Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alex Pritchard

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Parachute payments should be there to pay for the players who were on PL contracts being paid an otherwise unaffordable rate for the Championship, and the PL and FL help pay for them accordingly.

The 'compensation' would be calculated as a proportion of the loss of earnings a club receives having left the PL, and can only go on currently contracted players.

Nothing more.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What has the club done wrong on this score? They've said nothing, and I doubt Naylor's source was from the club itself.

I didn't say the club had done wrong, I'm sure they weren't the ones releasing info about the fee having been agreed, in final stages of negotiations etc.

Its almost certainly going to be the agent putting it out there, in the hope of either generating an auction, or attracting another club who can come in and throw more money at him and his client. Which, inevitably, is EXACTLY what has just gone and happened. Job done innit.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
It's frustrating but we put to much stock in our love for our club.

If you were a postman in Brighton earning £500 a week and got offered the chance to work in Hove for £675 a week you'd agree to do it. Then if, at the last minute, Saltdean Post Office said they were hiring postman for £1500 a week I think we'd all be tempted!!

It's their job.

100% this. In my old job I was on £28,000 I enjoyed it and loved the people, had been there for a long time. But then a new company came along, further away from home but discussed an opportunity they had, discussed what we could achieve with input from them and me and offered a package worth £50,000.

Of course I took the job - 99% of people would. Luckily it has turned out well and I love it here more than the last place but I would be a liar if I said the money wasn't what did it for me at first - my family have to come first.

Football is a job

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It's possible he still might sign, Norwich have had all summer to sign him, but IMO are signing him as a preventive tactic to stop us having a better chance at promotion. Pritchard won't be playing all the time at Norwich. But if he signs for them, because they can offer double wages and he'll be in and out of the side, it will say a good bit about his character. Having sat about at Tottenham last season, he either doesn't mind doing that, or will sign for us, play matches and have a good chance at being in the PL next year.

Does this mean that the powerhouse of football, Norwich, see us as a liable threat.
Hopefully the lad is quite grounded, and will not influenced too much by his vulture agent.
Agree to agree to sign for us.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I didn't say the club had done wrong, I'm sure they weren't the ones releasing info about the fee having been agreed, in final stages of negotiations etc.

Its almost certainly going to be the agent putting it out there, in the hope of either generating an auction, or attracting another club who can come in and throw more money at him and his client. Which, inevitably, is EXACTLY what has just gone and happened. Job done innit.
True enough.

I was more quoting you as a response to others who had said 'what happened to the days when we said nothing... blah, blah, blah...'.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Parachute payments should be there to pay for the players who were on PL contracts being paid an otherwise unaffordable rate for the Championship, and the PL and FL help pay for them accordingly.

The 'compensation' would be calculated as a proportion of the loss of earnings a club receives having left the PL, and can only go on currently contracted players.

Nothing more.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

I would completely disagree.

They shouldn't be there at all. They should run their business properly and be prepared for such eventualities and have wage reductions/release clauses in the event of relegation. It's everything that is wrong with football - spend loads and don't worry if you fail as you will get bailed out

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
If personal terms had been agreed, presumably last night, why have we dragged it out?
What makes you think 'we' have?

'Yep. Those terms look fine to us. Now we have this marker, we'll see what anyone else will pay...' etc.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
It's frustrating but we put to much stock in our love for our club.

If you were a postman in Brighton earning £500 a week and got offered the chance to work in Hove for £675 a week you'd agree to do it. Then if, at the last minute, Saltdean Post Office said they were hiring postman for £1500 a week I think we'd all be tempted!!

It's their job.

Not always the case though, I could earn twice as much doing my job in London but am not in the slightest bit interested and never will be.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
True enough.

I was more quoting you as a response to others who had said 'what happened to the days when we said nothing... blah, blah, blah...'.

I think I said elsewhere on another thread, our successful captures almost ALWAYS come in under the radar, with an official confirmation and a cheesy-grin-with-a-shirt photo at the stadium/training ground.

Once these "we're in negotiations with..." snippets come out into the open, I think the rule of thumb now is to pretty much write off any hopes of it actually happening. Unless its some 19 year old from Runcorn or something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here