ward/Zamora class. And as someone else has said legends don't disappear at the first offer having engineered a cut-price exit. (And no I'm not blaming the club, it was what Mac wanted, and fair enough).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Legendary status is something to live long in the memory, spoken about in decades to come. Longevity is certainly a criteria, but surely legends are made from more than just the number of appearances. Bringing some absolute Argentine genius to our midfield and walking out in the stripes a World Cup winner is surely the stuff of legend?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Nobby Horton was at the club for a similar length of time and is classed as a legend by many, well Mac Allister certainly is after collecting the world cup. His consummate professionalism and attitude while at the club, both on and off the field has been a shining example to others here.

A real legend, yes indeed.

I am actually quite sad he has gone, far more than I have been when any other player or manager has left recently.
He goes with my heart and eternal admiration for what he gave this club.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
100% yes

Unless something even more extraordinary happens and we have a handful of players winning the biggest hounours, he will be talked about for generations, that to me is a legend.

Whenever a conversation comes up in 30 years about Albion’s greatest players, his name will crop up, especially if he wins things at Liverpool.

Think Lawrenson. Whatever he thinks about us most from that era had him as our best ever player until recently.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Nobby Horton was at the club for a similar length of time and is classed as a legend by many, well Mac Allister certainly is after collecting the world cup. His consummate professionalism and attitude while at the club, both on and off the field has been a shining example to others here.

A real legend, yes indeed.

I am actually quite sad he has gone, far more than I have been when any other player or manager has left recently.
He goes with my heart and eternal admiration for what he gave this club.
I agree. Legend isn’t about longevity or whether the player was brilliant or not. For example I would consider Robbie Reinelt a legend of this football club for a moment in time rather than his talent or length of service.

Legends are those woven into the history of the football club, sometimes it might be longevity and loyalty, but other times it might be what they go on to achieve like Lawro, or that seminal moment like Reinelt.

Mac Allister for me, coming to us a teenager and leaving a World Cup winner is legendary for this football club.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It’s a word that can be overused.
We have one very obvious legend.
And two who are close to legendary status.
In some ways it’s an insult to Dunk to call Mac a legend too.

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
Voted yes as I believe last season was amazing and most of the players of last season will go down as legends.As for Alex think he will go on to have a brilliant career and seems a top bloke so yes from me

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
I agree. Legend isn’t about longevity or whether the player was brilliant or not. For example I would consider Robbie Reinelt a legend of this football club for a moment in time rather than his talent or length of service.

Legends are those woven into the history of the football club, sometimes it might be longevity and loyalty, but other times it might be what they go on to achieve like Lawro, or that seminal moment like Reinelt.

Mac Allister for me, coming to us a teenager and leaving a World Cup winner is legendary for this football club.
This.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
If he goes on to have a top career winning domestic trophies then he'll gain legendary status in the football world. Some of that success will be attributed to us.

Not sure he quite meets the criteria of club legend though, although he has the potential to be the greatest player to have played for us.
Brighton will be airbrushed out of the AliMac story. The ‘establishment’ football world and the overwhelming majority of its followers expects us to be the next Southampton.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I understand those who say he hasn’t spent long enough with us to be a true club legend. The counter argument to that is that he’s the first player to win a World Cup while playing for us, he was part of the squad that got us into Europe for the first time in our history, and he gave us everything while he was here.

Legend. To me at least. He’ll be missed.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Summed up very well. You have not mentioned the other ‘two’ but everyone will know who you mean.
For me legendary aligns with longevity and achievement.

AlI Mac, great player, WC winner, a nice guy, and part of the squad that achieved greatness. Thank you!

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Short answer No he is not an Albion legend, great player, nice guy who served us well, yes he won the world cup, but that does not put him into the same league as Nobby, Peter Ward, or currently Dunks, or even a somewhat tarnished Bruno.
I agree - in my very humble opinion (that really only matters to me) a legend is a once in a generation player who makes a big difference. I really like Ali Mac and he has been one of a number of really good players as well as coming across as a thoroughly decent man, but not a legend here, he wasn’t with us long enough

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Good call, I think 'iconic player' is a fair description. Obviously he is (sorry, 'was') not just a run-of-the-mill player, not even in our current star-studded squad, but 'legend'? Hmmm.

I am sad he left, he was a great player and a great guy and we will undoubtedly miss him hugely, both on and off the pitch, but out of the current squad I'd say only Dunk and Gross are both true legends in the Ward/Zamora class. And as someone else has said legends don't disappear at the first offer having engineered a cut-price exit. (And no I'm not blaming the club, it was what Mac wanted, and fair enough).

Solly is almost to legend status. 250 games and a great story behind his grind to make it to the top of his game in our most talented team ever.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes.

A great player who was key to me watching the best Albion football in my 47 years of following, the wonderful finale achieving our dream of European football. Add to that he’s a humble bloke and a WC winner whilst with us. Manure gave up trying to compete with him, so starting hacking.

I dismiss the two slurs that’ve emerged - he lacks Caicedo’s pace so he’s average, plus he’s a traitor joining a bigger club. Meow. I look forward to reading the hate when Caicedo joins Chelsea.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Really, so your basing it on length of time at the club, Mark Lawrenson spent just over 3 years at the club, he was no fancy Dan on the ball & he is a legend is he not to the older folks on here ? What did he ever win while here ? I think we will watch him grow and go on to win many more trophies and only then will some folk hark back to watching him, telling their kids, we once had a world cup winner, quietly going about his business in midfield, so what he was not always the one who showboated or had the silky skills of some, but he was at the heart of our growth, we grew side by side as a club and him as a player. and we have achieved our best EVER season, with him at the heart, and that is why he will always stay in mine, and is a legend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports